SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two-way radio for the beach
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two-way radio for the beach Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Most these days are good for submersion up to 30 minutes.

Get the simplest one you can find. I have 4 or 5 with all sorts of features, but when you hand it to a newb, they can barely rurn it on and off.

Channels, subaudible tones, etc. aren’t that tricky, but it’s a mystery to those over about 30 yoa.

Do you think a water resistant radio would survive a quick drop into a few inches of water?

That’s how I understand the standard, immersion in a foot of water for 30 minutes, if that’s what they claim.

Midland GXT1050VP4 “JIS4 Waterproof* - Protection in all directions against light rain or splashing water”

The cheaper models have no claim to water resistance, it looks like.

This thread got me looking at FRS/GMRS radios for my family. One reason I'd like to have one is for when I'm out on the water in case something happens. I wouldn't be more than 4 miles straight line of sight to the house which is 10 feet above the water. I figured a waterproof version of these radios would be better than my non-waterproof cell phone. I've learned that JIS4 is splash and rain proof (30 minutes of heavy rain) not submersible. JIS-7 and the equivalent IP-67 ratings are submersible (30 minutes of submerssion at 1 meter). LINK

I only found two models that are rated either JIS-7 or IP-67, a Uniden and Motorola's T600 H2O. I bought a pair of the Motorolas and will give them a try today. I also bought a pair of the Midland radios JALLEN mentioned because the four of us won't all need submersible radios at the same time. The Midlands get better reviews, have higher TX power (3 watts), 3 year warranty vs 1 year on the Motorolas and were a little cheaper.

So far, the Midlands on low power (.43 watts) functioned fine from corner to corner on our 20 acre square dense woods with me in the house and my kids on the opposite corner.

I didn't realize when I bought them that because the Midlands can transmit at more 2 watts or more, they are GMRS not FRS radios and as such require a license to use. My understanding is the license is required based on the radio's capability and not whether or not I actually use the higher power. The license covers my immediate family, costs $70 and is good for 10 years. I applied for it this morning and should get my call sign later today.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Informal test of the Motorola T600 H2Os and the Midland GXT1000VP4s today. Channel 2 hi-power (1.5 watts erp I believe) on the Motorolas too much noise to communicate a little over 4 miles between them. About 300' of woods and the rest was open water. My daughter and I were in my truck while my sons were in the house on the other end. They were about 10' above the water and we were about 20' above the water. We could just make out ever other word. Tried the Midlands next on the same channel, in the same locations, and on medium power (2 watts erp) and we had no trouble talking to each other.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should be able to go into any outdoor shop and pick-up a set of FRS's, many come in either a 2 or 4-pack. Motorola and Midland you see the most of, lots of different colors and very easy to operate. This shouldn't be a hard search.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was in the CG, we used Motorola radios. They were very simple, yet were encrypted, six channels and an on off. Waterproof was nice as we were constantly wet. The charger was in the radio room and after a charge they lasted six to eight hours, also had a charger rack on the small boats.

I dunno what you have got going on but, if you're just gonna be on one mile of beach and within line of sight, why not cellphones?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw these 40 watt mobile GMRS radios from Midland. There’s also a 15 watt version that’s about $100 cheaper. Good for the car, Jeep, etc but not the beach. Anyway, here is an Amazon link to the 40 watt’r.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland...zozcmsepL&ref=plSrch

And if you want to get fancy, a smaller unit in an ammo can.
https://www.portableuniversalp...roducts/operator-g1/

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post