SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anything take you back quicker than music???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anything take you back quicker than music??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Granted a smell or a taste will take me back from time to time but music man depending upon the song it can take me back to an instant in time.
Especially the stuff I listened to in High School and College.

There are a ton of songs that I could list.

I can specifically remember riding in my buddies red Honda Civic with his brother and my brother and they debuted Matchbox 20s Push on the radio. I know exactly where we were and get taken back there every time I hear it.

Emery’s The Weak’s End takes me back to a rough time in my life (or at least I thought it was at the time).

I could go on and on.

Anything instantly take you back??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Moonlight mile. By the rolling stones.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Smell takes me back moreso than music. I think there have can a couple of studies that claim that our sense of smell forms the deepest associations with memory, and a believe it. If I walk by someone wearing the right perfume, I get a rush of emotions.

Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" does bring me back to one of the best Summers I've had though.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Any number of alternative-rock selections airing in the late '90s take me back to some "interesting" episodes in my life in that era.

When I'm in the right mood, I'll relive a few via an applicable Pandora music channel.

I concur re: smell. There are just certain scents that reconnect me to some of my best childhood memories instantly.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Countdown to Ecstasy. Any tune from this Steely Dan classic is a time machine for me.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Starbuck's "Moonlight Feels Right" brings back a flood of college memories. Bo Wagner's marimba solo is just nothing short of great. Perhaps being in the South back then made the song and the times unforgettable.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I have a habit of when I hear a new song that I really like, I usually listen to it over and over again until I burn out on it. So some songs remind me of very specific moments.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Mid-80's music and I'm right back in high school and college.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Yes, 2 come to mind.

One is Gloria by the Shadows of Knight. I remember laying in my bed at night listening to it on my Zenith clock-radio, 1966. I was 12-13. That song help me get into music.

The other one is Sister Golden Hair by America, 1975. I just spent abut 30 minutes trying to figure out the song name and band. I know the song when I hear it but can never remember the name or group. When I hear I'm instantly back to a night in 1975 right before I left for Coast Guard boot camp. I was in a bar/club with several buddies. The next thing I remember is being at the home/apartment of 2 attractive but a bit chubby blonds, and none of my buddies. Don't know how I got there, and all I remember is hugging and cuddling, and am pretty sure nothing else happened, with Sister Golden Hair playing on the radio or maybe they played the album.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Yep.

One brings me back to a specific time and place in HS, another does the same with college. Then there are ones for girls that where really important part of my life at one time or another.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
For me it's Pink Floyd's Animals album. The summer the album came out, I came down with chicken pox.

Living in the east county of San Diego without air conditioning, during the summer, chicken pox, and in 10th grade.

I still have that piece of vinyl.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Smell takes me back moreso than music. I think there have can a couple of studies that claim that our sense of smell forms the deepest associations with memory, and a believe it. If I walk by someone wearing the right perfume, I get a rush of emotions.

+1. Smell is supposed to be the most “prehistoric” sense and certain scent can snap me back. There are definitely a few songs that bring me back too though.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Music does it for me. And seeing cars from the 60s and 70s

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Can't listen to Dire Straits, Sultan of Swing without seeing myself working my first job in a pizza joint. My Sherona, football locker room everyone singing loud as we could. Alabama, a concert and proposing to my wife... 33 years ago.Yea, I guess you're right.

Smells are pretty intense too. Interior of my old Mustang, I got in one a few years ago, BAM it was 1978 again and I'm in my '67.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Smelling canvas will

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You bet it does. My first thought when I hear an oldie? Wondering what I doing at the time.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
why sure.....but sometimes old music gets in fast before my sensory filters it out: Guy Lombardo, Lawrence Welk, and House of the Rising Son.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Ozzy's "Momma I'm Coming Home" takes me back to the E-club while at Marine Combat Training in Camp Pendleton.

Garth Brooks' "The Dance" and SRV's version of "Little Wing" take be back to Millington, TN.

"Blurry" and "She F*****g Hates Me" by Puddle of Mud take me back to my divorce in 2002.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
For me, it's seeing a cherry '57 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elde:
Indeed. Starbuck's "Moonlight Feels Right" brings back a flood of college memories. Bo Wagner's marimba solo is just nothing short of great. Perhaps being in the South back then made the song and the times unforgettable.

Agreed that music can take you back in an instant. So many songs come mind.

Check out Bo's solo here in a 70s unitard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFPK5paOXnU

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post