SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sanctuary Sheriff Lupe Valdez Announces Run for Texas Governor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sanctuary Sheriff Lupe Valdez Announces Run for Texas Governor Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
In the final days leading up to the filing deadline, Texas Democrats now have a relatively high-profile candidate to lead their ticket for next year’s elections. After several prominent politicians declined the task of running against Governor Greg Abbott (R), the party will feature a candidate backing “sanctuary” policies: Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez.

Sheriff Lopez threw her hat in the ring Monday morning in what will likely be a lightly contested Democratic Party primary for the governor’s slot on the November ballot. Lopez drew national attention in October 2015 when she announced she would honor immigration detainers on a case-by-case basis, Breitbart Texas reported. Her statement drew harsh criticism from Governor Abbott who said, “sanctuary city policies like those promoted by your recent decision to implement your own case-by-case immigrant detention plan will no longer be tolerated in Texas.”

The governor quickly announced plans to cut state law enforcement grants to sanctuary jurisdictions that chose not to comply with federal immigration law. He also called for the Texas Legislature to take action against such behavior.

Valdez’s actions and those of fellow sanctuary sheriff, Travis County Sheriff Sally Hernandez, led to the creation and passage of Texas’ SB4 Sanctuary City Law.

In announcing her decision to run for governor, Valdez avoided immigration. There appear to have been no public reports of the sheriff actually declining an immigration detainer from ICE.

The Texas Tribune reported on her announcement by calling her a “serious candidate.” With five days left before the filing deadline, Valdez joins six “little known Democrats” in running for the top spot on the ticket, the Tribune wrote. One of those is the son of the late Texas Governor Mark White. Andrew White is scheduled to announce his campaign on Thursday.

“Like so many hardworking Texans, I know it’s tough deciding between buying food, finding a decent place to live, and setting aside money for college tuition,” Valdez said in a written statement published by the Texas Tribune. “Opportunity in Texas ought to be as big as this great state, but it is out of reach for far too many, that’s why I’m running for Texas Governor. I’m a proud Texas Democrat. I believe good government can make people’s lives better, and I intend to do just that.”

The Texas Constitution requires Valdez to immediately step down as the Dallas County Sheriff when she formally makes her announcement. Her campaign said they will inform the Dallas County Commissioners Court of her decisions later on Wednesday.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas...-run-texas-governor/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
¿Que?

Posts: 107265 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Huh?

"Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez.

Sheriff Lopez threw her hat in the ring..." I guess all of those Mexican names sound the same Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
She has a better chance of putting her elbow in her ear...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Trust me, we can’t stand her either.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
She has no shot even with a bunch of illegal alien voters.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
She has to dgo something or Gov. Abbott is going to burn her on her sanctuary city policy.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I vote for burning

where can I send some gas?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
She has to resign and then I think she will lose the election.

Best of both worlds for Texans.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
It must be that she has people around her who sing her praises and she's duped into believing there are enough people in the great state of Texas that also see things the way her minions do. I guess she's going to learn a thing or two about REAL Texans if she actually goes through with running. Nevertheless, the DNC will do everything in their power to help her. You know, like paying women to make false claims about the incumbent, etc.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
In this case the individual in the wheelchair is not the handicapped candidate. I give ole Lupe a 1 in 25 shot at pulling 15% of Texas voters.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
At least this season will be entertaining. She has to be the worst candidate they have run in as long as I can remember.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Dallas County has changed for the worst politically, as was evidenced by the fact that Hillary Clinton won there in the 2016 presidential election. Lupe Valdez probably figures she can appeal to voters there as well as in Harris, Bexar, and Travis Counties, because Clinton won them too. Urban voters in Texas are increasingly voting for the Democratic Party. I agree that she is a poor candidate, but she might appeal to enough loopy Texas voters to make a show of it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Trust me, we can’t stand her either.
She is a Hispanic Lesbian Female Democrat--need I say more? And, most unfortunately, MY sheriff.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She checks all the right boxes. Sounds like a dream candidate for Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
She can always go back to acting in B programmers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...pitfire_(film_series)

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023