SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida Man tries to carjack two different cars, both drivers pull out guns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Man tries to carjack two different cars, both drivers pull out guns Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
This ain't New York City you moron! You're lucky to still be alive.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/su...ivers-pull-out-guns/

Suspected Walmart robber tries to carjack two different cars, both drivers pull out guns

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (WSVN) — Police say a man who tried to carjack two people was thwarted after the victims both pulled out guns to protect themselves.

According to Fox 30, Jacksonville police officers arrested 36-year-old Christopher Raymond Hill, charging him with strong-arm robbery, carjacking with firearm or deadly weapon, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and trespassing.

Detectives said the incident began when Hill robbed a Walmart liquor store, and attempted to flee in a silver Ford SUV. However, witnesses said the vehicle would not start, so he first tried to carjack Scott Reardean at knifepoint, cutting him on his arms and legs.

“I reached in between my glove box and my console, between my seats, reached down and got my weapon and brandished it for him,” Reardean told WJXT. “He was like, ‘Don’t shoot me.’ I was like, ‘Then get out of here.’”

Hill then jumped into the passenger seat of a woman’s car in a Starbucks drive-thru. Police said the woman got out of her car and grabbed a pistol from her trunk, pointing it at Hill until he ran off.

Reardean said he was glad he had his gun with him for self-defense.

“These guys can talk about banning assault rifles and banning guns, but when it comes and happens to them, they’re going to wish they had one,” Reardean told the station.

Ultimately, police found Hill inside the bathroom of a Supercuts, where he surrendered.

According to an arrest report, Hill told police, “The reason I was running and did this was because somebody was after me.”

Hill is currently being held on a bond of $91,512.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Violent gun owners! Big Grin

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
So that makes two more verifiable incidents where a "Good guy with a gun" stopped a bad guy. The argument is really getting tired.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Detectives said the incident began when Hill robbed a Walmart liquor store, and attempted to flee in a silver Ford SUV. However, witnesses said the vehicle would not start, so he first tried to carjack Scott Reardean at knifepoint, cutting him on his arms and legs.

So this dirtbag tries to hijack a car, cuts the driver on his arms and legs, the victim pulls a gun and tells the asshole to leave!?!?!?!?!?

Dirt bag should have been laying in a pool of blood when LEO arrived!

Would have prevented the attack on the second victim, too.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stupid should hurt

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

“I reached in between my glove box and my console, between my seats, reached down and got my weapon and brandished it for him,” Reardean told WJXT.

Mr. Reardean would have been perfectly justified in just shooting, no warning, having already been cut. If the shitbag had taken a good slice out his forearm, he wouldn't have been able to pull the trigger.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Surprised no one actually shot him.
You have to wonder why they didn't?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Because we're nice.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the circumstances but these people were lucky that the thief was an incompetent idiot. You're weapon should be on your person not in a console or trunk of a car.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m not nice. I woulda shot him. It’s only fair. You slice holes in me, I get to punch holes through you.

quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I don't know the circumstances but these people were lucky that the thief was an incompetent idiot. You're weapon should be on your person not in a console or trunk of a car.

They likely didn’t have concealed carry permits. In Florida, you can keep a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a carry permit as long as it’s locked in the console or glove compartment or otherwise reasonably inaccessible. Once they stopped recognizing my state’s permit for carry, this is what I’ve done when I visit family there. FWIW, I agree completely. This is every bit the argument for having the gun ON you.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Both of those people are very lucky that off body carry worked for them, mostly.
If the criminal had a gun himself, it wouldn't have worked out so well.
The first guy had plenty of reason to shoot. The woman in the second case had time to get to her trunk for her gun but the guy was still likely within 21 feet and this isn't a blue state so I doubt she would have had a problem either.
Fortunately the criminal was more incompetent than the victims.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

God I love Jacksonville!
We talk about permit holders but In Florida with as many permit holders out there, there are many more gun owners with a gun in the car that do not have a permit to carry.

Florida requires a pistol to be securely encased. This means it must be in a snapped holster, zippered case, glove box, console or box with a lid on it. There is no requirement for the glove box/console to be locked. Florida Also does not distinguish between a loaded gun and an unloaded gun so there is none of this unloaded/3 step BS you hear about.

Fun Fact: the first guy could have shot him even without being cut first. Florida law recognizes the carjacking itself as grounds for deadly force.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hill is currently being held on a bond of $91,512

I'm curious how they came up with that particular figure. Has to be formula of some kind I suppose, or else the judge just threw some dice.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Because we're nice.

No.

They are nice.

I'm not nice to people who wound me with a knife.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I’m not nice. I woulda shot him. It’s only fair. You slice holes in me, I get to punch holes through you.
quote:
They likely didn’t have concealed carry permits. In Florida, you can keep a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a carry permit as long as it’s locked in the console or glove compartment or otherwise reasonably inaccessible.
Yup. Except, it does NOT have to be "locked" in the console or glove compartment. Just putting it in there is sufficient, no locking required. Here is the statute:
quote:
Possession in Private Conveyance.

Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self- defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Because we're nice.

No.

They are nice.

Maybe some people feel that taking a life should be something you Have to do, not something you Get to do.

Once he got his gun out, while legally he may have been able to shoot him, the news story indicates that the perp went from badass to pussy rather quickly. I guess he could have shot him while he ran away.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
To reinforce V-Tail's post, Florida Statute 790.001 (17) defines "securely encased:

"790.001...
(17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
quote:
Because we're nice.

No.

They are nice.

Maybe some people feel that taking a life should be something you Have to do, not something you Get to do.

Once he got his gun out, while legally he may have been able to shoot him, the news story indicates that the perp went from badass to pussy rather quickly. I guess he could have shot him while he ran away.

I don't always agree with you, but today you are spot on. Shooting someone is a last option. I don't care if justified or not. Especially if the guy is retreating. First I lose my gun until case is closed and charges decided upon. Second what if they decide to charge you, even if cleared in the end you're still out 10's of thousands, have an arrest record, and miss work.

Only problem with this is I'm not likely to realize he's stopped attacking until he's already leaking.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Bad things happen after a good shooting.

Reardon made his own decision to shoot, or not to shoot.

Hopefully, neither you or I will have to.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
quote:
Because we're nice.

No.

They are nice.

Excellent post.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post