SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much do you pay for someone to change your oil?????
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you pay for someone to change your oil????? Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The OPs dealership price for an oil change seems low to me... I expect it is a bate technique to get you in and then find and talk you into doing more work... I'd think, depending on the location (urban or mostly rural), an oil change should be between 30 and 50 dollars.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It's about 30 bucks to have them change the oil, air up tires if needed, and vacuum my vehicle. I used to change it myself all the time until I realized that after buying the stuff myself and the time/hassle to do it, I was really only paying $5 for someone to do it for me - my time is worth more than that, the absolute longest I've ever had to wait is 15 minutes. No brainer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
1. Read the warranty and figure out what it actually covers. I've read a number of them that came with vehicles I was interested in purchasing and the list of things they covered was very specific. The failures that were covered were unlikely to happen.

2. Do shops use ASE certified mechanics to do oil changes or do they use the lowest guy on the totem pole?

3. $14.95 is most definitely to get you in the door. My local Ford dealer will rotate my tires for that. Last time they recommended new front brakes and an air filter. They were correct on both counts. The air filter wasn't bad according to the air flow indicator on the filter housing, but it is supposed to be replaced at 45,000 miles. At $45, I said no thank you. I had a new Motorcraft one at home; $17 from Amazon. Brakes were $300 and I did them for $120.

4. Oil and filter alone for my truck is $75 (13 quarts of Valvoline 5w-40 synthetic), so if I were to pay someone else to do it, I'd guess it would be north of $100.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I always changed my own oil and did all of my own repairs until 2014 when I bought my newest Toyota Tacoma. The dealership has free oil changes for life and I don't need any repairs so it doesn't get much better that that. Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I pay myself a couple of beers for a job well done. Big Grin

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I've paid for one oil change in 47 years of driving, and I'm not sure they even did it. My wife's new 2001 Honda Accord had an oil leak, and during warranty repairs, I requested an oil change since it was due and 5W20 was hard to find. They put dye in the oil to find the leak and the oil was a funny color when they were done.

I got 3 free oil changes as a result of checking a box that said the financial guy was rude when I declined buying extended warranty when I bought my Silverado. I took it in since I wasn't familiar yet with how to verify axle fluids and transfer case. They didn't even check them. They touched one bolt, the engine drain plug and didn't tighten it. Luckily I caught it when I looked to see if they checked all fluids.

I can change the oil much faster at home than the trip to and wait at the change shop. I really like knowing it is done right and what oil is installed. I also like complete freedom in determining what oil and filter I use, and I use good stuff.

The 2001 Accord is now my son's and he loves that car and the adventures had with it. It has 310K miles on it now and has likely had around 75 oil changes.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
One place, and one place only, is authorized to touch my vehicles. My personal friend and mechanic works for Christian Brothers Automotive, so he really looks out for me if someone else's hands other than his aren't physically on the car.

For an oil/filter change with their gratis "32 point check", they charge $40.60. They use 5w30 synthetic blend in all vehicles...not sure what brand.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Ford did mine for free while the vehicle was still in warranty. I let them still do it as I bought an extended warranty from them.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
About $35, depending on where I take it.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
I was handed a sheet with the original owner's information on it. They didn't give a shit that they had exposed all of his personal info to me, and just hand wrote down my information. I walked out with the original owner's information on the receipt.

In this state the dealership is required to give any potential buyer the previous known owners info.
Kind of pisses me off. I traded in an Audi years ago and out of the blue some guy called me on my cellphone asking all these questions about the car.
Asked the fella how he got my number and he told me that dealers are required to give folks the info of the previous owner. I looked it up and sure enough that is the case.
Some dealers put a state issued sticker on the windshield of vehicles for sale denoting this.

You think I gave this dealer my cell phone number now that I know this??? Nope, nope, and nope again. Should have done a google voice number to dump when all is said and done.
I should’ve written that better. It contained none of my info on it.

The service tech scanned my VIN when I showed up and it wasn’t linked to the update I made to the dealer database, appointment database, or the Nissan database. He called me the wrong name the entire time but it was close to Todd so I thought it was Hispanic accent. It didn’t dawn on me until I received the receipt with previous owner’s info on it and none of my info on it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ridgeway:
$300 & $200 respectively for my cars.

I've seen as high as $400.

Ok l ask.... WTF are you driving? Porsche?

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
~$35ish, with tax.

I almost always used the Honda Dealership on my Honda. The oil change intervals were typically tied to other recommended maintenance.

I'll have to see if my new Subaru is the same way, and see what the Subaru dealership charges for an oil change.

I used to change my own oil on some of my previous cars. But nowadays it's not worth the hassle just to save ~$10.

I still do a few of the easier maintenance items myself. For example, I replace my own engine/cabin air filters, which takes 2 minutes, and saves quite a bit over having the dealership do it. I also do my own power steering fluid (partial) changes, using the "turkey baster" method. Plus all the really basic stuff like windshield wipers, wiper fluid, and light bulbs.

(Yes, I know people who take their cars to the dealership to have new wiper blades put on... My mother in law, for example.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
With my extended family we have more vehicles than you can shake a stick at.
Several years ago when I built my shop building I put a lift in and have been doing almost all the minor maintenance on all the vehicles since.
It's nice to be able to get a good look at the underside of a vehicle and make sure everything is as it should be.
We also installed a small fridge for after the work is done!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not so much the cost, but the knowledge that everything is done as it should be. You can only be 100% sure everything is done right and inspected right if you do it yourself. Not something I am willing to delegate to someone else.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
About 30 dollars give or take five is the average around here. I'm at the mercy of wherever I take it as I no longer get employee discounts since I retired and got out of car dealerships the middle of last year.

I have been going to a local Jeep dealership and will probably continue. So far they have not buried me under "sales events", phone mining, etc. A little snafu last week, I showed up for my appointment for an air bag module recall and they did not have the part. Happens, had it happen to me when I was in the business too.

Nicest part, the last two oil changes I had neither time was I pressured for "wallet flushes", you know,the "You need this battery service, if not you will probably have your brakes fail and you will hit a bus full of nuns taking homeless kittens to a shelter. How will you live with that?" In fact, I complemented the writer on that fact. She knows I came from the dealership world, don't know if that has a bearing on it or not.

High profit margin for the dealership, spiffs for the service writer and the tech that do them. Know how that game works.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I buy the oil and filter, and the little shop I use charges me $10 to change the oil. You can't beat that with a stick. The time it would take me is well worth $10.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
While it's pretty cheap to have your oil changed, if you want to do it yourself it should not void your warranty:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcemen...ion-improvements-act

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/a...-routine-maintenance

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe123:
It's not so much the cost, but the knowledge that everything is done as it should be. You can only be 100% sure everything is done right and inspected right if you do it yourself. Not something I am willing to delegate to someone else.

This has been my motto after seeing so many bad outcomes with friends, a near miss with my own '87 Maxima back in the day, and the endless stories here.

I have one car I'm still having the dealer do just to build goodwill under any possible (expensive!) warranty claims, but will come back in house with that too once out of that coverage.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
While it's pretty cheap to have your oil changed, if you want to do it yourself it should not void your warranty:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcemen...ion-improvements-act

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/a...-routine-maintenance

That is for new car factory warranties.

My powertrain warranty is offered as a perk by the dealer on some used cars. So pretty sure they can require anything they want.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The works here is $40 when they send a card.
I usually do it myself.
I put Amsoil in my truck and 1 car as well as my motocycle.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post