SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much do you pay for someone to change your oil?????
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you pay for someone to change your oil????? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Come next month I will have owned vehicles for 20 years. Still own my 1st as a matter of fact.
I have never paid someone for an oil change, ever! Thinking about it, not including tire installations and alignments, I bet I can count on my fingers and toes the time I have paid someone to work on my vehicles.
With that said my new Expedition comes with a lifetime unlimited mileage powertrain warranty. The only caveat is the routine maintenance MUST be done by any ASE certified mechanic. While I am fully capable of doing pretty much any and all routine maintenance I am not ASE certified and I am guessing that would be a timely venture for me to obtain such status.

So today in the mail ironically I got a little flyer from the local Ford dealer advertising their Oil Change and Tire rotation for $14.95 up to 5 quarts of Ford Motorcraft Synthetic blend oil and Motorcraft filter.
The Expedition takes 6 quarts so I am guessing they will charge $7-$10 for that 6th quart of oil. Even so at $25 that is barely over what I would pay to do it myself and not get the tires rotated.
We put 11k on our vehicle last year and the Expedition calls for 5,000 mile oil changes so I will just stash that little advertisement in the glove box for 5 or 6 months as there is no expiration date or postage date.

So I am curious what do you all pay for your oil changes??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I do it myself. But when I was in an apartment and couldn’t I’d get a $20 coupon. Only caveat was i had to deal with the ridiculous estimate for crap I didn’t need. Oil change coupons are sales pitches to get you in the door.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. No help, but I just realized that I've never paid for an oil change.

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have started going to WalMart the last 2 years or so. Twenty bucks for my little beater Ranger with regular oil. Fifty bucks for synthetic oil in my Dodge Ram and the wife's Kia. I don't mind changing the oil but it was storing the oil before I got to a recycle place, usually the dump. The pan would get knocked over, even with a lid or the dog would find a way into it and cover herself with used oil. Twenty five bucks sound like a steal, I just wonder if they will pull the tricks that the fast oil change places do. You need a new drain bolt for your oil pan, yours is stripped, twenty five bucks. This additive will increase the life of your oil, twenty bucks but you still need to come back in 5000 miles.

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A dealer charged $25 for our 6 qt Rainier with the 10th or something like that free. I do our Subarus.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$300 & $200 respectively for my cars.

I've seen as high as $400.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The local Toyota dealer sends out service discount coupons...I just used the latest one to change the oil on my RAV for $31.99 plus tax...they used to be $26.99 when I first started paying for oil changes (after the 2 year free service ran out)...

It and my Tacoma are the first vehicles I have ever paid someone else to have the oil changed...same with tire rotations...

It's worth it to me to just let someone else crawl around and do it.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$50 for synthetic oil, tire rotation and wash. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
We have two clunkers.Wink Always do my own.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
“The works” runs about $50 here. 8qts oil, filter, tire rotation, 6725 point inspection and 20 minutes to read the paper and have a cup of mediocre coffee. Plus tax title and destination charges may apply.

About every other change I get a coupon or rebate taking it to about $40. All this and more from my factory trained Ford mechanic.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
The local Toyota dealer sends out service discount coupons...I just used the latest one to change the oil on my RAV for $31.99 plus tax...they used to be $26.99 when I first started paying for oil changes (after the 2 year free service ran out)...

It and my Tacoma are the first vehicles I have ever paid someone else to have the oil changed...same with tire rotations...

It's worth it to me to just let someone else crawl around and do it.

This is the same for me. I wait for coupons from Toyota, or else look up my dealer online. I used to do all the work on my vehicles, but my Corolla has a new-fangled oil filter that needs an SST or some ingenuity to disassemble and replace the filter inside, and it's hard to get under anyway. I'm 64 and getting lazy about such things. Also, the dealer will check to see if there are any recall items that need attention. I've had them do work more than once for those things, and it is free. The oil changes and filters usually run about $25-$30. I've gotten them for as little as $20. They use Castrol GTX regular oil.

Now my new-to-me '96 Tacoma 4x4 is another story; it replaces my beloved '85 4x4, and I will do all the work on it. It's a toy for me, and will be a labor of love.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can they actually force you to have service done at their shops to maintain a warranty? I thought that was just something they say, but couldn’t actually stick to.

I have done all my own oil changes for at least the last 15 years. I do full synthetic Mobile 1 that I get on sale at Costco. I also put a Mobile 1 oil filter. I have a K&N air filter that just gets cleaned every 50k Miles. Last I checked, what I pay is half what the dealer or Valvoline was charging. Plus with Costco I get an extra quart.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just wonder if they will pull the tricks that the fast oil change places do. You need a new drain bolt for your oil pan, yours is stripped, twenty five bucks. This additive will increase the life of your oil, twenty bucks but you still need to come back in 5000 miles.

I wonder this myself. I used to get my tires at one place and they would rotate and balance every 5k for free.
But every time they would have a laundry list of things that needed to be done.
I always just ignored them. When they told my my brakes were so worn that it was unsafe to drive away that day ended any business I did with them as I had just put all new brakes on all 4 corners the week prior.

My new tire shop rotates for free aswell and has never suggested I need anything done.
So they continue to get my tire and alignment business.

————————————————

Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
We used to always do it ourselves when it was more cost effective to do so.
For awhile we were paying $5 because a local place was letting a kids' hockey team do fundraisers by selling $25 cards that were worth five changes each. Even without any special deals it's around $25 each time.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
Can they actually force you to have service done at their shops to maintain a warranty? I thought that was just something they say, but couldn’t actually stick to.

I have done all my own oil changes for at least the last 15 years. I do full synthetic Mobile 1 that I get on sale at Costco. I also put a Mobile 1 oil filter. I have a K&N air filter that just gets cleaned every 50k Miles. Last I checked, what I pay is half what the dealer or Valvoline was charging. Plus with Costco I get an extra quart.

Being that it is not a factory warranty just something this Chevy dealer offers on all their new vehicle sales and select used vehicles including other makes in my case a Ford. I presume they can make any stipulation they want. I was expecting for them to tell me the service must be done by them. Which would have sucked as they are about 40 minutes from my house. But they just said any ASE certified mechanic.

————————————————

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If the Dealership is close to you, I would let them be the ones to change it. You would probably be right thinking that they will bang you for that 6th quart.

I do all our oil changes, but recently we leased a 2018 Acadia. I don't know how they get to that oil filter, but it took me close to 2 hours to get the old one off and thread the new one in a tight spot. I told my wife that whatever the dealer charges, it is worth it to me.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have access to my repair shop's facilities after hours, so I usually do my own, paying cost for the oil and filter, which is about $15. When I couldn't, or didn't feel like it, around $25. (My car takes 4.5 quarts of 5W20 and a cartridge filter that needs a special socket.)

I have actually used both places on occasion without incident.

quote:
Can they actually force you to have service done at their shops to maintain a warranty?
New car dealers? No. If they do tell you that, then they have to supply the oil and filters. This is covered by, IIRC, the Magnuson-Moss Act. You do, however, in case of a warranty claim, need to show that the services were performed on schedule.

Posts: 27936 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
$19.99 with coupon at Ford dealership. They send me a coupon every six months. One time it had expired and I didn't ask the cost in advance, $58 for a four cyc. Roll Eyes I said that was outrageous and they made it $34 instead.

For work vehicle I got to Valvoline instant place since I don't get paid for time to take my vehicle to get washed or serviced, I go to the fastest place I know. They are almost competent to change wipers, but they get the oil change because it's fast. I still use a coupon for it even though my company pays for it. Usually works out to about $40 after discount for 5.8 liter engine.

I changed my own oil for a long, long time. My newest car prior to my current one was a 1989. I always bought 80's cars and did all my own work. I decided I am done with that now, so the dealership gets my money, I get my time.

My car is five years old. I have opened the hood twice. Once just because I was curious what it looked like inside, the second time to replace a battery.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Roughly $36.00 for a lube and oil change, filter included.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Not sure what could be the downside of changing oil at the same dealer that offered the warranty other than driving there. Should be better than carrying 47 receipts in a box when your ride needs main bearings.

I have a $1200 truck. Before that I drove a $9800 Cadillac and a $503 Suburban. The Suburban was good for 12 years before the tranny went. The Caddy started having problems at ~261000 miles and the parts are impossible to find. The truck has done me well for 8 years now and gets about 21 MPG on the highway. Stuff breaks eventually, The warranty you are being offered is a huge plus.

The only time I went to a dealer was to replace the Takata airbags.

Congrats on your new ride.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post