SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Grado headphones
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Grado headphones Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I’m looking at possibly replacing my Sennheiser HD1 earphones and have been reading about Grado. Probably the Sr325e would be the price range. There isn’t anyplace local to hear them and I know there are some followers here. I listen to everything from Norah Jones to the Foo Fighters and Black Label Society if it helps. They will be used with a high res Fiio X7 digital audio player. Any pertinent info is appreciated..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Grado cans are highly rated. I have a very old pair of their SR60s and they are great for under $100.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the endorsement! Do you remember where you bought them? I’m certain I’d be happy with them, but am wondering if I should look at someplace like Crutchfield where they could be exchanged if need be..?

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I got them at a local stereo store that is long gone. I think Grado sells direct. You won't have a problem. If you don't like the sound, they are easily sell-able But you'll like them. Grado is a small, family owned shop. Their stuff is essentially hand made. They will take care of you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very good, thank you.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You may need to consider a head phone amp with that player. It may not drive the cans enough. Most agree the SR60 and the SR80 won't need an amp, but the 325s might. They might not, but I dont know much about your player. Call Grado, they'll help you.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ll chat with them tomorrow.. thanks for the tip

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just as with speakers, most brands have a "house" sound. FWIW Grado is known for it's treble emphasis.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dry fly- my son has a set of sr325e that he never used. Email me if interested.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Wow... will do. I’ll email in just a bit!

quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you buy new, leave them playing at moderate volume for 2 days. They need it.

I like the 225 best in the lower series. The 325 can be hit or miss. Some like it, others do not.

Note the standard pads take some getting used to. New firmness and tension plus the way they sint on the ears gets annoying the first few hours, but eventually become less of an issue.

They are not light, the cable is heavy and the build quality seems cheap when you first hold them, less so for the 325. The inside parts are top notch though.

Amped they really shine.

They are open cans, so expect others to hear what you are listening to, and expect to hear things around you.

I'd like some RS2s but cannot justify the prince as I have shifted to mostly buds with the exception of some Bose bluetooth.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
I'm not an audiophile but these are the best headphones I've used. I had a pair of SR80. The only downside is that they were uncomfortable after awhile and they leak sound because they are open back which may bother you or those around you. Also grado will repair your broken headphones for a fee if you send them to them.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys!

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I've got an RA1 Amplifier and RS1, and also an SR80, which is nice because it terminates with a 1/8" stereo mini plug and works great with my ipod (1/4" adapter included).

A useful link to experiment with pads.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I just called Grado to inquire about using them with my Fiio X7 II, he said they’d work great, no need for an amp (which I have, but don’t really want all the connections.).

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cool to know that the 325s don't need an amp with a portable player. Of course, it would be fun to compare them with and without an amp, and see what the differences are.

I use my SR60s with my portable player (aka my cell phone, although I do use lossless files) and they don't need an amp, but when I use a little portable amp, it does open them up a little. My amp is a FiiO amp/DAC, although I can't recall the model.

What is funny, is my Grados are so old that CDs were new when I got them; I mean so new that they were a real curiosity. And the idea of a portable digital player was inconceivable. But the Grados sounded good with vinyl and tape, and still do.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Haven't heard that name in a while. A friend up here in NH's father was the owner of the company until his death some years back. Traveled into NY daily to oversee the product.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
A big thank you to member nshumway for setting me up!

quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:

Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
My favorite brand of headphone.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I love my Grado SR80 headphones. Nice sound but a little uncomfortable after an hour or so on my ears.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post