SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Do you remember the first time that you shot a. 44 Magnum?"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Do you remember the first time that you shot a. 44 Magnum?" Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
When the first Dirty Harry movie came out, all of us young coppers wanted one. That lasted for me right up until I tried to qualify with it on the 60 round PPC course. It was nearly impossible to make the times with that thing with full house loads due to recoil recovery time. I owned several over the years, my favorite that I kept is a 629 Classic with 5" barrel.

I never new the 29 came in a 5 inch barrel. Sounds really sweet.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
1972 just after Dirty Harry was on the screen a buddy of mine bought a S&W Mod 29 8 3/8". We took out the railroad tracks (a local shooting place) and let her rip. I fell in love. Since that time I have owned and shot a few 29's from 8 3/8" to 2 1/2" guns, currently have a 6"er. As I got older I started to run 44Spec, less recoil. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, about 10 years ago when my dad bought his cousins Model 29. We shot the hell out of it. It is the 8 3/8 barrel with the vented rib, etc, Nice and heavy and really not that bad.

I recently picked up a Desert Eagle in 50AE and it is about the same with the 1450 fps hollow points. I can shoot the DE one-handed without a problem. Big rings of fire - fun stuff!!

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Yup....M29 Mountain gun....fun fun not unpleasant, I had carried 44spcl and 357mag snubs for years now I carry it ...occasionally ( word to rGrizzle for a great IWB holster) it's been ported and has a great action from Alex Hamilton.

normally EDC round is 300gr Hornadys

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Back in the old days I wanted to move to Alaska.
My first purchases were a pair of good boots and a 44 magnum.
My choice was a 8" heavy shroud, Stainless Dan Wesson revolver. I never made it to Alaska but did use the \gun for IHMSA long range shooting.
GREAT GUN! Its weight really tamed the recoil, no problem shooting 40 or more rounds in a match.
Its on my bucket list to replace someday. I hung on to the Jackass shoulder holster I have for it.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Yep, I bought my first centerfire handgun in 1977, a Ruger Super Blackhawk. After just shooting 22lr it was quite an experience. I learned to reload, got some decent grips on it and got to love the cartridge. I have only own two now, a 1984 Ruger Redhawk 7.5" and a 1974 S&W 29 with a 6.5" barrel. Still one of my favorite cartridges.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Yup....M29 Mountain gun....

I've got one of them. And a 6" 29 (the first one I ever fired), as well as a 44 lever gun. Love them all.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
It's really a versatile round - easy to load, great range of power from low ball .44 Spec to nuclear weapon, lots of bullet types available and feels like a popgun in my Marlin lever. It's the sidearm you want in Kodiak. Thank you Elmer.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Honestly, with a good grip and normal loads, they really aren't bad. In fact, for just fun shooting, it's my favorite caliber. That's not to say that stupid loads don't exist. They do, and they hurt. But if you stick to normal factory stuff, or normal handloads, then .44 mag is a lot of fun.

I've got to agree with Artie.

My daughter shooting a 44 mag at age 22. She's 5' 2" tall and weighs about 120 lbs.
She didn't say anything; just emptied the revolver and handed it back.
No one told her that there was anything special or different about the round.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was the late 90, I shot a buddy's father's Colt Anaconda. I remember it trying to stand up in my hands if that makes sense.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I have never shot one. Would like to, though.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
When the first Dirty Harry movie came out, all of us young coppers wanted one. That lasted for me right up until I tried to qualify with it on the 60 round PPC course. It was nearly impossible to make the times with that thing with full house loads due to recoil recovery time. I owned several over the years, my favorite that I kept is a 629 Classic with 5" barrel.

I never new the 29 came in a 5 inch barrel. Sounds really sweet.

Here's my 5" M29 Classic. I love this gun because the barrel length is perfect and the trigger is as good as they get.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was first legally allowed to buy a handgun, the 8 3/8" 629 was my first gun. I had to sell it in order to buy furniture for my first apartment.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I was at the range yesterday, one of the students brought a S&W 44mag in a VERY light weight frame with what I would guess a 4" barrel. I was amazed at how light it was.
He asked if I wanted to try it, I said sure but was cautious because of the guns light weight. He then told me he had 300 gr. rounds to fire. I told him NO THANKS, peer pressure changed my mind, I fired 6 rounds.
It was not horrible to shoot but I have to classify it as not enjoyable. maybe a good hunting back up gun but not a range toy.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Never. I stopped at 41 Magnum. Got both a S&W 57 and 58

I have fired a 378 Weatherby. Does that count?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
Yep, about 10 years ago when my dad bought his cousins Model 29. We shot the hell out of it. It is the 8 3/8 barrel with the vented rib, etc, Nice and heavy and really not that bad.

I recently picked up a Desert Eagle in 50AE and it is about the same with the 1450 fps hollow points. I can shoot the DE one-handed without a problem. Big rings of fire - fun stuff!!
I have both the Desert Eagle and LAR Grizzly pistols in .50AE--really love the Griz'!

grizzly50
by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first time with 44 Mag was out of a Thompson Contender with the 14" barrel. I think it was called a Super Contender. The loads were some full throttle Norma stuff don't remember the bullet weight but that sucker would hurt you after about 5 rounds.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
S&W 500 Magnum 4” was more memorable the the 29 4” for me...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep about 1984. I carried a Smith and Wesson 29 for a personal protection firearm. After 2 months and 2 boxes of Remington .44 magnum rounds I traded for a Smith and Wesson 66 .357. I felt safer that the front sight would not smack me in the forehead under recoil with the .357 like the 29 almost did. VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
don't and have not ever owned one, but have shot a 29, Colt Anaconda, and a very nice Dan Wesson 6" revolver,

like the Smith and loved the Dan Wesson, (should have bought that one, )

the Colt sucked,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post