SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why is this racist: “You may be picking cotton, but we’re picking you to go to prom with us.”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is this racist: “You may be picking cotton, but we’re picking you to go to prom with us.” Login/Join 
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted
I just don't get how this is racist. I mean I don't understand why someone thinks this is racist.

Both Blacks and Whites picked cotton. Is there some racial slur about picking cotton that I don't know about?

https://www.yahoo.com/style/he...-prom-175830866.html

From the article:

Promposal season is in full swing, and while we all love seeing the extravagant, dramatic, adorable ways kids are asking each other to prom these days, some proposals are simply in poor taste.

Today’s tasteless gesture comes courtesy of some students who allegedly attend Monarch High School in Coconut Creek, Fla., where a receptionist tells Yahoo Style that the principal is “aware of” the photo — made public through a tweet posted on Wednesday by Monarch High School alum Jon Aro, aka user @papichombo.

It shows an Instagram screenshot (from a now-defunct account) of three teenage girls, one black and two white, holding up a cardboard sign reading, “You may be picking cotton, but we’re picking you to go to prom with us.”

“It is two thousand and f***ing seventeen,” Aro wrote captioning the image. And while it is unknown when the photo was taken and who the sign is addressing, people had unsurprisingly strong reactions, with the post being retweeted more than 5,800 times and “liked” more than 8,000, and earning a huge collection of angered comments.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Manufactured outrage.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Because there is a whole (very large) group of people indoctrinated by Jesse Jackson and his type, then emboldened by the former asshat in the white house that look at everything they see as possibly racist. See my tag line.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Everything is an outrage today, everyday is a new one to go ape shit on. You could say good morning, and someone would find it offensive, and racist.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
You could say good morning, and someone would find it offensive, and racist.

That's vampirephobic.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the more people I meet the better I like my dog

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
most likely a ploy for social media attention by the girls....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You gotta jump down, turn around, pick a bale of cotton.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The whole "promposal" stupidity needs to stop

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Didn't you get the memo? Everything is racist today, and I do mean everything. Personally, I think Lenin's "useful idiots" quote best describes all these nitwits.

As an aside to this story, we had a bunch of college age kids over at the house recently and one of the black kids asked me what breed my hound was (he'd never seen anything that looked like him before). Without any hesitation, I told him Louie was a Treeing Walker 'Coonhound'. The look on his face was classic. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
In the world of "social justice" (as per my recent annual college faculty indoctrination), all whites are racist, some white women, but all white men. Anyone who is not a white male is a victim of micro-aggression, ie some form of discrimination, even if invisible and unintended.

Also, all claims by "victims" of such prejudice are deemed to be valid, do not need to be proven.

But I have an appointment, must go, before I get even more annoyed.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because it mentions something that might be construed as work?

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Personally, I think Lenin's "useful idiots" quote best describes all these nitwits.

He was half right. They're not very useful.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
So the thinking now is that only blacks picked cotton? Ridiculous!! From the time I was nine years old I both picked cotton and chopped cotton. For a full days work I earned a bologna sandwich and a cold Dr Pepper for lunch. That's just the way it was. When there was work to be done everyone in the family did their part. In the part of Arkansas my family is from you didn't have to be black to be a cotton farmer or a share cropper. Now I'm 62 years old and I can tell you without doubt that the lessons I learned for performing unpaid labor in the cotton fields at 9 years old have served me better than many get from a collage education and if you want to point that out to anyone I certainly won't call you racist.

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
WTF? Not a damn thing wrong with this. And most of the people who are bitching about this are probably black.Roll Eyes

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of racist jokes about picking cotton. Too proud to take Tylenol because of the cotton, etc.

This was not something racist, the girl works on her grandmas GD cotton farm.

quote:
According to the Local 10 News report, the girls on the left and right in the photo were directing their promposal to the middle girl, who is the heir to her grandmother’s Alabama cotton farm, is homeschooled, and was not originally planning to attend the prom.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
WTF? Not a damn thing wrong with this. And most of the people who are bitching about this are probably black.Roll Eyes

I'd bet it's more middle aged white woman and lesbians than black folks...

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I have an appointment, must go,

...even more privilege there Scout"Master"????

....sorry, just trying to snap out of 5 minutes from hearing some interview about the subject....

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

quote:
According to the Local 10 News report, the girls on the left and right in the photo were directing their promposal to the middle girl, who is the heir to her grandmother’s Alabama cotton farm, is homeschooled, and was not originally planning to attend the prom.

People don't want context and facts that diminish the potency of their outrage.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

quote:

People don't want context and facts that diminish the potency of their outrage.

But where is this outrage coming from?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post