SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone play disc golf?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone play disc golf? Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted
We have a couple of free disc golf courses close to home. On my bike ride today I drove by one and stopped to talk to a guy who told me how fun it is. It's free to play the courses, all you need are your discs, basically driver, iron and putter types of discs although the guy I talked to must have had a dozen in his bag. I told my son about it and now we both want to give it a shot. Anybody played it or can give recommendations? There are a couple of stores that sell the discs so we are going to run over there and see what the offer

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I used to play regularly in my teens in the late 70s. I wasn't good enough to compete, but I have watched some tournaments. It has been a loooog time since I've played. Before I sold the house and moved, there was a course near my house and I have never stepped foot onto it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Tried it once or twice before as a kid, had no clue what I was doing, but it was fun.

What does this have to do with pistols though?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Oh crud, thought I put this in the lounge. Sorry about that. Hopefully a moderator can move it.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really want to try it. Seems like a lot of fun and way cheaper than actual golf.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Tried it once or twice before as a kid, had no clue what I was doing, but it was fun.

It's like shooting skeet, only with pistols? Big Grin

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

It's like shooting skeet, only with pistols? Big Grin

Or maybe, should I carry my g19 or g43? Oh wait, that would be CCW forum.

Edited to say thanks for moving this to the correct sub-forum

posted Hide Post
I play as regularly as I can and have been doing it for almost 20 years now.

Best advice I can give you is to try it. It's low cost to start, and is good low impact exercise. Of course I usually have a few beers per round which negates any health benefits I'd get from it Big Grin Great sport to do with your son.

Any specific questions you have, let me know.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I played in college when there was a course close to campus out at Iroquois Park.

Sold my disks years ago.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun to play. Started when it was just the normal frisbee and progressed to specialized discs

Just like everything now you can "nerd" out as much as you want

I play with 2-3 discs depending on how many I want to carry that day. Often. Just 1 and enjoy the walk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to play quite a bit (3-4 times a week) when I was in college.

I still have all my discs but there isnt any courses where I live now. Back in Albuquerque there was 3 or 4 courses and one in the east mountains. at one point we even had a basket (or whatever you call it) in our back yard we'd use to practice.

There was (is?) a course out on the west side of Albuquerque that was all over grown with brush, if you went out there, you could usually find half a dozen discs by just looking around.

Its a fun game because you can be serious about it or just mess around and get some walking in and like you said, much cheaper than real golf.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Best advice I can give you is to try it. It's low cost to start, and is good low impact exercise. Of course I usually have a few beers per round which negates any health benefits I'd get from it Big Grin Great sport to do with your son.

Thanks, email sent.

Looking online last night, I didn't realize there are so many different makers and types of discs.

posted Hide Post
For more exercise, buy camo discs that cost a lot. I now lean towards medium priced discs in bright orange, but I suppose if my accuracy were to improve I'd spend less time in the rough searching for them.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
You should def get into this. Would be great for you and your son.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Thanks, email sent.

Looking online last night, I didn't realize there are so many different makers and types of discs.

See your email. I'll get back to you at some point today with some suggestions. I'm traveling though so might be delayed till later.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Never played, but see it all the parks. Never heard of it till we moved to NC in 2015. Kind of like never heard of duck pins till moved to Virginia from Chicago.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of courses within 3 miles of me I want to try but I have to wait for this year's Permethrin order to arrive first. Eek

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3446 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Hit me up I can get you started. I have a ton of discs.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It does look like fun, but I play ball golf as my main weekend activity.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
.....there be stoners here matey.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post