SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting A New TV. Suggestions Requested.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting A New TV. Suggestions Requested. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I'd go with the Samsung 43" 6 or 7 series. They will be model numbers 6xxx and 7xxx, both are smart TVs which uses Samsung Smart Hub for connecting to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc. They are MSRP about $300 and $400 with the 7s being slightly better and slightly more expensive. I believe both come with three HDMI ports. Their 6 series is their base model.
6 series has two HDMI ports. I did not check the 7xxx. I really want to stay pretty basic, as long as we have wifi for Netflix streaming, 1080P, and 120 refresh rate. Really don't need anything more, don't want to pay for upgrade to anything more.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
https://www.costco.com/Samsung...oduct.100463971.html

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t own a heavy appliance made by them, however I wouldn’t hesitate to own-and in fact do own-a Samsung television.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Your WiFi issues on your current TV may stem from an old Operating System version of Roku (v7). Roku Version 8 resolves some of the issues. Please check out:

https://support.tclusa.com/202...-on-your-tcl-roku-tv

Good luck!

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Your WiFi issues on your current TV may stem from an old Operating System version of Roku (v7). Roku Version 8 resolves some of the issues. Please check out:

Good luck!
I just looked. The information says that updates are checked for at least daily. It showed that the current was 8.2.0.4167, and 8.2.0.4170 is available, so I initiated a download. I am not optimistic about this incremental update fixing the problem. I tried google, to see if I could find what problem(s) this update addresses, but I could not find anything.

I think I'll stick with the plan, to return the TV to Costco tomorrow morning.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
two Samsungs in the house. One about 12 years old, the other about 6. Both have been perfect although the 12 year old one is starting to show it's age as to picture quality as compared to what is on the market today.

The 6 year old has on board smart stuff, but it's really crappy when compared to Roku which we use on both sets. I'd not worry about built in smart and opt for the reletivily inexpensive Roku, or any of the other options. Apple TV is really full featrured but a bit pricy,

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I only see 4 1080p TV's at Costco, two 32 and two 43". You might need to go with a 4K model...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I only see 4 1080p TV's at Costco, two 32 and two 43". You might need to go with a 4K model...
1080P 43" is just fine. I'll take the defective one to Costco in the morning, and see what they have for replacement.

Royal pain in the ass.

The support people were trying to blame weak wifi signal from my router. I looked at the wifi information page on the TV and of course it said "Signal Strength: Excellent."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I have bought nothing but Samsungs since my first flat screen tv in 2006. Okay, that one had issues, but all 4 others are rock-solid, and one from 2008 is still in almost daily use.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
you were already at v8? Yep look into a new solution.
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

Good luck!
I just looked. The information says that updates are checked for at least daily. It showed that the current was 8.2.0.4167, and 8.2.0.4170 is available, so I initiated a download. I am not optimistic about this incremental update fixing the problem. I tried google, to see if I could find what problem(s) this update addresses, but I could not find anything.

I think I'll stick with the plan, to return the TV to Costco tomorrow morning.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Samsung for sure. I have a 46" 1080p 120hz that has an amazing picture on it and I bought it in 2010 and it works flawless, but replaced it with a 65" Samsung. I bought a 75" sony for a customer recently and the picture was nothing to write home about, the old non smart sharp 60" it replaced had a better picture.

If you have the space you might as well go to a 50-55" and go with a UHD as they're sooooo cheap now in that size range. It's hard to find a quality tv in the size range you're looking for. I'm guessing Costco will just give you a store credit for the amount of the TV you have. Costco has a 2 different Samsung 50" UHD tv's for $429.99, Samsung 43" for $279.99 also UHD. Everything else in that size range that Costco is showing on their website is a crap brand except 1 LG and all Samsungs and LG in your size on Costco's website are UHD.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i bought a samsung at costco a year or two ago. Had previous good luck. When hooking it up I saw it was made in Mexico, not Japan. I knew it would not last. Should of returned it, but did not. Now when you turn it on the pix is pink, wtf? Turn it off and back on and it is fine. Its headed for the dump soon. I will not buy another Samsung, fwtw.

Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i bought a samsung at costco a year or two ago. Had previous good luck. When hooking it up I saw it was made in Mexico, not Japan. I knew it would not last. Should of returned it, but did not. Now when you turn it on the pix is pink, wtf? Turn it off and back on and it is fine. Its headed for the dump soon. I will not buy another Samsung, fwtw.

Good luck.
Why would a South Korean company manufacture in Japan?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have an ASUS video monitor that does the same, sometimes turns pink, resolved if turn off and on. Has been doing it for more than a year, still works fine except for that.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've recently bought two Samsung's, love em.

If I recall, Costco models in many cases are not identical to the same model in most other stores. Check the model number. They have some deal with OEM's, I looked at the 43" and it was clearly not as good a picture as the 43" I got at Best Buy.

43" hard to beat price/value
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/s...8402.p?skuId=6268402

55"
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/s...0125.p?skuId=6200125

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My last two have been Sony, great products but a little spendy.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Unless you need/want 4K, which pretty much gives you no choice, I'd avoid a "smart" TV of any brand and get a decent TV plus a Roku box.

Samsung makes great hardware, but I don't trust their "smart" devices, as regards security and privacy, any further than I can spit. Android + Samsung = double plus ungood in this respect, IMO.

Other trustworthy brands: Vizio, Toshiba and LG.

N.B.: I'm recommending a Roku box, in this case, for simplicity. I no longer use them, because they're incompatible with the network tuner and networked DVR server I use. A FireTV stick might also serve. Apple TV would be even better than either, IMO, but they're spendy.

Btw: You claim it's not your WiFi network, and maybe that's so, but it's been my personal experience, born of hours spent on tech-related forums, that people with better wireless network hardware suffer fewer problems with "balky" devices.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
You must have a neighbor who just got a new whiz bang router last cyber Monday and on the same channel as you. If this is the case, getting a new tv will not help. If your router is on "Auto" for selecting channels, try to set it on another channel manually. I just helped my neighbor with the similar problem. Might be worth a try. Good luck to you.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I wouldn’t own a heavy appliance made by them, however I wouldn’t hesitate to own-and in fact do own-a Samsung television.

I know, thread drift. But interesting comment. So why? We have a Samsung glass top electric range and it has been rock solid.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16218 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I was told on Samsung to go with the 7000 series or higher.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post