SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is your property surrounded by a moat?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is your property surrounded by a moat? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a big lake. But I am not sure if I am allowed to go there anymore.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I live in Florida, so yes on the alligator part.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on an island with a bridge that I have the tools to remove. And there are now man eating sharks around the island. does that count?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I have a sprinkler system for the lawn. And then there is a rather old cantankerous Australian cattle dog that has irritable bowel syndrome, so every time he barks he farts. I am pretty sure that is on par with the alligators.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Live alligators are actually quite inexpensive if you are will to get them as babies so that only adds say a grand to my 80k number.

Course there is the feeding/maintenance.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Sorry, only armed dachshunds

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I prefer to fill my moat with oil covered in a thin layer of dirt to hide it from intruders. They step forward thinking it's solid ground, then fall in. If they don't immediately sink and drown, I just fire off a flaming arrow into the moat and watch them burn.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, kinda sorta....

My property is surrounded on all sides by the humble abodes of my redneck cousins and all of their in-bred pit bulls (which are sort of like "dry-land" versions of alligators that can't swim, but sure as hell can bite like angry gators!)

I am sure that all of the above would seek to defend me and my home=place if the need arrived, but the attempted rescue might be worse than the invaders! Nevertheless, I love them all because they are blood kin - even though the family tree does have a few gnarly, twisted limbs.

Posts: 1625 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HERITAGE
posted Hide Post
When this is one of your toys as a kid:

, yeah, you devote some time into thinking about having a moat around your house!

Posts: 328 | Location: MI | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

No moat, but 6ft no climb fencing surrounding the entire acreage. The fence cuts off the front door from access, so there is a remote doorbell button next to the fence gate. I just ordered a sign to be made to go above the doorbell button, says "Press here to release the hounds".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HERITAGE:
When this is one of your toys as a kid:
, yeah, you devote some time into thinking about having a moat around your house!
Lol, had the same one! Fisher-Price was the best!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Yes. It has proven most effective at keeping the black knight at bay.

Yes, it has a drawbridge; it greatly improves ingress and egress.

No alligators or piranhas, however. Those sort of things ruin the moat's usefulness as a lazy river on hot days.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
This one in Alpharetta is boss!

Alpharetta Castle House

I drive by this all the time when heading to my inlaws. It legit has a full moat with draw bridges that go to the garages.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
When we were house hunting, we looked at a place that had a few streams on the borders of the property.

I made the comment to my wife that "with a little digging, I could make it a proper moat!"... The eye roll I got told me that house was off her list.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No moat; I have this thing about mosquitoes...

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Half by moat, with gators, the other half with fencing and two gates. 900' driveway backed by a scoped M1A and an FN FAL. Concrete block house. But, we're friendly. Our posture is purely defensive...

I am considering adding a palisade, motte, bailey and keep. I also need proper gatehouses. With murder holes, of course. Finally, my battlements are grossly insufficient.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Cannons, armor and moats? This would be an incredible theme park.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And codpiece

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t a moat seep into the bunker?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
And codpiece

Lord help us all if this turns out to be the theme park's version of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids".

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post