SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why is this racist: “You may be picking cotton, but we’re picking you to go to prom with us.”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is this racist: “You may be picking cotton, but we’re picking you to go to prom with us.” Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Both of my parents picked cotton. No idea why it would be considered racist, embarrassing or demeaning in any way. It's honest, hard work. I read the article and can't figure out what would upset anyone.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Wait a cotton picking minute, are they out of their cotton picking minds???

And definitely..

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UgJi8dIJVY

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. It just baffles me.

Turns out the girls are being harassed.

I wish someone had called out the guy that posted this in the first place for his male privilege sexist shaming of women he doesn't even know.

The world is a crazy place today.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
It's might in part be a slavery joke, but that doesn't mean it's racist. Clearly the girls are friends, and the black chick was fine with the joke. Had it been three black girls in the photo, nobody would have cared, but since two if them are white they must be racist.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Because there is a reward for outrage these days.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charley Pride 1974. These kids probably never heard of him. Born in Sledge, Ms. Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1BuWUYAGFE

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Can we find a new word? "Racism" has been worn through like a hole in a shoe. Its use as a dog whistle has deafened the dogs.

Can we find something truly offensive to get upset about?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
As a young child, my maternal Grandmother would get a whole nickel to spend on candy when they took the bale they picked on the homestead into town by wagon each year. The corn and potatoes were eaten - not sold.

I guess the color of the hard, penny candy would determine if she was a racist cotton picker? Or, am I missing the point here?

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post