SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do I have a right to be upset -any recourse? See 3rd page for best possible outcome.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I have a right to be upset -any recourse? See 3rd page for best possible outcome. Login/Join 
posted
I have been scheduled since October 16 to have shoulder surgery, and just got a call that it will have to be postponed. No reason, just Doctor is not doing surgery next Thursday. So I asked what my options are, and if he was adding another date before the end of the year?

"No. We can reschedule you for early February"

What about a waiting list?

"Sure, we can put you on the waiting list for the 19th, but I have to let you know you will be #9 in line."

Damn, I am so pissed, I told the scheduler to put me on the wait list, but not schedule me. Meanwhile they waiting until the last frigging moment, I have no hope of seeing another doctor and getting surgery in.

Should I just change doctors now, or should I see if I get lucky and have all six people scheduled ahead of me cancel, and three people cancel on the waitlist to get in on the 19th?

And before you ask, I get busy with work, and have meetings and conferences scheduled in February and March. I generally have two quite times of the year - Thanksgiving through New Years, and mid-July through late August.

*Edit - A little pissing and moaning directly to the doctor may have worked - see 3rd page for update*

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 280nosler,

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No reason, just Doctor is not doing surgery next Thursday...

He's needed on the "Greens"?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Food for thought. Do you want your surgeon to be rushed while doing your surgery or relaxed.

I mean I’d be pissed too but maybe it’s for the best.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
I have been scheduled since October 16 to have shoulder surgery, and just got a call that it will have to be postponed. No reason, just Doctor is not doing surgery next Thursday. So I asked what my options are, and if he was adding another date before the end of the year?

"No. We can reschedule you for early February"

What about a waiting list?

"Sure, we can put you on the waiting list for the 19th, but I have to let you know you will be #9 in line."

Damn, I am so pissed, I told the scheduler to put me on the wait list, but not schedule me. Meanwhile they waiting until the last frigging moment, I have no hope of seeing another doctor and getting surgery in.

Should I just change doctors now, or should I see if I get lucky and have all six people scheduled ahead of me cancel, and three people cancel on the waitlist to get in on the 19th?
It will most likely take you longer to have that surgery.

And before you ask, I get busy with work, and have meetings and conferences scheduled in February and March. I generally have two quite times of the year - Thanksgiving through New Years, and mid-July through late August.
Unfortunately, you are not the only one with hectic work schedule. You'll have to decide, what is more important. The surgery? or work?

Sorry you're going through this, but waiting it out is probably the better option, instead of going with a new doc..

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Wow, sorry to hear that. I doubt you will get any sooner with a new doctor especially this time of year as there is always a year end rush to get medical stuff done to take advantage by those that have met their deductible or out of pocket maximum. Does your doctor have a history of doing this or is it unusual? If he has a history of doing such frequently then it may be time to look at some other doctor. If not then it is probably best to wait it out.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
that would piss me off if I'd made my deductible for the year and now in Feb have to pay the full deductible again. In some cases that could be as much as $10,000 to someone.

I'd call them and ask them what it takes to transfer files to a new surgeon, because if I have to wait until after the first of the year and pay my full deductible again why do I need them.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doctors are human just like you and me, and they have stuff come up that they can’t foresee, yes I would be ticked off to but given the time of the year I doubt that you can get scheduled with another doctor on such short notice. Good luck

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
What. is he the only doctor that can perform. this surgery?
Find another Doctor.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
that would piss me off if I'd made my deductible for the year and now in Feb have to pay the full deductible again. In some cases that could be as much as $10,000 to someone.

I'd call them and ask them what it takes to transfer files to a new surgeon, because if I have to wait until after the first of the year and pay my full deductible again why do I need them.

Yup, it will hit me for another $5,000 after I have completed my requirements for the year. That is why I scheduled surgery when I did.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Sorry you're going through this, but waiting it out is probably the better option, instead of going with a new doc..

12131 gives good medical advice.
I just had a colonoscopy. You'd think something that easy would be easy to schedule.... but it took me 2 years. I'm partially to blame for giving up on it... but endless phone ques and the runaround from the scheduler. I feel your pain. Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Food for thought. Do you want your surgeon to be rushed while doing your surgery or relaxed.

I mean I’d be pissed too but maybe it’s for the best.

Keep in mind, he cancelled 9 other surgical appointments today over a 2 day period - I'm not the only one. Going into the next year, I do not have the money saved to come out of pocket for another $7,000 (I pay the first $5,000, then my 80/20 leaves me on the hook for an additional $2,000 before I have fulfilled my part.)

The other issue is that they will not do surgery more than 6 months removed from the MRI. My last MRI was done on August 2nd, so I will likely need another MRI. This whole thing is a clusterfuck.

posted Hide Post
Understandable to be upset. I'd call back once you've settled down. Explain your situation and ask for some assistance in getting in prior to the end of the year for your work and deductible related issues.

Very frustrating but things do happen and it could be a valid reason for the cancellation.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:...12131 gives good medical advice. ...

He should be a doctor!

I hope you get a slot, and not have to put this off, Mr. C.
(I would be upset as well.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
What. is he the only doctor that can perform. this surgery?
Find another Doctor.

Reality there is just about zero chance of finding one with three weeks left in the year plus two holidays.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I was scheduled for shoulder surgery and the morning of the procedure, as I was getting ready to leave the house, the hospital called to say the anesthesiologist just notified that she would not agree to participate because the waiver from my cardiologist (I had afib at the time) had not been received.

Long story short I decided just to skip it. That was about 6 years ago and now I consider the screw up to actually be a good thing. My injury was complete separation of my rotator cuff from the tendon from a severe fall on an icy driveway. My surgeon warned that if I didn't have the surgery my muscle would atrophy to the point where reattaching it would be impossible.

Apparently other muscles have filled in the void. My range of motion is about 90%, little or no pain, and the rigorous regimen of rehab avoided.

Obviously no two injuries are alike and in some cases surgery is absolutely required.

Best of luck whatever the timing.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would call the office and explain the insurance issues and your concerns.

I don't think you will find another doctor to do it before the end of the year. At least not a doctor you want doing it.

Up to you whether you change doctors. I would make that decision based on how good your doctor is and what other good doctors you have in your area. I've seen orthopedic docs before. I haven't needed surgery yet but I always look into the ratings of the doc. What they specialize in. Are they using the latest and best techniques and how feel about them after seeing them?

Good luck.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
I was scheduled for shoulder surgery and the morning of the procedure, as I was getting ready to leave the house, the hospital called to say the anesthesiologist just notified that she would not agree to participate because the waiver from my cardiologist (I had afib at the time) had not been received.

Long story short I decided just to skip it. That was about 6 years ago and now I consider the screw up to actually be a good thing. My injury was complete separation of my rotator cuff from the tendon from a severe fall on an icy driveway. My surgeon warned that if I didn't have the surgery my muscle would atrophy to the point where reattaching it would be impossible.

Apparently other muscles have filled in the void. My range of motion is about 90%, little or no pain, and the rigorous regimen of rehab avoided.

Obviously no two injuries are alike and in some cases surgery is absolutely required.

Best of luck whatever the timing.

My condition is a bone on bone (AC joint), and a collapsed bursa. They need to shave down about half an inch of my clavicle, and remove the the damaged bursa.

posted Hide Post
Utilize the time to strengthen the other muscles around the shoulder - and your other arm. It will make rehab more tolerable and expedient.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'd be outraged. In part because they cancelled, but in larger part because they do not seem apologetic or willing to accommodate.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Oddball thought here, but I wonder if the insurance companies pay any incentives to DRs to NOT work in Dec....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post