SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting A New TV. Suggestions Requested.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting A New TV. Suggestions Requested. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
...When hooking it up I saw it was made in Mexico, not Japan. I knew it would not last.

Good luck.

Samsung is a Korean company just as an FYI.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Btw: You claim it's not your WiFi network, and maybe that's so, but it's been my personal experience, born of hours spent on tech-related forums, that people with better wireless network hardware suffer fewer problems with "balky" devices.
Router (WAP) is less than fifteen feet from the TV. Poking around in the system information page displayed on the TV, the wifi signal strength is shown as "excellent." Until it drops out. Going through the network reset routine on the TV restores everything for a few hours, maybe a day.

Other devices that use wifi in the same room have never had a problem. Never. This would include any of three different MacBooks that might be brought into that room, either of two iPhones, couple of iPads, Kindle Fire, Kindle PaperWhite -- none of these have ever had a wifi connection problem. Not even once.

The TV wifi connection was rock solid for a bit over a year. Then, it started getting finicky. Firmware is up to date. Only thing I can think of is either buggy firmware in an update in the last few weeks, not likely or many other people would have the same problem, or more likely, hardware has gone flakey. Capacitor gone bad (I don't know whether electrolytics are used)? Other component? Bad solder joint? Weak component with heat damage? My money is on one of the preceding.
quote:
Originally posted by ergoproxy:

You must have a neighbor who just got a new whiz bang router last cyber Monday
Neighbor on one side spends most of his time at a different residence. Have not seen him for months. Neighbor on other side would not know a router from a klystron modulator (I haven't thought about those since my Navy days, maintaining radio / radar stuff, back in the 1950s!). Although, come to think of it, I did see a service truck in front of her house a few weeks ago, was either Spectrum or AT&T, can't remember which. Scanning, I don't see any new networks in the area, and all of the otheres are lower signal strength than mine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I bought a Samsung for my daughter who lives a few thousand miles away. I bought it from Costco and had them deliver and install the tv ( wall Mount)in her apt.
A few months later she began to get lines across the screen. She notified Costco of the problem, they notified Samsung because the TV was still under warranty from Samsung.
Samsung sent out a repair tech who reported that the tv was damaged when installed and they would NOT warranty it.I argued that the tv was fine for several months, there is no apparent damage to the TV, It was delivered and installed by a Costco agent.
I researched the problem and found hundreds of complaints from the same issue. I argued with Costco and was told that unfortunately for me the TV was under Samsung warranty and there warranty does not kick in until the factory warranty ends.There was nothing they could do.
NEVER another Samsung, I buy LG or Sony now.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I wouldn’t own a heavy appliance made by them, however I wouldn’t hesitate to own-and in fact do own-a Samsung television.

I know, thread drift. But interesting comment. So why? We have a Samsung glass top electric range and it has been rock solid.

If yours is working apparently it is in the minority. Earlier this year I had a service tech out to fix (replace, actually) the defrost control fan in my refrigerator, I asked him what brand he would suggest, if the fridge ever went out. He said "Anything but Samsung." they break with some regularity and their tech support is lousy, almost nonexistent. He told me about being at a trade convention, all the other manufacturers showing their products had people calmly, happily interacting with prospective clients. At the Samsung booth it was "Like a town hall meeting", a real tension convention. What seems the problem, at least to my way of seeing it is that it's not a appliance anymore, its a computer that happens to be connected to a appliance, one that is made with lower quality materials than they once were.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
broken record here Samsung TV's have been great for us. Dedicated device for streaming Fire TV for us.

Streaming from either the TV or the blu-ray was terrible

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We purchased a couple months ago a 55 inch Toshiba Fire TV. So far, great picture, eady interface with all our streaming services. 55 was about $429, 43 inch is usually around $329, was way cheaper on Black Friday. Available at Amazon or Best Buy, same price, but extended warranty is way cheaper thru Amazon.

Posts: 103 | Registered: January 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I was told on Samsung to go with the 7000 series or higher.

Only if you're into sports and are watching action movies and such. For their uses the base model will do.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I was told on Samsung to go with the 7000 series or higher.

Only if you're into sports and are watching action movies and such. For their uses the base model will do.

Correct. I forgot to include that. As I like to wach sports and moves, I wanted the higher end. Good catch.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Samsung is a Korean company just as an FYI.

I am pretty sure at one time I had a phone by them made in Japan.

At least I remember it that way.

I would not buy their made in Mexico stuff. That I am 100% sure of. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with my Toshiba 4k FireTV.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
So...what'd ya get? Inquiring minds and stuff.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You could take the tv to the hanger for a day and see if the problem persists, if so it's the TV, if not, then perhaps it's something else.

Either way it doesn't matter, just go trade it in, I have a Samsung and LG, the Samsung has the better picture but both are very good, both bought at Costco. Both are smart tv's.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I have, as have both of my adult children, had great luck with Samsung TVs. We have purchased them all from Costco. Their service, prices and selection is second to none.
Mike

Depends on what you want. Their selection of TVs in the +-40" range is pretty sparse. Same thing as I discovered when I looked a year ago. Their prices in that range aren't particularly spectacular, either. I can do as well or better at Best Buy. Probably better.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
So...what'd ya get? Inquiring minds and stuff.
First, re the wifi connection: there is a TiVo right next to the TV, that also uses wifi. The connection to that device has been rock solid. So good, in fact, that I had forgotten that it uses the wifi network, since it has never required any attention. This strengthens the argument that the wifi problem was in the TV, not in my wifi network.

Now to the question of what I got. I was going to do a straight swap, but Costco was out of TCL sets. They offered a Samsung that was selling for the same price, but I chose to kick in an extra twenty bucks for an LG, for two reasons.

First, the TCL had three HDMI inputs, the Samsung only two, and the LG has four.

Second, the Samsung's display was fine when viewed head on, but quality degraded when viewed at an angle. The LG's picture quality when viewed at an angle was much better than the Samsung's.

With those two things, I decided that the extra twenty bucks was worth while.

I brought it home yesterday, did not have time to mess with it, but I did the setup today. The wifi setup showed strong signals on both of my wifi networks, and Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu, all have solid reception.

Warranty is two years and I did spring for the Square Trade extended warranty, for a total of four years. If it dies after that, the total cost of owning the thing will have been around nine bucks / month, or lower if it lasts longer. If it dies before four years, the replacement will be free.

As I said, I don't watch it, but my wife does. Happy wife . . .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post