SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two-way radio for the beach
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two-way radio for the beach Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
I'd like to buy some two-way radios for a trip to Florida. It will mostly be line-of-sight use along a mile of beach. Should I buy something waterproof or purchase something like the Midland LXT118VP and replace them if something happens since they are only $20?

The Cobra CXT1035R FLT has great reviews for water resistance, but people say the reception can be an issue. The Motorola MS355R seems to have issues with both from the last few Amazon reviews. Any advice?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might look at Uniden. I have a pair and they have been great. Good battery life and clear transmit and receive. Mine are water resistant but I have not really soaked them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Most these days are good for submersion up to 30 minutes.

Get the simplest one you can find. I have 4 or 5 with all sorts of features, but when you hand it to a newb, they can barely rurn it on and off.

Channels, subaudible tones, etc. aren’t that tricky, but it’s a mystery to those over about 30 yoa.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Motorola rechargeable radios and they are super convenient. Replaced the batteries once. We leave one up in the condo and one on the beach. Some thought it was overkill but in about an hour we were wondering what we ever did without them.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
You might look at Uniden. I have a pair and they have been great. Good battery life and clear transmit and receive. Mine are water resistant but I have not really soaked them.

They look like pretty decent radios. Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Get the simplest one you can find. I have 4 or 5 with all sorts of features, but when you hand it to a newb, they can barely rurn it on and off.

Channels, subaudible tones, etc. aren’t that tricky, but it’s a mystery to those over about 30 yoa.

Do you think a water resistant radio would survive a quick drop into a few inches of water?

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

They look like pretty decent radios. Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Do you think a water resistant radio would survive a quick drop into a few inches of water?

That’s how I understand the standard, immersion in a foot of water for 30 minutes, if that’s what they claim.

Midland GXT1050VP4 “JIS4 Waterproof* - Protection in all directions against light rain or splashing water”

The cheaper models have no claim to water resistance, it looks like.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thank you, JALLEN!

Saluki
posted Hide Post
I want to second simplicity. Our group uses radios when hunting. It's taken roughly 8 years to get everyone on the same page.

I couldn't ascertain whether salt water beach or not. If salt I'd say all bets are off and demand waterproof anyway.

Finally let me ask, how many are capable of being separated from their cellphones?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
We have some older Motorolas that have lasted for a long by time, but I’ve never dropped them in the water. Always worked well for me, but I can’t say I pushed the range to the limits. Best thing I can say is they have been used on and off for over a decade and still work.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Not all these are water protected, especially the cheaper ones. RTFM!

I bought these radios to use on our annual trip to Grand Canyon years ago. I’ve been a ham for nearly 60 years.

I bought the radios, one for each of several parties, a total of 6-8 people, as they would be separated on the trail. Each year, the night before the hike, I would hold a briefing, let each handle the radio, turn it on, turn it off, change the channel, review the functions, etc.

One handy feature is the subaudible tone which when invoked, opens the receiver squelch only for signals which have the selected tone, to keep you from having to listen to all the other chatter. You can select a channel and tone to minimize this of there is a lot of activity where you are.

Jeepers! In the event, it was always a fiasco. I would set up the radios on the same channel and tone. Either the person would forget to turn the radio on, or would miss the call to change to a different channel or tone. When they heard the call to switch, few could figure out how to, would mess up the radio in the process and couldn’t get back to the original setting. What a fiasco, every year. Very frustrating!

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
I have a set of Motorola rechargeable radios and they are super convenient. Replaced the batteries once. We leave one up in the condo and one on the beach. Some thought it was overkill but in about an hour we were wondering what we ever did without them.

Which model Motorola do you have?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
I want to second simplicity. Our group uses radios when hunting. It's taken roughly 8 years to get everyone on the same page.

I couldn't ascertain whether salt water beach or not. If salt I'd say all bets are off and demand waterproof anyway.

Finally let me ask, how many are capable of being separated from their cellphones?

Salt water. We can carry phones, but it is a lot cheaper to replace a two-way.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know which license you no longer need? I was talking to Midland today and they told me something changed at the end of 2017.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
So far as I understand it, a license is still required to use GMRS frequencies.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
So far as I understand it, a license is still required to use GMRS frequencies.

Not exactly. The frequency channels are shared.

From the link above:

quote:
In May 2017, the FCC significantly revised the rules for combination FRS/GMRS radios. Combination radios will be permitted to radiate 2 watts on all channels, and all FRS channels are now considered shared with the GMRS service. Operation over 2 watts, or operation on GMRS repeater input channels, will still require GMRS licensing. The FCC will not certify combination FRS/GMRS radios that exceed the current power limits for the FRS service.[1]

Hybrid FRS/GMRS consumer radios have been introduced that have 22 channels. Before May 2017, radios had been certified for unlicensed operation on the 7 FRS frequencies, channels 8–14, under FRS rules.[4]

Prior to the 2017 revision, FCC rules required a GMRS license to operate on channels 1–7 using more than 0.5 watts.[2] Many hybrid radios have an ERP that is lower than 0.5 watts on channels 1–7, or can be set by the user to operate at low power on these channels. This allows hybrid radios to be used under the license-free FRS rules if the ERP is less than 0.5 watts and the unit is certified for FRS operation on these frequencies.[2] Beginning September 28, 2017, FRS operation is permitted at up to 2 watts on these channels.

Interference to licensed services may be investigated by the FCC.[5]

Channels 8–14, formerly exclusive to FRS, since September 28, 2017 can be used by GMRS at 0.5 watts. Channels 15–22, formerly reserved exclusively for GMRS, can be used at up to 2 watts in the FRS.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Baofeng radio. Turn the wattage down. For SHTF the FCC wont be around to check your license.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Baofeng radio. Turn the wattage down. For SHTF the FCC wont be around to check your license.

Those radios are so complicated to be usable by any but the most dedicated.

If you aren’t using them regularly, you have to have the manual in hand to do much.

When SHTF, the FCC can turn its attention to other issues, because almost none of the illegal Baofeng users will be able to get them on the air, at all, let alone on frequencies they want to talk to others.

The only thing more perplexing than the radios are the ahh, manuals.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, from what Midland told me this is a 2 watt radio. Because of that it won't require a license? I want to make sure I understand the post above.

https://midlandusa.com/product/lxt118two-way-radio/

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
JALLEN, from what Midland told me this is a 2 watt radio. Because of that it won't require a license? I want to make sure I understand the post above.

https://midlandusa.com/product/lxt118two-way-radio/

The ad says it is certified for FRS, no license. Look at the ad. It doesn’t appear to include a charger, or any accessories. Those and headsets are extra.

With 2 watts, those batteries are going to go fast. The old radios were .5 watt ERP, which has to do with antenna efficiency. Those were plenty powerful enough. I wonder if the 2 watts refers to transmitter power, more power being a selling feature, rather than the former ERP, which might have been 2 watts power reduced to .5 watts radiated power?