SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    And we Humans think it is all about us
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And we Humans think it is all about us Login/Join 
posted
Earth Between the Rings of Saturn

This view from NASA's Cassini spacecraft shows planet Earth as a point of light between the icy rings of Saturn.

The spacecraft captured the view on April 12, 2017 at 10:41 p.m. PDT (1:41 a.m. EDT). Cassini was 870 million miles (1.4 billion kilometers) away from Earth when the image was taken. Although far too small to be visible in the image, the part of Earth facing toward Cassini at the time was the southern Atlantic Ocean.

Earth's moon is also visible to the left of our planet in a cropped, zoomed-in version of the image.

The rings visible here are the A ring (at top) with the Keeler and Encke gaps visible, and the F ring (at bottom). During this observation Cassini was looking toward the backlit rings, making a mosaic of multiple images, with the sun blocked by the disk of Saturn.

Seen from Saturn, Earth and the other inner solar system planets are all close to the sun, and are easily captured in such images, although these opportunities have been somewhat rare during the mission. The F ring appears especially bright in this viewing geometry.

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/resources/7656/

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
cool pic

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Makes you feel a little insignificant.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Looks like Saturn viewed from behind my window blinds. Smile

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... what we do in our backwater system on the edge of the spiral arm, is insignificant to the rest of the universe(s).

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are "those" out there that laugh at us!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found earth in the photograph by trying to wipe a spec off of my tablet screen!
We are a spec in the solar system, not even a spec in the Milky Way galaxy, and the Milky Way is a minor blob in the universe.
Does put life in perspective!
Thanks for posting!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
They would first have to know that we exist. Our humble solar system is far from any other intelligent life that certainly exists.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107561 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Crap, looks like I forgot to roll up the garden hose again...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Carl Sagan's "Pale blue dot."

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
They would first have to know that we exist. Our humble solar system is far from any other intelligent life that certainly exists.

And we advertise our existence by shooting hardware off into space. Littering up the solar system one trillion dollar project at a time. Wonder how freaked out we'd be if a Cassini craft did a fly by of our little blue dot in space?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This Hubble photo always blows me away when I see it. Those are all galaxies billions of light-years away.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
billions of light-years away.

did you mean billions and billions ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah so? Saturn is full of hot air anyway, just like us humans.. Wink

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
We might only be a speck, but we're the best damn speck in the universe! Yeah earth power!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
Jimbo,
What really blows me away about this image (which is cropped at the top and bottom BTW) is, according to NASA's caption on their web site, that its perspective is as if you held a nickel at arms length looking at the thin edge out toward space. That is how small a slice of the universe it represents...mind boggling... Eek

Also, great image of our tiny planet WCB.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
This Hubble photo always blows me away when I see it. Those are all galaxies billions of light-years away.

Jim

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1236 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
Fat finger error...Still, 2 great images.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1236 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If the sun were 3 inches in diameter and located in Dallas, the Earth would be a grain of sand, Jupiter 117.4 feet away from Earth and the nearest star in Boston.

So yes, it is all about Dallas being the center of everything.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Truth. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post