SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Props to our pilots
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Props to our pilots Login/Join 
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted
Props to our pilots on board - uncle was a bush pilot in the '60s, and I've had a love-hate (non-flying) relationship with a variety of jets in my Air Force career. But this is by God flying; VFR only need apply...

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Looks like a great community of folks to hang with.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I've been watching some ytube videos of Patey building that thing, and it's rated to 28,000 feet and has O2 onboard.

He did some amazing work on it.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I follow Trent Palmer, Corey, Mike Patey and the KitFox guys on YouTube and instagram - only folks I do that with.

Very very cool flying. The Draco is a Wilga 2000 that had an IO540 that blew up (over the great salt lake) and he undertook the rebuild to make a dream STOL machine. Awesome engineering, fabrication and lots of work.

The videos they put out of flying VFR in the midwest make me jealous and want to buy a hilltop dirt strip and cabin myself. I think I'm coming to an age where low and slow fun / travel would suit me. Getting serious about a Carbon Cub or Kitfox (leaning Kitfox Series 7 STI) build in the next few years.

Thanks for the post - that thing is awesome (737 lights in the wing-tip cufs, backup cameras, O2, 4 place, wing chord widened, wing changed from slotted to slats (with adjustable incidence).

Also check out Mike Patey's Turblence Lancair conversion to turboprop - that thing is Crazy!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
They must have made some real breakthroughs with the engines in those Kitfox and similar.

~30 years ago, there was an air show in San Diego. One fellow flew down in his Kitfox, and ended up in the median of the freeway, made the news. I remember talking to him at the shows, that he was averaging one engine failure per 1.5 flight hours, something like that.

I think they were using snowmobile engines, Rotax or something like that.

A friend of mine ended up with one. I went to his airport to fly it, but we never could get it started. After several hours of trying this and that, testing, hand propping, we gave up.

I remember him being real proud of having discovered what the problem was, wrong spark plugs heat range. He ended up losing the engine out in the boonies somewhere and being lucky to get away with only broken ribs and a bump on the head.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Rotax engines are considered reliable now. They certainly had a lot of problems early on, like the subaru engines. Most mechanics did not understand the tech and wouldn't touch them. Those installing them were among the "cheapskate" crowd in experimental aviation, and a lot of failures weren't actually the engine's fault but rather the installer's cheaping out on other parts.

Rotax made a good move by starting mechanic training and certifying mechanics to work on and maintain their engines. I have not heard stories of rotax reliability issues recently.

Sounds like your buddy was definitely lucky, but perhaps a good testament to the kitfox airframe also. I sure wouldn't shy away from owning one...but the Rotax has always been a turn off for me. I should get on board with the new tech... I know lycoming and continental engines inside and out though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
If I ever win the Alaskan lottery, getting a wilga setup like that would probably be my #2 item.

Absolutely amazing. I've seen few planes as perfectly setup for Alaskan flying as that. I saw the plane on AOPA live, but this youtube clip is a much better showcase.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

Sounds like your buddy was definitely lucky, but perhaps a good testament to the kitfox airframe also. I sure wouldn't shy away from owning one...but the Rotax has always been a turn off for me. I should get on board with the new tech... I know lycoming and continental engines inside and out though.

There were a group of owners of Kitfox and its cousin, I forget what those were called. Both were kits, the promoters split up or something. Some used Rotax, and others used a very similar snow mobile engine. These owners liked to camp out in the mountains or high desert. They would pick a spot, all fly out and camp for a week or long weekend, go flying every morning. I remember they were arguing over how to select who got the honor of the first flight each day. Great fun if you can keep the fan turning.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool.

I can only hope that I have that level of disposable income one day though!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen a little bush flying in AK, it's very cool. My favorite technique is when they skip the tundra tires off the water to bleed off speed and lessen the ground roll on the sandbar.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post