SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Strict" NC Voter ID law struck down / SC won't hear appeal because of DEM NC governor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Strict" NC Voter ID law struck down / SC won't hear appeal because of DEM NC governor Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
need to add a note: The article says "strict" voter ID is struck down. I don't think you need documentation to vote in NC

2013: NC Republican-controlled Legislature imposed new voter ID requirements

The law was then challenged by the obama administration & civil rights groups

A trial judge rejected arguments that the law violated the Constitution

A three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, in Richmond, Va., disagreed.

The appeals court ruling struck down five parts of the law: its voter ID requirements, a rollback of early voting to 10 days from 17, an elimination of same-day registration and of preregistration of some teenagers, and its ban on counting votes cast in the wrong precinct.

The court found that all five restrictions “disproportionately affected African-Americans.”

The law, the court said, eliminated one of two “souls-to-the-polls” Sundays when black churches provided rides to polling places.

In December, state officials asked the Supreme Court to hear their appeal in the case, North Carolina v. North Carolina State Conference of the NAACP, No. 16-833

Two months later, in an unusual last-minute procedural maneuver, two newly elected Democratic officials — Gov. Roy Cooper and Attorney General Josh Stein — asked the court to dismiss the state’s petition seeking review . Lawyers for the General Assembly opposed the motion.

In his statement on Monday, Chief Justice Roberts said the Supreme Court’s decision to decline to grant the petition seeking review, or petition for certiorari, turned on that dispute.

“Given the blizzard of filings over who is and who is not authorized to seek review in this Court under North Carolina law,” the chief justice wrote, quoting an earlier decision, “it is important to recall our frequent admonition that ‘the denial of a writ of certiorari imports no expression of opinion upon the merits of the case.’”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...ytpolitics&smtyp=cur

so NC strict voter ID is overturned. The Supreme Court won't hear the NC appeal because the DEM NC governor asked the SC to dismiss the petition seeking review

We need to keep voting DEMs out of every federal, state & local office

here is a link about voter ID requirements. It says no document required to vote in NC

http://www.ncsl.org/research/e...paigns/voter-id.aspx

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
HB2 was Gov. McCrory's nail in his coffin.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
So, as I understand it, striking down this law says, in effect, that it discriminates against black voters.

Why? Because they can't figure out how to get an ID card, even when they are free?

God help this poor country, and PLEASE HURRY!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
I long for the day when the lie that is 'disparate impact' is tested against Constitutional Limitations and found to be bull shit.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Voting in NC is an absolute fucking joke. You show up in your precinct, say your name and address and then are given a ballot to vote. I could have said I was my neighbor with all the Hillary signs in his yard and cast a vote for Trump if I got there before him and new his name. The DOJ needs to step in and look at voter fraud in my state.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Voting in NC is an absolute fucking joke. You show up in your precinct, say your name and address and then are given a ballot to vote. I could have said I was my neighbor with all the Hillary signs in his yard and cast a vote for Trump if I got there before him and new his name. The DOJ needs to step in and look at voter fraud in my state.

Amen. I'm sick of this shit and voter fraud has been rampant the last two elections.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Why? Because they can't figure out how to get an ID card, even when they are free?

Yes, that's exactly it. The Left figures blacks are too dumb or lazy to going about helping themselves and going out and getting a FREE ID.

And WE are the racists? Confused

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
As an Indiana resident, I have to show ID every time I vote, and they check it against the precinct registry in a book before I'm allowed to enter the booth. It takes 30 seconds and is in no way a hardship...unless you're illegal and shouldn't be voting anyway. State IDs are free, too, so I really don't see how someone can present a valid argument against this.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The appeals court ruling struck down five parts of the law: its voter ID requirements, a rollback of early voting to 10 days from 17, an elimination of same-day registration and of preregistration of some teenagers, and its ban on counting votes cast in the wrong precinct.

OK, so basically the Democrat Governor, NC Attorney General, and the 3 Appeals judges are saying the following:

1. Black Americans are not capable of getting any form of ID.
2. They are incapable of getting anywhere on time, so they need 17 days instead of 10 days to figure out how to get to the polls early. Much less on the actual day to vote. (stereotype much?)
3. That their children are so slow or so busy to register to vote on their 18th birthday that they need to pre-register.
(Mr voter register person, my kids only 12, but I need to go ahead and pre-register them to vote. There is no way they can make it on their birthday or before they actually vote. they're busy that day.)
4. They are so direction-ally challenged they can't actually make it to the correct polling place.

I do not have a problem with same day registration, as long as they can prove who they are.

If I were a Black American citizen, this whole voter ID issue would offend the ever loving hell out of me. Hell it offends my white privileged ass. That you presume just because a person is a Black American that they can't get the above done.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Yes, that's exactly it. The Left figures blacks are too dumb or lazy to going about helping themselves and going out and getting a FREE ID.

And WE are the racists? Confused

I guess the dims must have something right, the blacks keep voting for the dims.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
NC is a great place to live, but they have a tendency to underthink/overthink laws sometimes and go for overreach. Think 'nanny-state meets bible-belt.'

It is illegal, for example, in this state to give your underage kid a sip of beer or wine in your own home. This is not a new law - it dates to the murky days of all Democratic governance that only recently ended.

The HB2 was an overreach as well, albeit a pure Republican one. Could have just slapped down Charlotte's nonsense - i.e make a law that "no city can require businesses to provide extra bathrooms just 'cause they feel like it" - ...but nooooo....let's overreach.

The blowback from HB2 cost McCrory his job, and that in turn cost us this appeal.

Now, this voter law had some aspects that are not adequately summarized as 'Voter ID'. It turns out many predominantly minority churches organize bus trips to early voting locations, and some R legislators were caught strategizing how to minimize that.

If it has been a clean, 'you must show valid ID' law it would have probably won the challenges, and no need for the Supremes to get all black-robed about it.

But, nooooooo....let's overreach and reduce early voting too.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
The thing against pre registering teenagers may be a legitimate overreach

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
NC can just vote on a simple (free state issued ID) ID requirement and be done with it.

Then the next bill is to reduce voting early.

Right now the laws are so fucking retarded that I can vote as anyone, as long as I know his name and address. Then go elsewhere and vote again as another person.

And I agree, the voting scamming is rampant here in NC.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Serious question, has anyone determined just how many people don't have photo ID? Is it really a problem?
Recall a video where a reported on the street asked people if they had a photo ID the vast majority were Black and everybody had an ID.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not just issue them their ID along with their SNAP Card? Guaranteed participation.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Why not just issue them their ID along with their SNAP Card? Guaranteed participation.

Don't even need two cards, just make the SNAP a legit photo ID.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How hard would it be to pull every ballot cast by a dead person, fingerprint the ballot and if the prints show up in a database charge the mofo with voter fraud?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
If someone votes using another person's name and address and later the real registered person shows up, what happens? Do they just say "sorry, you already voted?"

Similarly, what happens if the liar voter gives a name and address that's not on the rolls? Do they just say "sorry, you're not on the list?"

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
NC is a great place to live.....
NOT..Overcrowded shithole ..think New Jersey south..

Use to be ok till being overrun with others.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I couldn't help but notice on that map.

The majority of the states that require no document to vote tend to vote overwhelmingly for the Democrats.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post