SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Six Gallon Outboard Gas Tanks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Six Gallon Outboard Gas Tanks Login/Join 
More persistent
than capable
posted
I need to replace the gas tank on my generator and do not want to pay for an OEM unit. Can an outboard portable tank be used with the standard boat coupling to the tank and still flow if the coupling on the outlet side is removed?
I appreciate the input from the braintrust.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
More info is needed. I see some people using external fuel tanks for small Honda generators so I think so.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Your generator is probably gravity fed from the tank being on top, no?

Most outboard have a diaphragm type fuel pump and draw fuel from through the top of the tank.

So unless you put the tank much higher to get a gravity siphon action going, or stand there working the priming bulb, I don't think it will work.

But what do I know. Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Your generator is probably gravity fed from the tank being on top, no?

Most outboard have a diaphragm type fuel pump and draw fuel from through the top of the tank.

So unless you put the tank much higher to get a gravity siphon action going, or stand there working the priming bulb, I don't think it will work.

But what do I know. Big Grin

The tank does indeed mount above the engine and the v-twin Honda has a diaphragm pump.
If I knew anything this thread would not existSmile

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run two Honda 2000s paralleled or single off of a 7 gallon boat tank that sits lower than the gensets. It or they run perfectly but require an airtight seal between the generator cap and the boat tank pick up. The tank is vented. The generator caps I bought are machined aluminum.
Also, the generator tanks need to be full when you crank them to run off of the external tank.
Billy

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
P11
The boat tank you use is an auxiliary to the existing genset tank?

posted Hide Post
Yes auxiliary but it will run to empty then run off of the onboard tanks until they are empty.
I have it set up to run one or both of the gensets at a time.
Total is 9+ gallons between all of the tanks. The setup cost me > $100 but was worth it.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW, YOUTUBE and Amazon will show you a lot.