SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wi-Fi's WPA2 has been cracked
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wi-Fi's WPA2 has been cracked Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Would this be a problem for something like say, a Kindle Paperwhite? I went to Amazon's website and searched. I did not come up with anything related to this.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Ok, so this has happened twice now this week on 2 different computers.

Type in router IP address, hit enter and "This page cannot be displayed" comes up.
Now what?

You sure you got the right address?

I'd look at the bottom/back of the router. Usually there's a sticker that says something like "router login: XXX.XXX.X.XXX." If not, some web searches for a manual on your specific model router are in order to find the default login info.

Fun factoid for those with Netgear routers: if you type "routerlogin.net" into your URL bar it'll redirect you to the router's login page. I'm unsure if their commercial gear is like that, but I know both the El Cheapo router I've got for my side of the house and the NightHawk gaming router we just got for the rest of the house were set up like that.

Now, remembering your admin password...You're on your own for that one.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
If I read this correctly yesterday when it came out, the hacker must be within range of your WiFi network to hack it. The hack does not work over the internet, so that does mitigate the risk a bit. The primary point of vulnerability is public WiFi networks (think Starbucks and the like), so it might be a good idea for a while to not utilize them.

This hack breaks the encryption in secure connections at the WiFi protocol level. Public WiFi is unencrypted anyway. It's always a good idea to avoid them IMO. I hotspot to my iPhone even when free WiFi is available.

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Hmmm... Have to check on my AP (Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro),

It was my understanding that Ubiquiti was already patched against this. (I run UAP-AC-PRO as well. Fantastic little beast.)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Hmmm... Have to check on my AP (Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro),

It was my understanding that Ubiquiti was already patched against this. (I run UAP-AC-PRO as well. Fantastic little beast.)

Not according to this: looks like I need to update mine too.
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us...-KRACK-Vulnerability

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Ok, so this has happened twice now this week on 2 different computers.
Type in router IP address, hit enter and "This page cannot be displayed" comes up.
Now what?

You sure you got the right address?
I'd look at the bottom/back of the router. Usually there's a sticker that says something like "router login: XXX.XXX.X.XXX." If not, some web searches for a manual on your specific model router are in order to find the default login info.
>>>>
Fun factoid for those with Netgear routers: if you type "routerlogin.net" into your URL bar it'll redirect you to the router's login page.

The netgear routerlogin is what I had to use at home. That worked.
The other router that I was trying to get to work couldn't be found using the info from the owners manual.
I will have to head over to Mom's again and see if I can get the damn thing to setup.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This really isn't a big deal for the average home user - someone would have to be within range of your network so the odds are quite low that they'd specifically target you unless you're some high profile person.

Businesses on the other hand - they should be worried if they're using WIFI.

Any PUBLIC networks (coffee shops etc) you would also be exposed more. I only connect to trusted WIFI networks (none of those public ones due to many other vulnerabilities).

If you apply the updates as they come out and don't connect to untrusted networks the risk for the average person is exceedingly small IMO.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post