SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just put down one of my cats--RIP Spike
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just put down one of my cats--RIP Spike Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted
I lost my 12-year-old indoor cat, Spike, today. He'd been less active/lethargic the past few days and yesterday wouldn't even come to see me. He wasn't eating or drinking and got dehydrated. I took him to the Vet yesterday and they hydrated him and sent him home with special food. When I looked at him today he was not moving at all. Back to the Vet, who said he was on the verge of death and was in pain, so I had him euthanized. I held him and talked to him all through the process. He will be cremated and honored in a cobalt glass vase in my curio cabinnet, alongside his older brother Rusty, who died in 2014.

This is the first pet that I've held while he died, and I'm a little broken up about it right now. I've got to recover, though, because Spike has 2 littermate sisters and 3 unrelated cats in my house and they need me. (Also 1 outdoor cat.)

RIP Spike. Here is a recent photo of him:
DSC_0810.jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Tough day man. Sorry for your loss.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
It's always hard to lose a pet, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm sure you gave Spike a very loving and comfortable home.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
RIP Spike

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Tough day, sorry for your loss.

I cried like a baby when my cat was put down while I was holding him.

The family has somewhat of a pet cemetery where the good ones have been going for the past 40+ years. Under a nice big oak in a pasture. Another hard day to dig that hole.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this, Flashguy. It's always tough to have to make decisions like this. Mrs. 'Hook and I send our condolences and blessings to you.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear! RIP Spike!

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
r i p spike.

putting down our 13 year old golden retriever 20 years ago is still one of my saddest days.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
They don’t last long enough. I held my cat at the end as well. They gave her a shot so she wouldn’t fight the final shot. She was pain free I could tell and slipped away. Poor little thing. Sorry for your loss as you can tell lots here that can relate, not that it makes it any easier.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
spike looked quite the cat. sad to hear.

fair journeys, spike, to the bridge.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Flashguy sorry about losing Spike. We had to put down our Orange Tabby 3 weeks ago. We came home from dinner to find him in congestive heart failure. Rushed him to the vet and had to make the same decision that you did. He was only 11 and was showing no sign prior to us finding him. Of our 3 cats, he was the coolest cat I have ever had. He was more like a dog than cat and extremely bonded to my wife. His brother is still around and a little off even after 3 weeks. I did the same as you held him talking to him making him comfortable in his last moments. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the first pet I did that with, but it was no easier this time around. It is the hardest part of living with pets.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. Frown

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. Looked like a great kitty!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, flashguy. So hard to lose our pets!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and yours.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fine cat! My condolences.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the loss. You gave him a loving home. All any pet can hope for.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sorry flash, RIP Spike.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about Spike. Definitely looks like you gave him a very comfortable life. It's amazing how much of your heart they take with you when they go.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post