SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scotland Yard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotland Yard Login/Join 
posted
I am curious about the current standing of this British institution. Is it politicized as well? It used to have a stellar reputation for crime solving.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My brother got ripped off on-line and eventually found the guy in England.

He called and left a phone message for someone to please call him.

Detective from Scotland Yard called him on his time (EST) and listened to the entire event.

Said he would look into it.

Called Chuck back several weeks later and the detective was able to start a case there about all the fraud the suspect had been doing. Although Chuck declined to prosecute (he couldn't afford to travel to Great Britain) the detective kept Chuck int he loop.

Chuck said the detective was very polite and helpful.

This was 2-3 years ago.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Based on my following of news in the UK, Scotland Yard has about the same degree of stupidity in the name of political correctness as is infecting our federal law enforcement community.

They still break big cases and send lots of criminals to prison.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Like most large law enforcement entities, they have there share of foibles, quirks and internal politics. They do have first rate criminal and forensic investigative ability for sure. It was sorta ironic with their concerns about middle eastern extremists groups and perimeter concerns, that they sold their old HQ to Abu Dhabi financial group.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
In addition to the politicization, I've also suspected that too many years of all counter-terrorism all the time greatly diminished other law enforcement skills the FBI used to be good at.

I was hoping Scotland Yard faired better since intelligence was already split between MI-5 and MI-6, and hoped the Brits hadn't politicized Scotland Yard either.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Based on my following of news in the UK, Scotland Yard has about the same degree of stupidity in the name of political correctness as is infecting our federal law enforcement community.

If this is any indication of the above, the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police (London) is a woman called Cressida Dick.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:If this is any indication of the above, the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police (London) is a woman called Cressida Dick.

In general, the population is substantially less than impressed by this lady's performance in the July 7th bombing attacks that left 55 dead and almost a thousand injured. Her inept dithering as the local incident commander got an innocent Brazilian guy [Carlos de Menezes] shot dead in the Stockwell tube station, and she walked away with a commendation....go figure.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Call Whitehall 1212 and ask.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post