SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting A New TV. Suggestions Requested.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting A New TV. Suggestions Requested. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I watch zero TV, but my wife does watch. I bought a TCL 43” from Costco in October 2017, fourteen months ago. A “smart” TV that uses streaming via wifi for services like NetFlix, Amazon Prime, etc.

Worked fine for the first year, then a few weeks ago, just over halfway into the warranty period, it started dropping the wifi connection on a regular basis. I have to reset the wifi connection almost daily. It will work for a few hours, maybe a day, then rinse & repeat.

NOT an internet problem, and NOT a problem with my wifi network, as every other device is strong. It is the wifi hardware in the TV.

I am hearing impaired, so “phone calls” go through a relay service. Almost three hours today, with Costco’s “Concierge Service” department, and the conclusion was that I will return the TV tomorrow to exchange for another.

I am looking for recommendations based on personal experience (apologies to RogueJSK re yesterday’s suggestion to google).

Need something in the 40” to 45” range, smart in terms of wifi streaming for Netflix etc., Definitely do not need anything super in terms of 4K or the like. 1080P with 120 Hz refresh rate is plenty.

What good news / bad news can you offer, in terms of your experience?

Note that any replies after 10:00 am EST tomorrow, Wednesday, December 12, 2018, will be of academic interest only, as I expect to be at Costco by that time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have, as have both of my adult children, had great luck with Samsung TVs. We have purchased them all from Costco. Their service, prices and selection is second to none.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both my TVs are Samsungs. Had them for several years now. No problems. Still look good as new.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://slickdeals.net/f/12079...hd-led-lcd-tv-499-99

will be my next tv
the remote is a big deal for me,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sony if watching live action shows
Samsung if more animated or gaming is what it is used for.

I also don’t worry about the smart capabilities of the TV. I use a separate device.
Much better interfaces, upgrades to the device.
TVs are updated so often they tend to fall behind in support for the smart apps built into the TV.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
So far, I see a lot of votes for Samsung, with a handful of others thrwown in.

We're really not looking for anything sophisticated.

Basically, my wife has the morning news shows on while she's getting ready to go to work.

She'll record a few things that she'll watch in the evening, stuff like "Dancing with the Stars." On her day off she might relax with a movie or two. That pretty well sums up the use.

It's not clear to me exactly what Costco is going to do for us, other than accept the problem unit back. They will either do an exchange for a similar model, or will issue a credit / refund to be used toward purchase of any other TV. The Concierge Services department indicated that the store would let me know when I take the failed unit back, tomorrow.

I see one advantage of the TCL vs. the Samsung -- three HDMI inputs, as opposed to two. Right now we're only using two, but the existence of the spare is comforting, in the event that we pick up another device like Apple TV or whatever.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I like my Samsung electronics

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Our 2 TVs are both Samsungs. a ~10yr old 42" LED (non-smart), and an almost 1 yr old 65" 4K series 8.

Quite pleased with both.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I'm going to buy a new TV for our condo next summer about the same size as you are looking at. I have been leaning to the TCL Roku line as I have read some good things about them. Sorry to hear you have issues with a TCL.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

Sorry to hear you have issues with a TCL.
It's a device. Devices break. The true test is, how does the vendor (Costco, in this case) take care of you when that happens.

I'll find out tomorrow morning.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I would only consider Samsung and Sony. There are other notable brands offered in Japan but in the US market, I would only consider these two. Not that you can't buy something more cost effective or something that will provide a good viewing experience. But all told, again, it's only Samsung and Sony for me.

But while Samsung offers nice panels, I will usually buy a Sony XBR series. In a nutshell, it's basically for similar reason why I will always buy Lexus over Equus.

I will second any motion to minimize the 'smartness' of the TV. If you need that, get a device (Roku, Apple, Amazon, whatever). The smart aspects of TV's suck.

But YMMV.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I would get an LG or a Samsung. Don’t use the smart features for the most part on TV’s they are slow and problematic. I recommend spending $40 extra and buying a Roku player. It attaches to the HDMI port and is a much more stable, robust, and user friendly way to stream on a TV. There are also more options of streaming services of which many are free. This way you also won’t have to worry about dealing with WiFi on the TV itself. I have a $3000 LG tv and the WiFi drops at least once or twice a month. A $40 Roku is the answer for me.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 Samsung tv’s in our house. We have been satisfied with their sevice/performance.

The oldest Samsung was an early smart tv. Samsung quit supporting smart software years ago. I will not buy a tv based on built in “smart” features.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
LG Oled is awesome!

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have 4 TVs in the house... A samsung, a vizio, an RCA, and a Sharp Aquos. I have also owned LG.

IOW, brand doesn't really matter a whole lot to me*. Some of those TVs are better than others but it is not a big enough difference for me to spend much/any extra money to choose one brand over the other.

I also use Amazon FireTVs instead of on-board streaming apps so the "smart" abilities of my TV are completely superfluous.

*The Sony XBR series are incredible TVs but not enough for me to spend the extra money so far.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Just a few other sleuthing ideas for your WiFi issues. If you haven't already, check the TV for any system updates. A device working great then all of a sudden not connecting right causes me to think that could be a possibly culprit. Based on a google search it looks like TCL tvs did have some Wifi issues with a semi-recent patch. Hard cycle both your router/modem. Trying connecting to a different frequency if possible, ie. 2.4 vs 5 Ghz. Possibly try factory restore on the TV. Some people recommended enable a Fast boot on certain models of the Tv. Not familiar with that but might be worth a try. Also, have you added any other new WiFi devices around the time problems came up. There are some scenarios where you have too many devices of varying standards that the router could be having issues supporting them all.
Did the factory reset. Did power cycle the router, did not mess with the modem as this has nothing to do with wifi (separate modem & router boxes).

Resetting network on the TV restores service. For a few hours, maybe for a day. Then same problem, wifi connection is lost. Rinse. Repeat.

No other changes in wifi network, no new devices. Problem is isolated to the TV. Costco says that they will make me whole. We'll see, tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the older Sony CRT (Trinitron) keeps chugging along.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Another vote for LG here. The Wifi on our 46" TV works just fine and it's 4 years old.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

Sorry to hear you have issues with a TCL.
It's a device. Devices break. The true test is, how does the vendor (Costco, in this case) take care of you when that happens.

I'll find out tomorrow morning.

It's Costco, they will take care of you, don't worry. They will likely let you decide what to do, either same size/specs (probably one model year newer) or refund and get whatever you want, you then pocket or pay the difference.

I'd go with the Samsung 43" 6 or 7 series. They will be model numbers 6xxx and 7xxx, both are smart TVs which uses Samsung Smart Hub for connecting to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc. They are MSRP about $300 and $400 with the 7s being slightly better and slightly more expensive. I believe both come with three HDMI ports. Their 6 series is their base model. I wouldn't bother with 8 or 9 for your needs

The smart hub is pretty darn good, they will be some points where they are a day behind updating an app and it's annoying, but it's extremely infrequent. I like that I can use one remote to access apps and Vs buying a ruku or similar.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I bet you're glad you bought at Costco since it went out 2 months after warranty would've ended in most other stores. My first flat screen was about $2200 and went out 2 months after the warranty. The repair place nickel and dimed me into 2/3 the cost of a new TV. That experience really sold me on buying TVs from Costco.

I have two 2015 smart TVs in my house - a LG (larger of the two) in the living room and a Samsung in the master bedroom. The LG was more money, and it's noticeably better. It is 240 Hz so sports like hockey are much better, it remembers passwords longer for SmartTV, rarely comes up with service unavailable for Amazon (Samsung routinely says unavialable), and best of all it has the magic remote which works like a mouse (i.e. fantastic for inputting e-mail and password for smart tv).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for Samsung. I've had mine for about 3 years and never had an issue with it.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post