SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does chopping onions make you cry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does chopping onions make you cry? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Some folks say that chopping onions makes them cry, but I don’t suffer that effect. Don’t know why – my tear production seem normal (I don’t have dry-eye syndrome). What’s your experience?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If it is a strong onion, I tear up. Otherwise, not bothered at all

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I usually buy sweet onions, so no. But sometimes, maybe depending on the season, not so sweet onions end up in the sweet bin at the store and those make me blink a bit.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stick my onions in frig before chopping

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
More so now than in the past. Sometimes it’s bad enough I need to stop and wash my face & rinse my eyes for relief.
To be fair, it’s the only crying my dead soul allows.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you wear contacts?

When I'm wearing contacts they have no effect on me.

If I'm not wearing contacts I can definitely tell that it's irritating me, but only sometimes does it get to the point of making me tear up.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Sometimes. Depends on what type of onion it is.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
yes and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try breathing in through your mouth, and breathing out through your nose.
Then the effect is minimal at best.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Only eating them. I hate onions. They smell like B.O. I don’t mind if they are cooked into food I just hate them raw.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I use goggles when I chop. otherwise I'm a mess.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Got one of these at Amazon. No more tears!
Amazon Onion Chopper Pro

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Its been a while since i chopped an onion. But yes?

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Yes tears of joy because they will be in my stomach soon. I love onions.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Depends on the onion.

But shallots? Always.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vidalia or Walla-Walla type no, some others yes, especially if they are old.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
It depends on the type of onion. I seem to be most bothered by red onions.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
At home not so much.

When I was in food service slicing a 50# bag for onion soup, that's a different story.

PSA. Onion fact: The thin membrane between the onion layers has coagulant properties. If you apply it over a minor laceration it will stop the bleeding.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only when watching the end of Red Dawn.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Like a little bitch.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post