SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm in Kentucky.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm in Kentucky. Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I saw a number of signs for distilleries as I drove from Louisville to Lexington tonight, so I might visit and tour a few distilleries during the day on Saturday when I make that return drive.

I saw 13 distilleries in 3 days when I went. Favorite was easily buffalo trace. It should be in Frankfort on the way from Lexington to KY. Not much to eat in Frankfort FYI. Around the lexington area is woodford reserve, wild turkey, and 4 roses. Skip town branch in Lexington.

Woodford - much like a winery, i skipped the tour
Wildturkey - much like beam volume distillery that looks like a industrial plant
4 roses - mostly a tasting place if they are not distilling, We did about 25 mins there did a tasting, bought a shit ton of bourbon and bounced.
Buffalo Trace - just feels like a distillery and the oldest still around, 100+ years old, brick buildings, great tour and gift shop.

The louisville distilleries are ok at best. I am also not a bulleit, evan williams fan but theyre modernized.

Of the 13 distilleries I liked Buffalo trace the best, followed by makers mark(thats about an hour 20 mins from Louisville and GPS rarely works.

Great place called Kreso's in Bardstown with about 130 bourbons, the food is Serbian, which I like but may not be for everyone.

You've got mail.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the area but if you can find some place that has it, try some Kentucky burgoo. Very tasty!

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should have mentioned - with Keeneland going on, you probably won't be able to get into what is considered an upscale restaurant here this weekend. They're usually booked up with reservations.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Should have mentioned - with Keeneland going on, you probably won't be able to get into what is considered an upscale restaurant here this weekend. They're usually booked up with reservations.

Also Rolex 3 Day Event going on at the Horse Park (25K-35K people)...It's going to be crowded for sure.

We are going to be up there for the weekend for Rolex, actually leaving in about an hour.

I second the Buffalo Trace distillery tour, it was a good one!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replies!

Just wrapped up my work day. Gonna take a breather, grab a cup of coffee then head back out to dinner!

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it turned out.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Well, I had a fantastic time in Kentucky. The beautiful weather followed me around.

I had dinner my first night in Louisville in a basement in Germantown. Tiny hole in the wall called Hammerheads that is actually in the basement of a house in a residential neighborhood. Smoked lamb chops and truffle fries.

The next day after work I ended up in downtown Lexington for dinner. Malone's was high up on the list, but it wanted to check out the nightlife downtown. I had dinner at a gastropub called The Village Idiot. Pulled Pork Mac n Cheese.

Went bar hopping and after a number of bars ended up at the Irish pub where I met a bunch of kitchen/service staff coming off of their shifts from other restaurants late into the night.

The next morning I visited Woodford Reserve and the Buffalo Trace distilleries. I took tours at both. The Woodford Reserve distillery was beautiful, and the back road I took there put me through a gazillion acres of Diamond horse farms which were perfectly manicured and beautiful. The Buffalo Trace Distillery was more interesting and very informative (my tour guide is on the tasting panel that selects which barrels of Willeit becomes Papy), but Woodford was just picturesque....

Ended up on Bardstown for dinner and drinks. I had dinner at The Fat Lamb, and of course, ordered the Lamb Chop (my fiance doesn't like lamb, so I don't usually get to order the lamb when I'm with her), and then down the street a ways to the Holy Grale for beer. Holy Grale is a beer bar that has a huge selection of craft beers from all over the world, and is inside of a converted church. Very cool. Bar hopped a bit, saw lots of way-too-drunk college people, and ended up at the local spot for late-night drunk food, The Back Door.

All in all, a good time.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
The woodford drive is by far the best! Pardon my shitty road picture. Glad you had a nice time!