SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another university's enrollment tanks after showing it's radical leftist colors to the world
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another university's enrollment tanks after showing it's radical leftist colors to the world Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted
Canada’s Mizzou? Enrollment plunging at university that investigated gender-neutral pronoun debate

‘”Hard-line, leftist indoctrination” seems to have failed as a marketing strategy’

Wilfrid Laurier University may have thought that its public-relations problems ended in December, when its president admitted it should have never investigated a grad student’s [Lindsay Shepherd] decision to show a gender-neutral pronoun debate in class investigated a grad student’s decision to show a gender-neutral pronoun debate in class.

But the Canadian university’s problems are just beginning, as evidenced by new enrollment figures across Ontario institutions.

Laurier Finance Prof. William McNally pointed out the university’s admissions confirmations as of June 7 have declined 15.2 percent from a year ago, while first-place choices are down 12.5 percent, both the worst in the province.

This is in stark contrast to province-wide confirmations, which rose by 0.3 percent, he said: “Failing to stand for truth has consequences.”

David Haskell, the Laurier journalism professor who emerged early as grad student Lindsay Shepherd’s biggest faculty defender, jeered his institution while it’s down: “‘At WLU we practice hard-line, leftist indoctrination’ seems to have failed as a marketing strategy.”

He compared the school to America’s Evergreen State College, whose president predicted it would suffer an 18.5 percent enrollment drop this fall, on top of the 5 percent drop it suffered at the start of the 2017-2018 academic year.

The school became a national punchline a year ago after students and faculty ganged up on husband-and-wife professors Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying for publicly disagreeing with its anti-white Day of Absence.

Laurier’s plummeting enrollment also starts it down the path suffered by the University of Missouri, which has lost a third of freshmen in the past two years, even after a bump coming this fall.

Made infamous by a professor who asked for “some muscle” to remove a journalist who was covering its fall 2015 racial protests, Mizzou had to shutter several dorms a year ago and laid off 30 recently to help plug a $49 million hole.

Link

------------------
The grad student at the center of the above story, Lindsay Shepard, has made the most of a bad situation and refused to be a silent victim:

Amidst the story of controversy that enveloped WLU, Shepherd did some deep soul searching. Many in her position would have resigned from the teaching assistant position, acquiescing or otherwise altering their educational strategies. But Shepherd did the opposite. She doubled down on her commitment to viewpoint diversity, refusing to change her methods.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Reap the whirlwind...

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good - never liked that school anyway

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Reap the whirlwind...

Correct. But the problem is liberals will never connect the flash with the bang, they will ignore or deny that their choice caused the problem.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the Liberal mind, this is all just further proof of how racist, misogynistic, and homophobic our society has become.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The pioneers get the arrows - unless the missionaries get them first.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Great news.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post