SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Headed for Hawaii, Oahu, Pearl Harbor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headed for Hawaii, Oahu, Pearl Harbor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Ko' Olina

Marriott Vacation Club?

Winner... Aunt owns a time share condo here

Stayed there once, also have family that live on the golf course near there. That neck of the island is nice, isolated but, away from the knuckleheads.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
SO today we learned that booking tours of Pearl Harbor is as complicated as only the government could make it.

You can book in advance, but you can only see 1 day in advance for the Arizona Memorial even though you can book 2 months in advanced. So if you want to book for 7 Dec, you have to do it on 6 October. So we have to wait until 7am Tuesday to book for Wednesday. If that fails, we have to show up before 7am on Wednesday to get in line and roll the dice on 1300 available tickets.

So if you're planning a visit... bear this in mind

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
only a few more months and I'll be heading there Smile Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10907 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We stayed in Maui and flew over to see Pearl Harbor, ate lunch at Pig and the Lady (fantastic, go and eat there) then left Oahu back to Maui.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For snorkeling:
https://hanaumabaystatepark.com

For hiking:
https://www.journeyera.com/10-best-hikes-on-oahu/

For coffee:
Go ye to a local Costco and load up on 10 bags of Thunder Mountain 100% Kona coffee and ship it back to yourself in a large USPS fixed cost shipping box.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
There's always the Magnum PI house on the West (MEANT EAST /sigh) side of the island, but seeing it from up on the road was enough for us. Heh.

Interesting though, in the series whenever they gave directions to Robin's Nest, they invariably described the west side of the island, when everyone knew the Anderson Estate was on the east end, in Waimānalo.

Not anymore. The new owner tore it down and is building a new mansion. I’m glad I was able to get there in 07 to see it and swim in the tide pool. Lots of other original Magnum locations still there though.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Malasadas

Hanauma Bay

Nicos:

http://nicospier38.com/

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Dukes Restaurant for breakfast. Buy some granola. It is unbelievably good.

I will 3rd the USS Bowfin. It was one of the most memorable tours I have been on. Not life changing like the Arizona Memorial but still really awesome.

Check out the Wyland Art Gallery in Waikiki. It is really cool but a bit outside my budget.

When I travel, I try to visit at least one or two restaurants that have been on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Generally Guy picks some great places to eat.

Bring sunscreen!

Hang Loose. Smile

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I read somewhere the Arizona memorial is currently closed due to issues with the foundation? Might want to check on that

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked it and they are currently ( not sure if this is current but is the best info I could find) only doing boat rides around the memorial and battleship row without setting food on the actual monument. I have visited 3 times and it is a great tour.
It has been a while but you might want to check out the “ home of the brave” tour. An all day tour with stops at fort Schafter, schofield barracks Hickam field and Pearl Harbor with lunch included.
Little trivia the largest military airfield in the pacific during world war 2 was on Maui, but sadly none of it remains except some memorial plaques

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I thought I read somewhere the Arizona memorial is currently closed due to issues with the foundation? Might want to check on that

I was just on Oahu and visited Pearl Harbor in mid-September. The Arizona Memorial was closed at that time due to continued cracks in the piers where the motor launch docks at the Memorial. I saw no signs of work being done on the dock area but local news and notices posted at the Victory in the Pacific exhibits stated that although there was no firm date for the Memorial to reopen, a mid-October reopening was anticipated, I am going back on November 11th but not sure if I will get back to Pearl Harbor on this trip.

Last trip discovered that Schofield Army base is open to US citizens. You just have to show US I’d and proof of insurance for any vehicle you drive on the base and you can get a 24 hour day pass.

The Marine base at Kaneohe, not so easy. Smile

If I remember, I will update the thread in November if I can confirm the status of the Arizona Memorial.

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Little trivia the largest military airfield in the pacific during world war 2 was on Maui, but sadly none of it remains except some memorial plaques

OK, we lived on Maui for seven years, saw remains of ammo dumps but never heard about this. Obviously somewhere on the isthmus. Where are the plaques?

OK, found a great Link.

I always figured that huge concrete blockhouse along Mokulele Highway was a WW II leftover.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

I was just on Oahu and visited Pearl Harbor in mid-September. The Arizona Memorial was closed at that time due to continued cracks in the piers where the motor launch docks at the Memorial. I saw no signs of work being done on the dock area but local news and notices posted at the Victory in the Pacific exhibits stated that although there was no firm date for the Memorial to reopen, a mid-October reopening was anticipated, I am going back on November 11th but not sure if I will get back to Pearl Harbor on this trip.

Last trip discovered that Schofield Army base is open to US citizens. You just have to show US I’d and proof of insurance for any vehicle you drive on the base and you can get a 24 hour day pass.

The Marine base at Kaneohe, not so easy. Smile

If I remember, I will update the thread in November if I can confirm the status of the Arizona Memorial.

My planned November return to Oahu was delayed until 12/3-12/6, but the Arizona Monument is still closed. Per a Wikipedia update:
On May 6, 2018, boat transportation to the memorial was suspended after one of the vessel operators noticed a crack on its outside. Although repairs were made, the cracks reappeared. The memorial was closed on May 26, 2018, and will remain closed until at least March 2019. However, boat tours around the memorial and the other ships on Battleship Row continue to be made.[

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Do you like sushi? Real stuff not rolls and crap.

Nigiri Sushi....Yohei ($$$) in Kalhi/Kapalama is always busy, out of the way location, but always a full counter. Yanagi Sushi ($$$) on Kapiolani Blvd. is a popular favorite! If you want all you can eat, Kat's Sushi ($$) on S. King St. is good to go, Ted (owner) is a long time sushi guy.

Of course Waikiki has lot of new places, so many to choose from these days.

If you want a "local" style experience, try Side Street Inn, has two locations (Kona St./Kapahulu), both serve local style "pupu's" and it is excellent (if you like food, this is the place), plus you get to see the local crowd, always crowded especially on the weekends, but its something to experience, not your standard Chili's type operation, if you feel more comfortable with other tourists Waikiki has a bunch of places to hang, Duke's Canoe (Kalakaua), Yard House (Lewer's St.). Enjoy!

Ohh...the original post was back in Oct., oh well enjoy just the same!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post