SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ETERNAL LIFE Want to live FOREVER? You just have to make it to 2050
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ETERNAL LIFE Want to live FOREVER? You just have to make it to 2050 Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Damn, it looks like I'll just miss the cut. Oh well, so much for immortality. I can't speak to the pure efficacy of this, but there are some intriguing possibilities. Stem cell technology seems to be having some remarkable results, to name one currently.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/...how-to-live-forever/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another 30+ years for me, I'm out. Even if I made it, who would want to live forever at 93?

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I would be 66. Hopefully, they can grow new organs by then.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No interest. Sooner I get to the Bridge, the better.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Somebody just watched “Altered Carbon” now they are a futurologist.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He'll by then I will be 114!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Only if I can have my 28 yr old body back, the wisdom and perspectives I have now and the money I'd be sure to gain over a three hundred year trial and error effort. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29681 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I suspect that'd play hell with annuities, to say nothing of retirement planning. And Social Security getting put on a solid financial foundation? - fuggedaboudit. Wink

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about my picnic device? Will it still work?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16063 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

Haven't seen Altered Carbon yet, but this theme is already been explored on screen in Bicentennial Man and Surrogates, and those are just off the top of my head. The "Bioethics and Law" class I took in 2001 delved pretty heavily into this stuff and the professor was pretty adamant that even though cloning a humans was illegal basically everywhere in the world, that it was already quietly happening, and the first public integration of that would be using stem cells and DNA from the organ recipient to grow their own organ transplants. I'll need to look around a bit, but it seems to me that in recent years, that part of it has come to bear.

Posts: 17102 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind if there is some kind of antigravity supportive amenities.

Unsure how my sesquisentennial birthday celebration would proceed if I had to rely on dragging my own saggy parts out onto the tango floor.

Oh, wait....I'd only be 105!!! Things are looking up already!!!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Forever? Heck, no.

One of my best friends has said for quite some time she didn't want to go past 50... frankly, I'm beginning to understand why.

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
No interest. Sooner I get to the Bridge, the better.

This !

Exactly.

This.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Why can't I be included just because I was born before 1970? I'm only 49 and that means I've got 71 more years anyway.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
While I think technology can extend biological life, I think there's a limit. As cells divide and reproduce, errors are added, eventually the accumulated errors make the divide cells non-viable. Also IIRC, some cells don't divide and reproduce (neurons?) No matter what medical technology they throw at this problem, time will eventually take its toll.

I do think there is one way something like immortality could be achieved. At some point medical and computer technology will merge, and some organization will figure out how to download human consciousness into a computer, and the computer will allow the consciousness to continue processing.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Our DNA is programmed to age all of us. I sure hope I don’t live to see man’s attempts to ‘reprogram’ that.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
2050? I'd be 103. Pass Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

Well you know, just like somebody watched A Trip to the Moon and 67 years later it happened. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14033 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The world seems to accept Malthusian population theory at the same time it tries to make humankind immortal. Go figure. Roll Eyes Even a consciousness living in a virtual world has a resource footprint. Processing power and electricity aren't free and limitless.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I suspect that'd play hell with annuities, to say nothing of retirement planning. And Social Security getting put on a solid financial foundation? - fuggedaboudit. Wink

No problem. They'll just increase the full retirement age to 300. How would you like a 280 year career?

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post