SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will someone help my with my daughter's iphone 4 and text messages?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will someone help my with my daughter's iphone 4 and text messages? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
We gave her an iphone 4. It has no cell service, just our home wifi.

She has some friends changing schools and wants to be able to text them to keep in touch. Anyone know how to make this work?

Seem like my oldest daughter could do this with her old one before we got her an iphone.

Any help is appreciated!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
The iPhone 4 has to be on wifi and her friends need to also have iPhones and use iMessage, not SMS.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
As long as you have wifi you can use FB messenger.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Your phone should have a feature called “text message forwarding”, by pairing her phone to yours she can send text or SMS messages to her non-IPhone friends. At least it works with my iPad to iPhone pairing. Just sign her in to your iMessage account.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Snapchat.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
As long as you have wifi you can use FB messenger.

This or Viber or google voice.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19649 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is a chat app of some kind; there are a large number of them available. It will require that her network of friends download the same app.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I've been using WhatsApp to communicate with my daughter while she's studying abroad. It uses a WiFi connection. With it we can text, talk and video between us. Her friends would need to install the app too.

It's been great for us.

quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Snapchat.

I know it's popular, but I'd recommend against Snapchat. The premise behind it is that messages / pictures are temporary (I can assure you that they are NOT). Sometimes kids don't fully comprehend the ramifications of certain actions...

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Bottom line is a chat app of some kind; there are a large number of them available. It will require that her network of friends download the same app.

Google Voice, mentioned by RayHRH, wouldn't require her friends to have a separate app. It gives her another phone number that they can text to. She WILL need to have the GV app on her phone though.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3298 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I've been using WhatsApp to communicate with my daughter while she's studying abroad. It uses a WiFi connection. With it we can text, talk and video between us. Her friends would need to install the app too.

It's been great for us...

WhatsApp is what came to my mind. Believe it creates a number for you and allows calls and texts without a plan, just need wifi. Admittedly, I've never used it, just heard of it and that it's supposed to be good.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Your phone should have a feature called “text message forwarding”, by pairing her phone to yours she can send text or SMS messages to her non-IPhone friends. At least it works with my iPad to iPhone pairing. Just sign her in to your iMessage account.

But understand, you will also receive any texts meant for her and she will see any texts you send or are sent for you...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:

But understand, you will also receive any texts meant for her and she will see any texts you send or are sent for you...
Yeah, my friend crossed the streams like that with his kid...

It took us awhile to figure out why he often never responded to imessages, cuz his son would see them first sometimes and then delete them as unwanted.

Solution to that is to make a childs itunes account which the parent controls. I text my 11 year olds on their ipad minis, but they can't text anyone else (in addition to being locked down on many, many fronts).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Textfree app?

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
The iPhone 4 has to be on wifi and her friends need to also have iPhones and use iMessage, not SMS.

This is correct. iMessage uses email protocol not SMS (simple message system) protocol. Can also Facetime and FB messenger etc. I suppose you could get her a data only plan to send sms off wifi...?

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
They can download the free chat app "kik". All you need is an internet connection and that all users have the Kik app. There is also an app called Wechat that works the same way.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post