SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Do you remember the first time that you shot a. 44 Magnum?"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Do you remember the first time that you shot a. 44 Magnum?" Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My first was a Super Blackhawk. I agree that the grip design makes the recoil seem worse that it would be otherwise. Also it tended to pinch my trigger finger between the trigger and the guard. I eventually traded it for a model 29, traded it, etc. I wound up with a 4" light-barreled "Mountain Gun" that was a whole different beast than the 6" 29. It was nasty. I finally sold it, now I'm jonesing for another 6" 29. My dad has a 7 1/2" Redhawk that does a good job of taming the recoil, but it's too muzzle heavy for my taste (actually too heavy period).

Depending on the guns, I usually prefer to shoot "standard" .44 Magnums over "standard" .357 Magnums. The .357 is a lot snappier unless it's a model 27 or something.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Writer by profession,
smartass by the
grace of God.

posted Hide Post
I agree with the above.

My favorite .44 load involves a cast semi-wadcutter loaded to about 1000-1100.

Good, reliable penetration, and you won't knock molars loose.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posts: 617 | Location: Beaverton, OR | Registered: April 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
4" Ruger Redhawk. The recoil was fine, but it felt like I was smacking an aluminum bat on a metal fence. I shot 30 rounds and my palm was slighty black and blue the next day.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
She related to flashguy?
No, but I do admire her flash.

I don't really remember my first time to fire a .44 Magnum, but it was probably in 1972 at a sand pit near Shaw AFB, SC. I do admire the huge muzzle flashes and probably was not too concerned about firing it. (Had worked up to it by firing hot-loaded .45 Colt in Ruger SAs.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first time firing a .44 magnum was not really a big deal, because I had previously fired a 454 Casull. Now that was a big deal!

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Shot both 44 Mag and 454 Casull. 44 mag is no problem. 454 Casull, well only three or four per day will do me.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Ruger Super Blackhawk. The grip shape allows it to twist upwards in your hand. This does not reduce the recoil, it accentuates it. The square back trigger guard also barks your support hand knuckle. I had a Smith & Wesson 6 1/2" 29-2 and found it more pleasant to shoot.

Same gun for me and I recall it had a huge upward roll to it despite being very heavy. I think that turned me away from wanting a revolver.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I bought a brand new S&W 629 Classic in 1992, that was the first time firing a .44 Mag for me. I carried it deer hunting for a number of years.

I no longer hunt, so I sold it along with my hunting rifles. I bought a new S&W 329PD to carry while hunting, I still have that. I've tried selling it a couple of times, no takers, so I occasionally put a box of reloads through it, it's still fun.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 17. Ruger SBH. 7.5 inch. I used it to shoot a Rooster. Between the bullet impact and muzzle flash, he was both plucked and cooked!
Ah, youth!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
How about one of those Smith K frames in Scandium and titanium? The 329PD? Those always scared me a little. I have never fired one.

How did yours compare to the 629, Warhorse?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Back I the early 1970s I used to work at Moran Custom Guns. I fired thousands and thousands of 44 mag and 44 Auto Mag cartridges. I still shoot the big bores when I get the chance.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
How about one of those Smith K frames in Scandium and titanium? The 329PD? Those always scared me a little. I have never fired one.

How did yours compare to the 629, Warhorse?

It kicks way more with full power loads. I installed Pachmayr Decelerator grips on it, they really help to tame the felt recoil down.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Warhorse:
Check your private e-mail. I will be dropping you a line.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While the .44 is quite capable, I was disappointed the first time I fired it. I expected more.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, first and only time. I was at the range, and the guy next to me asked me if I'd like to try his .44 (I think it was a Model 29). I wasn't too intimidated, since I had taught myself to shoot .357 from a 2" snubnose (which turned out to be much worse).

The target was only 7 yards. My first shot was an inch above the bullseye, but windage-centered. Now knowing how the gun was sighted, I proceeded to put the remaining 5 rds right through the bull. I actually didn't think it was too bad at all.

I think he said something like not bad for your first time.;

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
When the first Dirty Harry movie came out, all of us young coppers wanted one. That lasted for me right up until I tried to qualify with it on the 60 round PPC course. It was nearly impossible to make the times with that thing with full house loads due to recoil recovery time. I owned several over the years, my favorite that I kept is a 629 Classic with 5" barrel.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I rented a S&W 629 Classic in late summer, forget the year. First few shots were 9s at maybe 20 yards. Told myself I got to get one of these! Standard 240 grain loads. A month or two later, I got a cash award at work. Spent it on a 629 Classic of my own.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
A model 29 8” was the first pistol I bought for myself. Like many, wish I still had it. Today I’ve got a 629 8”. I’ve got a 16 year old grandson that just giggles all over himself every time I let him shoot it. I’ve never shot one of the less than 4” models of either. Not real sure I’d like regular doses of that much flash.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was about eight when I shot a .44mag. We were visiting my uncle David in Indiana. Prior to that trip I had only shot BB guns and a sears & roebuck single shot 22(I still have it).

The entire experience cemented my enjoyment of shooting. I had a lot of firsts that day..a 10/22, a ppk, black powder, a 410, a mini canon, and probably a few others I’ve forgotten. When my uncle brought out the .44, I remember it being so cool. He placed one round in the cylinder, got behind me and braced me, but let me hold the gun on my own. I don’t recall the recoil being bad, but i vividly remember how heavy it was. We did the same with a 357 and it was so much lighter, the gun slipped out of my grip and spun on my trigger finger.

I’ve actually got pictures of it all somewhere

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Yes I do.

https://youtu.be/97234xjK7dA

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post