SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun used in Chicago VA hospital shooting confirmed stolen from Indiana
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun used in Chicago VA hospital shooting confirmed stolen from Indiana Login/Join 
posted
Very clear video of the break in. Here is the story:

INDIANAPOLIS — The gun a suspected shooter used to fire nine shots at a Chicago VA hospital was stolen from a store in Indiana, according to WGN's sister station WXIN.

Bernard Harvey, 40, is accused of illegally bringing a semi-automatic rifle into the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center Monday. He was charged with one count of illegal possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, and is being held without bond.

On July 27, surveillance video captured the break-in and theft of 33 guns from Element Armament in New Whiteland, Indiana.

The owner of the store confirmed to WXIN that the serial number of the gun used in the shooting at Jesse Brown VA Medical Center in Chicago Matches one that was stolen from his store.

Harvey is expected to be back in court Friday.
LINK:https://wgntv.com/2019/08/14/gun-used-in-chicago-va-hospital-shooting-confirmed-stolen-from-indiana/

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Not at all uncommon.

And without putting your entire inventory is large safes, hard to protect against.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Dang!

Maybe they should pass a law against stealing stuff! Wait a minute.... never mind.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
So my question. Since he possessed a firearm stolen from a different state and it crossed state lines and used in a Federal facility will he be charged in Federal court together with state charges that also would apply, most likely possession of an unregistered firearm and no valid FOID card plus whatever else they can dig up.

Or will he be allowed to plea bargain to a lesser charge? I'm betting on this scenario as more likely.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Dang!

Maybe they should pass a law against stealing stuff! Wait a minute.... never mind.

Eggzactly!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So my question. Since he possessed a firearm stolen from a different state and it crossed state lines and used in a Federal facility will he be charged in Federal court together with state charges that also would apply, most likely possession of an unregistered firearm and no valid FOID card plus whatever else they can dig up.

Or will he be allowed to plea bargain to a lesser charge? I'm betting on this scenario as more likely.

My guess is that they will let the Feds prosecute and hold the state charges for the time being. Lots of possible charges at the Federal level. Convicted felon is possession of a firearm, etc. etc. He will not be seeing daylight anytime soon.

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I work for the Feds
This will be handled by the Federal courts.

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

BATF investigates all thefts from federal firearms licenses.

This one will stay federal.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly hope so.

At least in Michigan we have a firearm enhancement if memory serves me correct. This came about during the 70's, an additional two/five/ten years additional to a sentence that must be done consecutively with no time off for good behavior. Somewhere I read that this is most commonly used as a bargaining chip instead of a punishment to get either a confession or additional information from someone being charged.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Thank god the morons in Washington are discussing universal background checks which obviously would have prevented this incident. Roll EyesRoll EyesRoll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
I work for the Feds
This will be handled by the Federal courts.

That's good because Kimeesha will give him an Ibond and make him out to be a victim.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Thank god the morons in Washington are discussing universal background checks which obviously would have prevented this incident. Roll EyesRoll EyesRoll Eyes

Maybe a new law that makes sure thieves can pass a background check before they go a stealin’ could have prevented this. More likely, the left is pushing for confiscation of the 99.9% of guns that DON’T get used in crimes. You know, so they don’t get used in crimes...somehow.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
It is so obvious, I don't know how anyone can't see it! Shut down all gun dealers, prohibit private possession, and there won't be any thefts!

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly most likely scenario is a plea bargain down to disorderly conduct and 6 months probation!
Back when my brother was a small town cop he served up countless “felon in possession of a firearm “ cases to the feds. In almost every case there was some lame ass excuse why they did not move forward with a case to include such simple answers as we are under staffed, too busy, and in on case “just don’t want to bother. At almost every level gun related charges are often the first pleaeded off.
Here is an idea - if a gun charge is pleaded off and the criminal commits another gun related crime after the judge and prosecutor involved serve time instead!

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shooting up a VA hospital is kind of a big deal. Not on the level of shooting at the White House but certainly significant. There will be a further tightening of security throughout the system even though they nabbled the guy before he wounded anyone. Additionally, unless this guy successfully plays the mentally ill card, I believe they will make an example of him. I do not see any plea bargaining being successful. JMO

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Looks like he'll be a non-paying guest of a variety of states of the Union until around 3092, possibly a Tuesday.

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Don't forget FOID cards too.