SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a Mechanic in DFW that is reasonable
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Mechanic in DFW that is reasonable Login/Join 
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Expensive rotors are 75$ shop cost, pads are 45-50$, yes some are higher but that is really the highest you will see on average, so 200$ for parts max, labor is generally 99$. 500$ markup is crazy, but thats how Christian brothers does things.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Every place I've called has been over $750 for four rotors and four sets of pads.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
What year make and model?

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Empirestate, if brakes are all you want done shoot me an email. I used to do side stuff but got away from it due to time but that's an easy job. The only issue is my schedule is weird, and I'm about 45 minutes from you.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
What year make and model?

2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport 4wd 4cyl

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:
Empirestate, if brakes are all you want done shoot me an email. I used to do side stuff but got away from it due to time but that's an easy job. The only issue is my schedule is weird, and I'm about 45 minutes from you.

Thanks. Will do.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The Toyota dealerships service departments around here are about $210-$240 per axle. Screw that $800 mess!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
I'll call them. Don't think that includes rotors. Mine were already resurfaced once so not sure.

posted Hide Post
If Mckinney is not to far, these are my guys that handle all issues that need a mechanic. They are not the cheapest, but they will not gouge you either. They will let you know if it is urgent or can wait also. Jimmy is the service writer and he can give you a quote.

Burdick Auto Solutions
10 EAST ERWIN AVE.,
MCKINNEY TX 75069
972-548-8708
http://burdickautosolutions.com/contact.html

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Definitely includes resurfacing rotors and new pads. Go to Grapevine Toyota's website under service specials. Sometimes there is a coupon to boot.

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I meant that my rotors were already resurfaced once and not sure if they can be again or need new rotors all together. I just looked it up, thats a decent deal for sure.

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Very easy job. Rockauto gives you a good idea of what shops pay for parts. Maybe find a place that will let you bring your own parts. Or join some local sales gtoups on the book of faces. I bet you can find someone that will come to you or lives in your neighborhood for 100$ or less. I charge 50$ an axle to do brakes in my driveway. 100 if i have to drive to the person. There's also nextdoor.com its a good way to meet your neighbors.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/ca...+brake+pad+kit,13824

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Nickles Auto Works in Desoto was started/owned by a family friend. He's since retired but Bobby the new manager is great to work with and they'll treat you right. If you call tell them you were referred by Patricia and Steve.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Maybe try Auto Improvements in Grapevine. They've got excellent Yelp reviews for what that's worth.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Rotors are usually good for at least two "turnings" unless they're really warped, etc.

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Not anymore they arent, even the factory stuff is made in china junk. The steel isnt as hard as it used to be and it gets eaten up by the pads pretty easy. It usually takes multiple cuts to get a good even surface and by then you are past the minimum specs.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Not anymore they arent, even the factory stuff is made in china junk. The steel isnt as hard as it used to be and it gets eaten up by the pads pretty easy. It usually takes multiple cuts to get a good even surface and by then you are past the minimum specs.

This the truth. I basically have to get new rotors each time I get new pads. It is ridiculous to have to do this. Driving in stop and go from downtown DFW to the the burbs is hard on the brakes. But you should at least be able to get more wear out of your rotors.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Interesting, that hasn't been the case on my 4Runner or our LS400. Rotors have been turned 2-3 times on each vehicle before new ones were needed.

posted Hide Post
I dont know about DFW area, but in San Antonio, I use the little Mexican tire repair shops. They usually charge about $50 per axle and have you in & out in about an hour. (plus, you bring in your own parts for them to install)

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post