SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Digital SLR Camera Repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital SLR Camera Repair Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have suggestions on how to proceed with a broken Cannon EOS Rebel T5i

Flash no longer works and its out of warranty.

Do you know of a reputable repair business I could send this to for repair.

Thanks Eric

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I've used the official Canon service center in CA:

123 Paularino Ave, Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Had to have the same 24-105 USM I repaired twice (not Canon's fault, I used it to death once in Israel 2013, and again in Puerto Rico in 2017). Also had my 5D Mark I repaired by them after it took a tumble off a tripod.

You can fill out a repair request and then send your camera in:

https://www.usa.canon.com/inte...pport/service-repair

If you're a Canon shooter, and get a chance to stop buy their showroom, I wouldn't pass it up. It's very much a candy store, except the candy is $1K+ a piece.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks LDD

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The flash being broken might be a blessing in disguise. You really shouldn't be using the on-body flash if you can avoid it.

Perhaps you should consider investing the repair money into a speed lite.

Here is a third-party speedlight that works with canon's Through The Lens flash metering system:

https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO...=yongnuo+flash+canon

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pretty tough to justify spending much repairing a digital camera out of warranty. They lose value very quickly as new models are introduced.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The brain tells it and me what to do. I agree about the built not being great but its built in and computer manages it when needed.

I've had issues with add on flashes damaging hot shoe due to physical stress.

Also think there may be other issues with camera that led to flash failing. I had it on vacation in bahamas and salt air may have effected it.

I may get that flash you linked to and use it after I get this brick fixed. Have you used that model or know much of it?

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The flash being broken might be a blessing in disguise. You really shouldn't be using the on-body flash if you can avoid it.

Perhaps you should consider investing the repair money into a speed lite.

Here is a third-party speedlight that works with canon's Through The Lens flash metering system:

https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO...=yongnuo+flash+canon

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Yongnuo YN560 manual flashes, and the wireless flash trigger. They're manual in the sense that they don't do TTL metering.

The flashes are awesome and function exactly as intended--mine have wireless transceivers in them, to allow them to be controlled and triggered wirelessly.

I suspect that the TTL models designed for Canon will work similarly.

I shoot Fuji and not a lot of third party flash makers have a Fuji compatible TTL flash.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aeteocles...I'll see what cannon says about the condition and cost to repair. If I don't fix it I'll sell it on ebay with the lenses and start over and research a new dslr. I won this one at a convention so other than lost utility I'm not out too much. Wished I'd moved on it last summer('16) when it failed.

Last Cannon I had a t2(or3)i was flawless this one failed so soon.

posted Hide Post
I've only used the Canon facility in California, very efficient and the cost was less than expected.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't put the speedlight on the hot shoe, that's where your trigger goes, the speedlight either goes on a bracket or a stand, or in the hands of a voice activated light stand (an assistant). Smile

You may want to inquire about repair, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a decent chunk of the next newer model.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Manufacturers' repair centers are usually where you're going to find the most "bang" for your buck when it comes to equipment repair costs. It's also probably the most reliable option quality-wise.

quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
It's pretty tough to justify spending much repairing a digital camera out of warranty. They lose value very quickly as new models are introduced.

For an entry level camera, you may well be right. In many cases I can see just tossing (or scrapping/selling) it, and replacing it.

But start getting into the nicer pro and prosumer grade cameras the cost/benefit equation gets weighted a little more heavily toward the "benefit" side. They definitely depreciate, but they do so at a much slower rate than the entry level cameras. The Nikon D800, for example, was released in 2012, and is 2 generations old at this point. It's still going for over $1000.

OP, definitely get the speedlight regardless of what you do. You won't believe how much difference it makes being able to bounce your flash.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Yes. Lower end bodies can often be more cheaply replaced than repaired.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its waiting ups pickup. I'm sending to the closest Cannon repair depot in Newport News, VA.

They give a quote a no charge so will see.

Imagine they know if its too high no work for them. The market for DSLR and camcorder etcc. has really dropped off with the onset of smartphones cannibalization.

Way way way back in the day I was photographer for yearbook and HS paper. We had to shoot develope film and print whatever was to make it in annual or paper. I did bounce flash using vivitar 283. Never did off camera flash though using slave.

Found a new in box 283 at neighbors yard sale and used it on this camera but it was way off tech wise to be of any real use plus draws too much trigger voltage.

posted Hide Post
The quote came back $ 179lbr/prts(replaced three parts groups) + frght 14 + tax 13.03=206.03

Approved and was back in yesterday 10/25/17. Works like it should. Thought it was a little high considering how soon out of warranty it failed but had little real option considering loss in value to sell body broken.

I'm thankful that it could be repaired and they seemed to have done a solid job.