SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Surefire 9P Explosion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surefire 9P Explosion Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
Was using it today and it went very dim, I thought the batteries were going dead. I shut it off and set it off to the side. About 2 hours later I heard a very loud crack and the smell of something burning. I turned off my main breaker in the breaker box thinking it was an electrical problem, mainly due to the smell. After about a 20 minute search I found the end of the surefire, the side with the on/off switch, was tore open, blew the switch out. Took the 3 batteries out and the one, closest to the bulb, was charred, obviously was burning. It melted the chromed hood, behind the lens, built up enough pressure to blow out the switch. Thank God the switch went and not the body of the flashlight.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What kind of batteries? Surefire CR123? If so, I'd be on the phone with them ASAP.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
CR123 are Lithium batteries. Sounds like you could have had a lithium-gas ignition.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Duracell

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Were they Duracell primary lithium cells (actual CR123s), or rechargeable cells (RCR-123, 16340)?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Good thing that was not in your pocket!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Primary, not rechargeable.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Were they Duracell primary lithium cells (actual CR123s), or rechargeable cells (RCR-123, 16340)?

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I'd contact Duracell, they're good about paying for the stuff their batteries destroy. They bought me a keyboard when their alkalines leaked. They'd likely want to know about the battery anyway, and collect identifying info. Perhaps also report to the Consumer Products Safety Commission?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wont use anything but Surefire batteries in Surefire lights. Never use chinese made batteries. The Duracells are made in the US. Were they mixed with other battery brands?

Some batteries can thermal if placed in a high-draw environment.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Duracell

Picked up my Fenix and found one of the Duracell batteries has leaked, and then swollen. I had to hammer it out. The switch suffered from the leak and didn't work.

Duracell sent a refund for the cost of the light. What was needed was information off the battery (the good until date and a number off the battery). They also wanted to know the replacement cost. I just gave then links to online flashlights.

The only odd part was they used Chase to transfer the money. You had to create and account, then have it sent to you bank account. Otherwise you could get a check in 6-8 weeks.

It was good service. i did check the comments online. Seems most were about not getting the information off the battery.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I am about halfway scared of those CR123 batteries after having read several accounts like this. I've been phasing out flashlights that use them, in favor of ones that use the leaky alkaline AA bateries.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have 8 Surefire lights for training and have been using Surefire lights and their batteries for more than 25 years. This is the first I have heard of this happening. I am curious as to what Surefire has to say about it

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
seems to happen when mixing cr123 batteries with different voltages in the same light; fresh and spent / almost spent.

do search site:www.candlepowerforums.com/ cr123 explosion

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is also new to me. I've been using the 123 lithium batteries in flashlights (Surefire, Fenix, and 4Sevens) for over 20 years and never had a problem. I've used Duracell, Surefire, and Nuon (Batteries+ brand). However, I've never mixed brands. I'll have to check out that thread. Thanks.

ETA: Also, if a flashlight starts dying on me, I replace both batteries with new ones.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryarnaud,

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
That's why you always have a tester when running multiple CR123's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...csd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Were they all fresh cells? If you put in cells with different voltages, it can cause them to explode.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In order to tell you how long I have been using Surefire lights, I will just say I have a 3P that still works fine. Original bulb.
No problems ever with SF.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post