SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ** Update Page 4!** 1st car for a high school senior, hopefully last thru college... ideas?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Update Page 4!** 1st car for a high school senior, hopefully last thru college... ideas? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

My son is a senior in high school this year, and we're looking for his 1st car. We're hoping it could last him through 4 years of college too. He will likely be going to college close to home, and may possibly commute initially. I haven't purchased a used car since my very first vehicle back in 1996, and that was from a dealer who was a family friend.

My son has said he'd probably prefer a car rather than an SUV-type vehicle, but he's not choosy. We'd like to get something that's reliable, decent condition, fun, and have some longevity left in it. I'd like your thoughts on what makes/models you'd consider, and suggestions on how you search for, research and choose a used car to ensure you're getting a quality car at a fair price. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I was really hoping to keep this car under $5000, but I'm just starting the process so I guess I'm a bit open.

Chris

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris17404,

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Used 4cyl Camry, or Solara.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I bought my son an old Jeep Cherokee. LOL He wasn't initially commuting far so mileage didn't really matter, and the thing was built like a tank.

If I were buying a car, new, for a high school senior....I think I'd go with a Subaru Impreza. Decent mileage, holds value decently, reliable, safe, AWD.

Oh, just saw the used part. Well, a CPO Subaru Impreza. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're hoping it could last him through 4 years of college too.

No auto known to man lasted my 2 stepsons. Four years? The best was a base model Nissan 4x4 which one stepson used most for hauling his motocross bikes & trailer.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Camry or Honda Civic. They both seem to go forever.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some indication of your price range would be helpful. Some models of Honda and Toyota would be good choices. Jeep fuel efficiency and reliability-not so much. There are a lot of good choices out there and much depends on your price range.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I look at Off Lease cars.com--shows price, Carfax report and mileage. Gives you a prospective of what's out there... and usually why.

https://www.offleaseonly.com/

Posts: 2303 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Hi all,

My son is a senior in high school this year, and we're looking for his 1st car. We're hoping it could last him through 4 years of college too. He will likely be going to college close to home, and may possibly commute initially. I haven't purchased a used car since my very first vehicle back in 1996, and that was from a dealer who was a family friend.

My son has said he'd probably prefer a car rather than an SUV-type vehicle, but he's not choosy. We'd like to get something that's reliable, decent condition, fun, and have some longevity left in it. I'd like your thoughts on what makes/models you'd consider, and suggestions on how you search for, research and choose a used car to ensure you're getting a quality car at a fair price. Thanks for the help!

Chris

I'm right now selling a car perfect for your son. It's a 2012 Subaru Impreza, as ALlen mentions below. All wheel drive. Automatic. 107,000 miles. Meticulous upkeep and excellent shape. All weather package. Remote start for warming the car up in the winter. Runs GREAT. Asking $6,200. We just bought my wife a 2018 Forester XT, so I'm inheriting her Outback and my daily driver Impreza goes down the road. Maybe to you?

I'm in northern NJ, bought our Forester at Reedman in Langhorne. I attended the Army War College in Carlisle, to give you an idea that we are familiar with the general (York) area. Please do contact me and I'd be glad to show you the car. NMP IN NYC at YAHOO dot COM.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
CPO Subaru Forrester:
- bullet proof reliability as long as they are maintained (see numerous threads)
- good for messy road conditions - This area of PA can be a mixed bag snow/rain/slush in winter
- great safety rating
- Space for a college student to haul stuff come time to move out/in.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Used Corolla or Camry

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Get one with 100,000 to 150,000 miles on it, get a mechanic to verify the engine is in good shape, and they should last up to 250,000 easily. Upon buying one, I'd recommend changing all fluids/timing belt/water pump/etc immediately so you know the status of all maintenance work.

Update: The Impreza from NMPinNYC looks like a great option as well.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Used Corolla or Camry

Yep

Get a prepurchase inspection regardless of what you choose.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Civic or Corolla. Great mileage and they run for a long time with basic maintenance. Insurance should be reasonable, too.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two ways to look at this.

Most reliable, cheapest to run go Japanese.

Subaru, Honda,Nissan.

Put an iron cage around him.

Go American.

I picked the latter, when he slid into a guardrail visiting a friend in a snowstorm, he walked away. The car was totaled.

I knew the apple didn't fall far from the tree, so my decision was easy.

YMMV

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honda Civic or Accord, or comparable Toyota.

My son got a used Civic with 100K miles on it and is starting his 2nd year of college.

I tell him the car can take him places (figuratively), if he takes care of it and realizes it is an economy car with no frills - ie not a race car.

So far so good - we've had it going on a year now with no issues other than minor things that were fix by us and were wear and tear items (center console hinge broke and it needed new brakes & window seals.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Get one with 100,000 to 150,000 miles on it, get a mechanic to verify the engine is in good shape, and they should last up to 250,000 easily. Upon buying one, I'd recommend changing all fluids/timing belt/water pump/etc immediately so you know the status of all maintenance work.

Update: The Impreza from NMPinNYC looks like a great option as well.

+1 and I bet you can find one with less mileage as well. Either way do all the maintenance above plus new plugs, air filter, etc.

Posts: 3722 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far! I appreciate it. I was really hoping to keep this car under $5000, but I'm just starting the process so I guess I'm a bit open. The Subaru Impreza is an intriguing choice. NMPinNYC.. I may contact you in the future. Thanks for the offer!

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla. All 4 are quality cars.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla. All 4 are quality cars.

This. Absolutely this.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Honda, or a Honda

Posts: 1554 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post