SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Railroad apologizes for using ‘bait truck’ to lure thieves in Chicago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Railroad apologizes for using ‘bait truck’ to lure thieves in Chicago Login/Join 
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
The apology is likely because Chicago is pissed they weren’t informed of it beforehand.

They're pissed they didn't get their shoes.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
I understand that the police were not involved,

It says the Chicago Police Department was not involved.

I’d say the operation was done by Norfolk Southern Railroad Police.

The apology is likely because Chicago is pissed they weren’t informed of it beforehand.

I assure you that nobody in the CPD had hurt feelings if they weren’t notified. There is more than enough work to go around without this

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable. What an absurdity.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15569 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's Norfolk Southern jurisdiction. They have their own Police, they do their own thing.
The only time Chgo Police come into play is when they toss the bad guys in our lock-up.

Honestly, I wish there were more joint operations like this. There was literally a truck load of guns stolen not too long ago. Stings like this curtail the bullshit and develop leads on other stuff.

I still can't believe that we apologize for locking up criminals.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was going to post this in the Chicago shootings thread but couldn't find it.

Chicago PD is considering changing the sirens on its patrol vehicles to a recording of the National Anthem. The theory is that this will cause fleeing suspects to stop and take a knee.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Jim Sugary 13,000 posts and you have not been called a racist?

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Sugary

Banned
posted Hide Post
Funny, Sugart

posted Hide Post
Wonder if Nike donated the shoes for the Op. I'm sure they will have an apology and a giveaway, to restore trust and all.
CPD Sig, hope you don't have too many more years to do there.

Posts: 3593 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Wow. What a shithole.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
quote:

I assure you that nobody in the CPD had hurt feelings if they weren’t notified. There is more than enough work to go around without this

Has nothing to do with the workload.
I would go to say someone with some weight on their collar at CPD got pulled aside from a “community organizer” about the operation after the fact and they had no clue about it and it was a personal thing.

I’ve been at the game quite sometime and seen it many many times. I always do my best to at least chat when I am in someone elses jurisdiction or have something that likely could spill to another especially if the news is likely to get a hold of it.

Anytime someone got pissed at me it was ALWAYS a personal thing and had nothing to do with work or the outcome of the work.
It was always someone that felt they should have been notified because they think far too highly of them self.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is only one way to make this right.Bring in a trainload of Nike shoes and hand them out with free government cheese.

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Well, it could have been a truckload of watermelons...

That would be considered hunting over a baited field.

I have been a proud member here for years because of the intelligent discussions and wealth of knowledge we share with each other.

But why is it every time there is a story that features Blacks as the bad guy, folks on this board feel the need to get their overtly racist comments in?

It’s embarrassing and unnecessary.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12324 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm not a racist. I was trying to point out, perhaps not very clearly, that Nike shoes are the new watermelon/fried chicken. Apologies offered to anyone who was offended.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me this is a bit like a person building a pit trap in their back yard to catch someone they know has been on their property. The railroad surely had some indication of problems with pilferage and wanted to catch those responsible. Setting up your own sting operation isn't too smart, regardless of intent. I doubt any PD is going to endorse that.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
To me this is a bit like a person building a pit trap in their back yard to catch someone they know has been on their property. The railroad surely had some indication of problems with pilferage and wanted to catch those responsible. Setting up your own sting operation isn't too smart, regardless of intent. I doubt any PD is going to endorse that.

Railroad police typically have full police powers. This isn't some fly by night security operation.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It's a very sad day in this country when Law & Order must apologize and kowtow to criminals. JSMH...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Police everywhere use sting operations. Railroad police are fully vested police officers.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:

Railroad police typically have full police powers. This isn't some fly by night security operation.

Yeah, I do get that but it wasn't the point I was trying to make. I worked in the biz and understand that all of these large transportation companies (and many large retailer's too) have entire departments committed to security and loss prevention. Maybe comparing it to a pit trap in a back yard was a poor choice. I wasn't disputing the quality or need of the railroad policing. Rather, that the local PD isn't going to endorse it if they're not tied to the operation. At least (IMHO) why would they. What's the benefit to Chicago PD really. Stopping some Nike shoes from being ripped off out of a staged container seems like bad PR to me. No matter if it's the NS or the Chicago PD running the deal. Maybe that's just the best way to catch the bad guys I guess.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is why I get dizzy; people are turning the world further upside-down.

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post