SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to remove streaks from windshield?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to remove streaks from windshield? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

We recently purchased a used 2014 Honda Accord for my wife. While driving it at night, we noticed that some streaking exists on the outside of the windshield in the path that the wipers take when being used. It's really only noticeable with the oncoming car headlights or tail lights. I tried using Windex to remove them but it didn't work. I kinda suspect the previous owner used some sort of product on it like Rain-X or something. These aren't scrapes in the actual glass, but some sort of streaky build-up. What would you suggest I use to remove the streaks? Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
White vinegar cuts a lot of crud build up.
Give that a try, use plenty of elbow grease!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Glass Cleaning Clay

Griot's Garage 11049 Glass Cleaning Clay 3.5oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004..._api_i_c2rdCbV30EJ4S

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Toyota recommends Bon Ami original 1864 formula, not the regular Bon Ami.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Glass Cleaning Clay

Griot's Garage 11049 Glass Cleaning Clay 3.5oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004..._api_i_c2rdCbV30EJ4S

Black - Thanks for posting this link...Did not know there was something out there like this...I have tried white vinegar on my wife’s 2010 SUV windshield with very limited success...Going to order a tub of this today and give it a try....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Same deal on my car.
Tried vinegar, clay, Dawn soap, Acetone and a couple other things.

What finally worked was plastic polish and a buffer.

Not sure if it's the deicer used on the roads or if the previous owner treated the windows with some sort of miracle juice but it was a PITA to get off.

Almost don't need wipers now.
Edit to add: Didn't use the glass clay just regular body clay.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

Did you mean 1886 ?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
quote:
Glass Cleaning Clay

Black - Thanks for posting this link...Did not know there was something out there like this...I have tried white vinegar on my wife’s 2010 SUV windshield with very limited success...Going to order a tub of this today and give it a try....Mark

One can use a regular clay bar but it tends to be a little softer clay and sticks a bit more to glass for some reason.
The Griots is good stuff.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMAR professional grade glass polish will get everything off that isn't the glass itself and is easy to use.
https://www.amazon.com/IMAR-Pr...Polish/dp/B00P1JJSWQ

The other thing that will work 100% is Whink laundry stain remover (in a brown bottle) found in the grocery section. Do not use in sunlight or if the windshield is hot. Put it liberally on a folded paper towel and lightly (no pressure)rub a 1' section of glass at a time in a circular motion until the windshield appears smooth and wipe it off while it is still wet with a dry papper towel, do not allow it to dry on the windshield.

You're going to want to rain-x the windshield after. And, chances are it's the wipers degrading and they're leaving the film on the windshield.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem. I've used everything I could think of.
Im wondering if cheap glass is the problem.
Mine is if the sticky holding the blue protective plastic won't come off, residue that only shows when wipers run and cars coming toward me.
I'm ready to have glass replaced ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

Did you mean 1886 ?

I did. Working from memory, I should have checked before posting. Thanks for the correction.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Dish soap in warm water. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Then use SprayWay glass cleaner to finish.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
White vinegar cuts a lot of crud build up.
Give that a try, use plenty of elbow grease!

That is a trick that my mother used. She also used newspaper instead paper towels. Very effective.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
[
One can use a regular clay bar but it tends to be a little softer clay and sticks a bit more to glass for some reason.

Use regular clay bar with Invisible Glass as a lubricant. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Attack windshield cleaning in these steps. Try each step individually and only move to the next if the step you implemented didn't solve the problem.

1 - Chemical. Start with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) and wipe down the entire windshield. If it can be dissolved IPA will dissolve it. Clean with your favorite glass cleaner when done. (**Warning: Keep this stuff off the paint.)

2 - Clay Bar. Any good clay bar (medium abrasive or heavier) will work. The Griots stuff above is just marketing hype. Its the same medium abrasive clay bar you can buy at dozens of other places. Use lots of lubricant (I use a bucket of clean water mixed with a 'good' car wash soap). While you're at it, carefully use a razor blade (hold it almost horizontal to the surface of the glass) while the windshield is soapy, to remove anything adhered to the it. Wash and rinse well when done, dry, and do a final cleaning with your favorite glass cleaner.

3 - Abrasive. This is where I'd direct you to a good local detailer. Windshield glass is tough, but you 'can' screw it up even worse if you're not careful. This stage is best performed by a pro, and if done correctly, can leave you with a truly amazing outcome.

If the previous owner didn't swap out wiper blades as needed, and ran worn ones, you may have micro marring in the windshield. If that's the case, nothing short of step # 3 is going to make a difference.

Here's a pretty good overview of the process.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bar Keeper's Friend has been my standby for years. Started using it because RainX suggested it as a way to prepare and clean the glass before treatment.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Hammer+Insurance?

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'm gonna try a few of those suggestions and will report back.

Chris

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
Hammer+Insurance?

Can you say " Insurance Fraud. "

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GotDogs:
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
Hammer+Insurance?

Can you say " Insurance Fraud. "

Well that, and even if you are a crook, you might want to check your deductible and the price of paying someone to replace the windshield...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post