SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So what do you do with your 1/4" impact driver?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what do you do with your 1/4" impact driver? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I am looking at impact wrenches though for lug nuts and such. Probably go with Milwaukee 1/2".

18V by chance?

Not too sure to be honest. I know nothing about them so I'm just starting to educate myself. The Dewalt 20 has some pretty good reviews.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not too sure to be honest. I know nothing about them so I'm just starting to educate myself. The Dewalt 20 has some pretty good reviews.

Ok, I thought you might already have a Mil 18V tool and would only need the 'tool' (no batteries).

If you're buying a complete kit, stick with the 20V DeWalt and you'll be happy.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DexterII:
impact drivers are not impact wrenches.

I have to ask: how are they different?

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
They are selling the DeWalt 20v Drill/Driver brushless for $99.00 plus two batteries. Good deal, since the batteries are usually $80.00 dollars apiece themselves. I upgraded to 20V system a couple years-ago, and never looked back.

Well time to buy a back up just for the batteries. That is insane, are they the 2, 3, or 4 mAh batteries? It it's the mAh ones that's like getting paid to buy the tool.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
They are selling the DeWalt 20v Drill/Driver brushless for $99.00 plus two batteries. Good deal, since the batteries are usually $80.00 dollars apiece themselves. I upgraded to 20V system a couple years-ago, and never looked back.

Well time to buy a back up just for the batteries. That is insane, are they the 2, 3, or 4 mAh batteries? It it's the mAh ones that's like getting paid to buy the tool.

I think it is brushed and 1.3 ah batteries.

The impact version is only one battery and I'm not sure of the capacity.

The Milwaukee is brushless and 2.0 ah. I'd like to find some good deals on more batteries and tools.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
impact drivers are not impact wrenches.

I have to ask: how are they different?

Not going to be more specific than this because there are a lot of both on the market so hard to quantify, but, on average, I would say that an impact wrench has around 5-6 times the torque of an impact driver. Sort of like framing a house with a trim hammer, in my opinion; yeah, you can pound spikes with a smaller hammer, but it's going to take a lot longer and be a lot harder on the tool and your body. Think about it; not uncommon to see someone holding an impact wrench with both hands, whereas an impact driver is so light and manageable that it's easy to hold two pieces of wood together with one hand while running the driver with the other. Impact wrenches typically have 1/2" and up drive, while impact drivers have a 1/4". I have adapters for my impact drivers to run 3/8" sockets, but for anything larger I pull out an impact wrench. Both are great tools, but I would not say that either would do the job of both.

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

FYI - I got this one, going from Yellow to Red. I could not pass up the price. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...7?keyword=1002634101

I have that one too and a bunch of other Milwaukee coordinated tools.

I have that one too. I use it for pretty much everything.

I am looking at impact wrenches though for lug nuts and such. Probably go with Milwaukee 1/2".

I recently bought the Milwaukee 1/2" impact wrench and used it rotating the tires on the three vehicles in our house. I started with a full 9 amp hour battery, removed and installed tires on my Tundra, the wife's Rav and my son's Rav. I finished with 4 bars (full charge) on the battery and it never thought twice about taking the nuts off.

My Milwaukee impact driver is pretty much used for driving screws. It's better than a regular drill/driver when the screws get longer and especially lags.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I put off getting a 1/4" impact driver for a number of years.. but then did. They are good for driving something like tapcon screws in masonry... and I like that at least the ones I use are smaller than a regular cordless drill.. but I don't like to use one if I am doing a lot of screwing into something like wood... don't like the constant 'hammer' of the driver.... then I just use a regular cordless drill. I did buy a 1/2" driver with lugs last year for the next time I have to pull over and help someone change their flat tire.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

They who?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Ryobi One+ system for the past two years or so. Great tools and batteries. I have the 1/4" impact that I use for driving long wood screws or lag bolts. I will be picking up a couple more tools this week. A 1/2" impact, caulking gun, and "sawzall" are on my list, plus maybe another battery.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Great for popping off the side covers of motorcycles and get a clutch replaced in minutes or if you need to split the cases for transmission issues. zip zip zip

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
1/4 impact is one of those tools that once you use it, you wonder how you lived without one.

When I had my small engine shop, I used one constantly to take parts off small engines. Replace a carburetor with an 1/4 inch impact takes 3 minutes. Without, it takes 10 minutes.

They are not strong enough to take lug nuts off a car. If you break them lose first, THEN they are great to zip the lugs off.

I change the oil in my car. It has one of those protective covers on the bottom of the engine, screwed on with 10 screws. Its MUCH easier to zip the screws out in seconds than it is to manually do it with a socket and wrench.

Just installed a TV wall mount last week. Drives lag screws into studs like a boss.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:
I could swear I saw that model on a Home Depot Black Friday ad for $99. I have Makita for impact driver and drill but I have some other Milwaukee stuff....seems to be built like a tank.

If I could rationalize buying another, I would be all over that Milwaukee.

Was the $99 one a brushless model?

From what I've read the brushless models are more efficient with the battery usage.

Or maybe the $99 deal didn't come with a battery & charger? Milwaukee does sell a lot of their tools as tools only as they know once you get into their system, you will likely have multiple tools & chargers.

Oh, I don't recall if it was brushless, but I do believe it came as a full kit(charger and battery)

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
on average, I would say that an impact wrench has around 5-6 times the torque of an impact driver.

Got it. Thank you!

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post