SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So what do you do with your 1/4" impact driver?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what do you do with your 1/4" impact driver? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I've thought about getting one of those little 1/4" impact drivers for a few years now, but always talked myself out of them because I have cordless Dewalt drills and screwdrivers. I've never had the impact variety - the 1/4" one.

Besides regular screws, how useful are these? I don't expect to be doing lug nuts, but surely these have more uses than regular screws. Would 3/8" ratchet/socket assembly and disassembly work be within the limits?

FYI - I got this one, going from Yellow to Red. I could not pass up the price. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...7?keyword=1002634101

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have that. Bought it years ago when it was still $250. I got the hammer drill along with it with a charger and hard case for a little over $500.

Mine will break lugs loose on our cars. I've used it for everything: cars, assembling furniture, general home use, etc...

In fact, when I road trip, I bring it with me with the socket for the lugs.

It's an awesome tool. One of the best purchases I've ever made. IMO, once you see how many different tools they have for that battery system, you'll end up getting more tools. I have their brushless sawzall and 7.25 brushless circular saw.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The #1 use I have had for a 1/4" impact driver was transmission drain pans. Other then that I use another tool.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I have that. Bought it years ago when it was still $250. I got the hammer drill along with it with a charger and hard case for a little over $500.

Mine will break lugs loose on our cars. I've used it for everything: cars, assembling furniture, general home use, etc...

In fact, when I road trip, I bring it with me with the socket for the lugs.

It's an awesome tool. One of the best purchases I've ever made. IMO, once you see how many different tools they have for that battery system, you'll end up getting more tools. I have their brushless sawzall and 7.25 brushless circular saw.

That was actually a big selling point. I like the specs and size of the 1/2" Mid Torque impact wrench. A purchase for later. I planned to move on to the Dewalt 20v stuff, but I just wasn't finding comparable tools at the same prices.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7020084334

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:

Might need Harbor Freight bits - use once and throw away Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I planned to move on to the Dewalt 20v stuff, but I just wasn't finding comparable tools at the same prices.

Once you use the 20V DeWalt, you'll be hooked!

I use an impact for almost everything. Sheet metal, drywall and deck screws. Lag bolts. Have a SK 1/4 SAE and Metric socket set and use it for bolts and fasteners. Breaking loose rusted and corroded fasteners. Drilling, have a 1/4" hex x drill bit kit, the universal step bits and a diamond drill kit, which will drill concrete.

I use a 1/2" impact to REMOVE lug nuts, as this task is too abusive on the 1/4" impacts.

I rarely use a cordless hammer drill due to having the impact. Unless, I need to use a hole saw or drill a larger hole through concrete.

Used to burn up a cordless drill once a year, until I switched over to the impact. Now, I will never look back. My original 12V DeWalt impact is still running strong after many years of service. I did switch over to the 20V Impact for better features (run time, more tool options, better batteries, front LED lights, etc).

One huge advantage of using the impact is that it doesn't twist your wrist into a pretzel.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not use it for something like actually loosening lug nuts simply because, in my opinion, that's what impact wrenches are for and impact drivers are not impact wrenches. But I will sometimes loosen them with a breaker bar and then use an impact driver to run them off and back on to the point that I can finish with a torque wrench, rather than dragging out a heavier impact wrench. Otherwise, my impact drivers have become one of my most used tools. Easier and less likely to break a screw than with a drill, more compact, and more manageable. It's likely a good time to pick up a couple of batteries because the last couple of tools I bought came with two batteries and a charger for about the same price as a package of just two batteries.

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've thought about getting one of those little 1/4" impact drivers for a few years now, but always talked myself out of them because I have cordless Dewalt drills and screwdrivers. I've never had the impact variety - the 1/4" one.

Besides regular screws, how useful are these? I don't expect to be doing lug nuts, but surely these have more uses than regular screws. Would 3/8" ratchet/socket assembly and disassembly work be within the limits?

FYI - I got this one, going from Yellow to Red. I could not pass up the price. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...7?keyword=1002634101

I have that one too and a bunch of other Milwaukee coordinated tools.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I use them on screws and the like several times a week.

As of late I've been using thm on bolts/nuts (automotive). Now that I have, I'm using it more and more often for that. I used them taking tires off and on the other day. Broke them loose with a tire iron, then spun them off with the drive. Same putting them on, just checked/tightened them that last bit with a tire iron.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I use my 1/4 impact for screws. Easier to drive screws with a small impact IMO. Also use them for car work on small bolts. I've converted to Dewalt for most of my cordless but my business also sells them so I get a good discount.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use one similar to all above uses.

the "best" is driving screws or removing screws. unlike other cordless drills, even at low speed/tourque setting on a drill, there is a tendency to strip the screw head. the impact driver will not strip the screw head as often, provide you use the proper bit.

too many people think a #2 Philips drive is a "do all" bit. use a #3 or torks or square drive that fits the screw head.

ymmv

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

I have that one too. I use it for pretty much everything.

I am looking at impact wrenches though for lug nuts and such. Probably go with Milwaukee 1/2".

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

I could swear I saw that model on a Home Depot Black Friday ad for $99. I have Makita for impact driver and drill but I have some other Milwaukee stuff....seems to be built like a tank.

If I could rationalize buying another, I would be all over that Milwaukee.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When attaching HardieBacker to the floor or wall before tiling, a ¼" DeWalt 20v is what I use.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:
I could swear I saw that model on a Home Depot Black Friday ad for $99. I have Makita for impact driver and drill but I have some other Milwaukee stuff....seems to be built like a tank.

If I could rationalize buying another, I would be all over that Milwaukee.

Was the $99 one a brushless model?

From what I've read the brushless models are more efficient with the battery usage.

Or maybe the $99 deal didn't come with a battery & charger? Milwaukee does sell a lot of their tools as tools only as they know once you get into their system, you will likely have multiple tools & chargers.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
They are selling the DeWalt 20v Drill/Driver brushless for $99.00 plus two batteries. Good deal, since the batteries are usually $80.00 dollars apiece themselves. I upgraded to 20V system a couple years-ago, and never looked back.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Spinning off my lug nuts, or any other nuts/bolts that have lots of fine threads. Break the torque first with a breaker bar, then spin away with your cordless. Same thing in reverse. Torque at final.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I use mine mostly to drive screws. They work great with longer wood screws, 2"-3".

I've also used them to drive in lag bolts and many other things.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I am looking at impact wrenches though for lug nuts and such. Probably go with Milwaukee 1/2".

18V by chance?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post