SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could magnesium pills be the secret to staying strong in later life?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could magnesium pills be the secret to staying strong in later life? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I take a 250mg magnesium tablet every evening to supplement dietary sources. For me, it stopped middle of the night cramps in my feet and legs.

“… A recently published study from the University of East Anglia, involving 441 people, found a direct link between physical strength in older people and the amount of magnesium present in their muscle tissue.

The mineral, known to regulate muscle function, is found in beans, nuts, seeds, leafy green vegetables, fish, meat and dairy. One sign of a deficiency is frequent cramps.

Yet, as with many other nutrients, our magnesium intake has declined due to our increasing reliance on processed foods, as well as falling levels of nutrients in soil.

Around 16 per cent of over-65s are getting less than the recommended minimum daily intake of 270mg for women and 300mg for men, according to an analysis of data from Public Health England’s ongoing National Diet and Nutrition Survey…”

https://mol.im/a/8706769

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had some issues with A-Fib, which is to use an engine analogy my “engine” (heart) not firing all cylinders in the correct sequence.

Eating/drinking high potassium foods such as bananas and V8 juice along with 2 magnesium gummies per day have virtually eliminated that for me.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I take it to mitigate migraines! It really works for me, I have had fewer and those I did get were over within a few hours. (I can’t take migraine meds due to prior strokes)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take 400mg Magnesium Oxide daily to regulate my bowels. For me it works.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I take magnesium every night. Helps me fall asleep and sleep better. Also helps with regularity.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I take a lot of it, I cannot stay out of the bathroom.
I was taking a high potency vitamin and it was rich with magnesium. I was supposed to take 3 a day. I was able to take 2 on some days, but others I loosened up too much.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My doc suggested it to help with my fibromyalgia issues, especially disturbed nights.
Is it working? Honestly don't know.

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)

Posts: 98 | Location: Malta | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnesium oxide pills didn't help me, but a version of 'hydration water' worked well. In two cups of water one adds 1/8 tsp Epsom salt (magnesium), 1/8 cream of tarter (potassium), and 1/8 tsp salt.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I had some issues with A-Fib, which is to use an engine analogy my “engine” (heart) not firing all cylinders in the correct sequence.

Eating/drinking high potassium foods such as bananas and V8 juice along with 2 magnesium gummies per day have virtually eliminated that for me.

Where did you find the magnesium gummies? I have fuckin had it with my bodies intermittent charlie horses!

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I take the brand Doctor's Choice as a daily supplement, based on my own and not due to any underlying medical condition. I started off taking it to help with muscle recovery when I was doing 3-5 days a week of bootcamp training.

It cut the recovery by about 1/3 and even though I stopped bootcamp, I continue to take the supplement.

I used to have nighttime cramps and a couple of other things and they are thing of the past.

Love the brand and love the results.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I take a teaspoon of this a day and have noticed the benefits.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've been taking this for years and years

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Where did you find the magnesium gummies? I have fuckin had it with my bodies intermittent charlie horses!

Amazon or Walmart, shipped right to my door:

https://www.gummyvites.com/en/...vitafusion-magnesium

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Thanks. As long as my general practitioner doesn’t have a problem with me taking them, I am giving them a try.

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take what is called Slo-Mag. Slow release. Eliminates any "digestive issues" you might get from too much magnesium

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I take magnesium, zinc and vitamin D supplements.

One of those supplements per day, not all in one day.

18 years of the Seattle skies, drastically lowered VitD levels. The past 18 months in Australia, coming back up again, and the VitD supplement boosts.

Magnesium - 200mg
VitD - 1000mg
Zinc - 25mg

And VitC 1000mg is twice a week, combined with echinacea, more for the current winter conditions in Aus.

I too, have figured out that process foods have led to an imbalance.

And as a result, diet has changed, more veggies, fruit and nuts. Almonds are a source of magnesium.

If you need further inspiration, look to the often long lived occupants of the island of Okinawa, and their diet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cjevans,

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I take a teaspoon of this a day and have noticed the benefits.
That's what I take almost daily to keep regular.

Natrual Calm

If you're at the library, check out The Magnesium Miracle. Very informative.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I discopvered long ago that magnesium warded off leg cramps. Now my various doctors want me to take it for heart issues. I take a tablet every night before bed.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the “Natural Calm” if you take too much, your natural Bowel movement will NOT be calm......... Eek

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
My thought about most of these types of products:

If we just eat less crap and more healthy food, everything generally improves with your health. It was noted that Mg is present in many natural food items. Why not just eat more of them?

I would also think regular physical activity would also help your body to maintain strength over time.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post