SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major right-wing donor Bob Mercer is stepping down as co-CEO of his hedge fund and selling his stake in Breitbart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major right-wing donor Bob Mercer is stepping down as co-CEO of his hedge fund and selling his stake in Breitbart Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Hedge-fund billionaire and major conservative donor Robert Mercer is stepping down from his position as co-CEO of Renaissance Technologies, he said Thursday.

In a letter to employees obtained by Business Insider, Mercer said he had become an object of press scrutiny in the past year, referencing his activity as a major conservative donor. The hedge-fund founder had previously stayed mum about his political beliefs.

"During the past year, I have been the object of a great deal of scrutiny from the press," he wrote. "I have declined to comment on what has been written about me, imagining that with time the attention would dissipate. Because that has yet to happen, I have decided to correct some of the misinformation that has been published about me. It is not my intention to impose the views I describe below on anyone else."

In addition to leaving his position at Rentech, Mercer announced in the letter that he will also sell his stake in the far-right news website Breitbart News to his daughters — including Rebekah Mercer, a major Republican donor who served on the executive committee of US President Donald Trump's transition team.

Mercer did not give a reason for his departure, but in the letter he sought to distance himself from some polarizing figures with whom he has become associated, including former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, who now again heads Breitbart, and the right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulous.

"The press has also intimated that my politics marches in lockstep with Steve Bannon's. I have great respect for Mr. Bannon, and from time to time I do discuss politics with him. However, I make my own decisions with respect to whom I support politically. Those decisions do not always align with Mr. Bannon's," he said.

Of Yiannopoulos, he said: "I supported Milo Yiannopoulos in the hope and expectation that his expression of views contrary to the social mainstream and his spotlighting of the hypocrisy of those who would close down free speech in the name of political correctness would promote the type of open debate and freedom of thought that is being throttled on many American college campuses today. But in my opinion, actions of and statements by Mr. Yiannopoulos have caused pain and divisiveness undermining the open and productive discourse that I had hoped to facilitate. I was mistaken to have supported him, and for several weeks have been in the process of severing all ties with him."

Mercer said he would step down as co-CEO and from the hedge fund's board. He said he would continue to contribute to the research side of the firm. Mercer has also been a significant financial backer of Cambridge Analytica, the data-analytics firm that worked with the Trump campaign and has come under scrutiny in investigations into Russian election meddling.

Read the full letter:
"During the past year, I have been the object of a great deal of scrutiny from the press. I have declined to comment on what has been written about me, imagining that with time the attention would dissipate. Because that has yet to happen, I have decided to correct some of the misinformation that has been published about me. It is not my intention to impose the views I describe below on anyone else.

"My goal is simply to explain my thinking, the very essence of which is that all of us should think for ourselves.

"I believe that individuals are happiest and most fulfilled when they form their own opinions, assume responsibility for their own actions, and spend the fruits of their own labor as they see fit. I believe that a collection of individuals making their own decisions within the confines of a clear and concise set of laws that they have determined for themselves will advance society much more effectively than will a collection of experts who are confident in their knowledge of what is best for everyone else. This is why I support conservatives, who favor a smaller, less powerful government.

"A society founded on the basis of the individual freedom that flourishes under a limited federal government has no place for discrimination. Of the many mischaracterizations made of me by the press, the most repugnant to me have been the intimations that I am a white supremacist or a member of some other noxious group.

"Discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, creed, or anything of that sort is abhorrent to me. But more than that, it is ignorant.

"The press has also intimated that my politics marches in lockstep with Steve Bannon's. I have great respect for Mr. Bannon, and from time to time I do discuss politics with him. However, I make my own decisions with respect to whom I support politically. Those decisions do not always align with Mr. Bannon's.

"Without individuals thinking for themselves, society as a whole will struggle to distinguish the signal of truth from the correlated noise of conformity. I supported Milo Yiannopoulos in the hope and expectation that his expression of views contrary to the social mainstream and his spotlighting of the hypocrisy of those who would close down free speech in the name of political correctness would promote the type of open debate and freedom of thought that is being throttled on many American college campuses today. But in my opinion, actions of and statements by Mr. Yiannopoulos have caused pain and divisiveness undermining the open and productive discourse that I had hoped to facilitate. I was mistaken to have supported him, and for several weeks have been in the process of severing all ties with him.

"For personal reasons, I have also decided to sell my stake in Breitbart News to my daughters.

"I would also like to inform you of a decision I have reached with respect to my role at Renaissance, an organization I adore with colleagues whom I deeply respect and admire. I am 71 years old, the same age that Jim Simons was when he retired. I do not plan to retire, but I do plan to relinquish my management responsibilities.

"Peter Brown and I have been Co-CEOs for the past eight years. On January 1, 2018, I will step down from my position as Co-CEO and resign from the board of directors. I will continue with the firm as a member of its technical staff, focusing on the research work that I find most fulfilling. Peter will continue on as CEO, and I will provide him with my counsel whenever he feels that I can be helpful to him and to the company where I have spent so many wonderful years."

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So what are we supposed to take away from all of this? Confused

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
He said not one word about President Trump, for or against. Nor did he decry divisiveness within the GOP.
I totally understand his turning away from Milo, and his reasons for not being personally associated with Breitbart (which has changed a great deal from the vision of its creator Andrew).
He does not say he will not be supporting conservative causes; nor does he say he won’t support the President.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
smschulz, what I got from it was that when the going got tough he decided to turn tail and run. It is what republicans do best when faced with adversity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
sjtill, what about the sound bite where Andrew Breitbart says his goal in life is the destruction of the New York Times and outlets like it? Is breitbart really turning away from Andrew's vision?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
smschulz, what I got from it was that when the going got tough he decided to turn tail and run.
It is what republicans do best when faced with adversity.

I think it is a little unfair to generalize, don't you?

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Not really. When you have to face a media that is over 90% in bed with liberals you are going to face an onslaught if you don't fall in line. Fighting the media's monopoly on pushing liberal ideas needs every ally it can get. Of course people on the same side will disagree on strategy but overall I see it as a cowardly move.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Or maybe it's just business. He sees Breitbart expanding and doing well currently and decided to cash out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Not really. When you have to face a media that is over 90% in bed with liberals you are going to face an onslaught if you don't fall in line. Fighting the media's monopoly on pushing liberal ideas needs every ally it can get. Of course people on the same side will disagree on strategy but overall I see it as a cowardly move.

I agree with you, but your original statements implies that ALL republicans turn tail and run. I'd say, RINOs and their country club and establishment elite pals.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course people on the same side will disagree on strategy but overall I see it as a cowardly move.

Well, glad you got it down pat.
Me > I'm a little s-l-o-w ..... I don't know what this is really all about.
So making a big deal about it, concluding all this shit has me wondering if this is a big deal or much to do about nothing. Confused

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don't have it down pat. Your guess is as good as mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am a bit annoyed with his comment on Milo. It's not like Milo all of a sudden changed his behavior. He was always incendiary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~