SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun shops in Richmond VA area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun shops in Richmond VA area Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted
Hi, I am staying in Richmond for a few days and wondering if there's any local little gun shops in the area? I know about Academy and have been there a couple of times and also Greentops. I'm on the lookout for a nice used side x side shotgun. Thanks

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
I have bought from Town Police Supply aka Town Gun Shop at 3541 Courthouse Rd. Pretty good inventory and prices aren't stupid.

I have not been to the Colonial Shooting Academy in Richmond but have shot IDPA at the location in Virginia Beach. Their prices are high but they have lots of eye candy in the display cases.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I've bought a few guns from Green top in Ashland off of Route 1. Their people are knowledgeable and product savvy.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Degoffs in Mechanicsville a little northeast of Richmond towards the airport has been a favorite for decades. Most of the others in town are pretty expensive, if you ask me, so I don't go often. Greentop, north of town toward Ashland, will usually have the best selection of shotguns, and while their prices are high on handguns, they are better on scatterguns.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
There is also Hopkins Gun and Tackle in Mechanicsville. It's right around the corner from DeGoffs.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cabellas in short pump has high end sxs, brothers n arms in goochland has a couple of older sxs. Hopkins, degoffs, green top, bass pro, blue ridge, dances down past petersburg.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
There is also Hopkins Gun and Tackle in Mechanicsville. It's right around the corner from DeGoffs.

Bob Moates is right there too.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!!!

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:

Bob Moates is right there too.

DeGoffs and Hopkins are North East of Richmond in Mechanicsville.
Bob Moates is South of Richmond off of Hull Street near Town Gun Shop. Not a bad place if you are already in the area at Town Gun Shop, but I would doubt I would make a special trip.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Dominion Gun Range there on the South side isn't a great facility, but they do rent full auto. We had a Valentine's Day Full Auto night there once.

Bob Moates was one of the dealers targeted and harassed by Bloomberg's thugs. Despite being in poor health he fought them tooth and nail, and won. Sadly he passed away not long after, the added stress couldn't have helped, and I'll always blame Bloomy for that. Bob was a great guy and a true 2A champion in VA. Glad to see they haven't changed the name of the shop. Last thing i bought from him was a nice little 1903 Colt.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blue Ridge Arsenal in Ashland is the best range in the area. The rangemasters are Colonial are incredibly overbearing.

Green Top is the best store I've been to down here selection wise.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post