SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm in Kentucky.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm in Kentucky. Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
I'm in Lexington and Louisville on bidness. Need a good place to hang out in Lexington on a Friday night and places to eat in Louisville on a Saturday.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
What do you like?
My email is in my profile as well.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What sort of atmosphere are you looking for?? Lexington has a bit of everything.
Wish I wasn't working Friday or we'd link up.

My favorite place to eat in Louisville is Game

http://wildgameburgers.com

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about Lexington nor your food preferences but if you just want a slow-paced place to hang out and watch the river go by, you might want to consider Mike Linnig's in Louisville. They've been serving up great fish, shrimp, frog legs, and rolled oysters for probably 75 years or better. Sadly, Falls City beer has gone toes up so that's off the menu but the food is still great. Ten years ago I would also have recommended Mazzoni's but after a 100+ year run, they've also gone under.

Have a good trip.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Malones

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Malones isn't what it once was.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"There's a war going on. How is it you got to Kentucky?"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Check out the Bardstown Road area. All kinds of stuff. I like a pizza place called Za's.

http://www.zaspizza.com/

Excellent Cuban at Havana Rumba:

http://havanarumbaonline.com/w...for=text&user=HAVRUM

The ropa vieja and vaca frita were awesome.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I'm in Lexington and Louisville on bidness. Need a good place to hang out in Lexington on a Friday night and places to eat in Louisville on a Saturday.

"Proof on Main" in Louisville. Cotton candy comes with the check. Nice place to eat. Bourbon selection is solid too.

Lexington i didnt stay at very long. Got nothin.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
where are you staying in Louisville?

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
"There's a war going on. How is it you got to Kentucky?"

I see what you did there, Major Heyward!

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
I don't know much about Lexington nor your food preferences but if you just want a slow-paced place to hang out and watch the river go by, you might want to consider Mike Linnig's in Louisville. They've been serving up great fish, shrimp, frog legs, and rolled oysters for probably 75 years or better. Sadly, Falls City beer has gone toes up so that's off the menu but the food is still great. Ten years ago I would also have recommended Mazzoni's but after a 100+ year run, they've also gone under.

Have a good trip.

Mike Linning's is a great place, it is on the Southwest side of town. Depending on the location of your accommodations, Captain's Quarters on the Northeast corner of town may be a better option to eat a seafood dinner, enjoy a few adult beverages, and watch the river traffic. Captain's Quarters even has yacht parking and dockside waiters/waitresses to take orders and deliver dinners without getting off the boat (I'm not presuming you piloted your boat to Louisville!).
My brother and I enjoyed a nice dinner there one evening last summer and then sat outside enjoying the sights with a few cold beers. We both watched with amazement as a guy piloting a fairly large cabin cruiser came in WAY TOO HOT at nearly perpendicular to the concrete docking area. He hit hard enough that the noise made everyone that was outside turn and look. He put a fairly large dent in his bow! He backed out and headed up Harrod's Creek to the yacht club to lick his wounds and I hope sober up since he obviously had to be drinking too much that day! Captain's Quarters is a bit more upscale than Mike Linning's with prices to match, so be prepared for either.

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'd like to soak in some regional cuisine. I guess that means BBQ, fried things, and bourbon.

I'm staying near the airport for simplicity sake, but I'm not afraid of using Uber to get into town.

I saw a number of signs for distilleries as I drove from Louisville to Lexington tonight, so I might visit and tour a few distilleries during the day on Saturday when I make that return drive.

As far a bars go, I like crowded ones with good people watching, crafted mix drinks, or a good collection of bourbon.

I had coffee at Sunergos Coffee in Beechwood and dinner at Hammerheads in Germantown, and I can recommend both.

My Yelp-fu says Holy Grale on Bardstown might be interesting.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

"Proof on Main" in Louisville. Cotton candy comes with the check. Nice place to eat. Bourbon selection is solid too.

Noted.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
For a bit of traditional Lexington try the original Columia Steak House, downtown location, get the Columbia special, steak fries and a Diego salad, it's been in business since 1948

http://www.columbiassteakhouse.com

Another landmark is Merrick inn, traditional and the owners were family friends when we lived there excellent service, great wine selection and upscale southern fare, the pecan crusted pork tenderloin is great

http://www.themerrickinn.com

And try the fried banana peppers mmmmmm

Keeneland is running so get out there for horse racing like it was meant to be, get some KY Burgoo, bet on some races, check out the paddock for riders up, and the gals dress up its true no other place is like keeneland and you will kick yourself if you miss it. Www.keeneland.com

The track is across from bluegrass field, the restaurant will fill up quickly after the day's racing with those patrons that won, the losers all go to Tolly Ho after drinking too much for a late night snack

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Traditional recommendation of Merrick is very good, though can be pretty salty in particular dishes if that's a concern.

If you were driving then Holly Hill Inn is very good, but that may be a bit far to Uber.

Columbias is pretty heavy on the grease sometimes.

Bourbon n' Toulouse is very popular.

I have a family event tonight or I'd take you to the most traditional place in town, so let me know in advance next time.

Dudleys, Joe Bolognas are also good options.

posted Hide Post
If you like bourbon, Lexington had OBC. Good food too. I do find it ironic a Kansan criticizes Lexington for having nothing. I been to Kansas.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If you could go west a couple hours, Owensboro is the BBQ Capitol of Kentucky.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
What sort of atmosphere are you looking for?? Lexington has a bit of everything.
Wish I wasn't working Friday or we'd link up.

My favorite place to eat in Louisville is Game

http://wildgameburgers.com

I will second that! Some outstanding meals there

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony's in Lexington for a good meal (will need a reservation). Frankfort has Buffalo Trace for a bourbon tour (free) and there's Woodford Reserve in Versailles ($20ish). Both are good tours and worth the time with some samples afterwards.

For bars in Lexington there's bunch downtown within walking distance of each other. I haven't been in that scene too much lately. But there's Henry Clay's, Harry's, McCarthy's, Molly Brook's and probably more that haven opened up that I'm not aware of.

BBQ there's Red State, Blue Door and Joella's along with some other hole in the walls.

If you can, make it out to Keeneland today or tomorrow for some horse racing. It's an older/traditional track that you feel as if you've stepped back in time when you get in. Expect a large crowd once you're in.

I'd offer to show you around, but I'm in the process of packing my life up to move out of state next weekend.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post