SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Do you remember the first time that you shot a. 44 Magnum?"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Do you remember the first time that you shot a. 44 Magnum?" Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk...rce=ig_web_copy_link

@jjreevesii takes some interesting pics. See the second pic for her reaction.

Edit: The swipe arrow on the 1st picture is obscured by the humongous flash. The purpose of this thread was the amusing 2nd picture of the woman's reaction. Corrected the title to exactly reflect jj's Instagram post. I guess I am obtuse; the thread title is a rhetorical question and not really a trip down memory lane. But thanks anyway for responding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I remember- blued 8” model 29 classic. Full under lug, all day comfortable shooter. Never should have traded that one away.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15569 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
She related to flashguy?

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Ruger Super Blackhawk loaded with really hot hand loads.

Save for the concussion, I was underwhelmed.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From that story. Who gives a 7 year old a .44 magnum to shoot having never shot a gun in their life.

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Ruger Super Blackhawk. The grip shape allows it to twist upwards in your hand. This does not reduce the recoil, it accentuates it. The square back trigger guard also barks your support hand knuckle. I had a Smith & Wesson 6 1/2" 29-2 and found it more pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I was in Alaska, and the .454 Casull I had ordered was caught up in Walmart's (you need to see the gun counter at Alaskan Walmarts for yourself as it's as good as any gun store with pistols from .22 to 500 mag and rifles from 17 HMR to .416 Rigby) never ending we'll have it in 2 or 3 weeks sham. I had a group of nine people coming to spend a week hiking, camping, and river fishing. I had already spent nearly $200 on the guide holster for it so I went and bought its twin in .44 mag. With bear loads, it wasn't any stouter than my buddy's .45 LC with bear loads (nearly identical bullet weights, velocities, and energy).

6.5 months later my .454 Casull came in and Walmart asked if I still wanted it so I said sure. Shooting identical guns (Ruger Redhawk Super Alaskan) side by side chambered in .44 mag and .454 Casull was an eye opener.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever fired one. I think 10mm is the largest handgun I've fired.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've only ever fired .44 Magnum in a rifle. I have several buddies who hunt deer and hogs with .44 lever guns.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
1981 Model 29 my hand still stings. Big Grin

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
Smith & Wesson 629, King Salmon, Alaska, 1991. I bought it from someone leaving their tour, just as I was starting mine. When I left, I sold it to a new arrival. Not sure who the original owner was or how many owners the gun eventually had, as it had been passed down like that years before me, and probably the couple years after me. The base closed around 1993 or so.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My first was a friend's Blackhawk. I like the way it rolls in the hand, so it wasn't too bad. Eventually I bought both a Redhawk and a 629. I find the Redhawk more comfortable to shoot.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
No, but I do remember when my dad taught me how to shoot a shotgun and slipped a couple 00 Buck shots in with the bird shot. Hell of a surprise.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
7 1/2" Super Blackhawk was my first .44 mag. I didn't have any issues with control or recoil and I'm not a big guy. I got into Silhouette shooting and loaded and shot thousands of full power rounds in competition with my 10" SBH. I currently own a S&W 5" M29 and a Winchester 94 Trapper Lever gun. I love the caliber.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I was a teenager the first time I shot a .44 magnum in the 1960s. It was my brother-in-law's 10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk. It became my first owned handgun. I currently own five .44 magnums.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I shot my uncle's 8" Model 29. It wasn't that bad. I always remember then giving it to my younger cousin to try. He was scared, wincing and grimacing before squeezing the trigger. After he squeezed the trigger, the look on his face instantly turned to extreme disappointment and calmness. He thought he was going to be thrown backwards onto the ground or something.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Yep. 1987 Shelbyville, Tennessee. You never forget your first time with a hand cannon. Since then I've fired 454 casull, 450 mag express, 50ae, 45 win mag, 41 mag. All were impressive and exhilarating, but my first 44 mag shot from an 8" Model 29 will always be my fondest. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was about five minutes before I bought my first box of .44 special.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I think BigBore has a picture of him blasting one for his icon.

I was considering getting one just for the bang effect. I had a couple of times when some guys next to me were satisfied/smug after their first shots and seeing people wince/flinch. I wanted to be able to reciprocate. I still might get one.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was considering getting one just for the bang effect. I had a couple of times when some guys next to me were satisfied/smug after their first shots and seeing people wince/flinch. I wanted to be able to reciprocate. I still might get one.

Honestly, with a good grip and normal loads, they really aren't bad. In fact, for just fun shooting, it's my favorite caliber. That's not to say that stupid loads don't exist. They do, and they hurt. But if you stick to normal factory stuff, or normal handloads, then .44 mag is a lot of fun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post