SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Railroad apologizes for using ‘bait truck’ to lure thieves in Chicago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Railroad apologizes for using ‘bait truck’ to lure thieves in Chicago Login/Join 
posted
I was confused by the apology. Sometime back I posted a story about how quite a number of guns were stolen on a railyard in Chicago. I understand that the police were not involved, however I do not see why an apology was needed. I really do not see this sort of thing as entrapment. Here is the story and link:

CHICAGO — Norfolk Southern Railroad has apologized for using a bait truck loaded with shoes to lure potential thieves on Chicago's South Side, and prosecutors have dropped charges against three people arrested during the sting.

Norfolk Southern issued a statement Friday saying it recognized the recent operation "eroded trust between law enforcement and the community" and says it doesn't plan to use this method in the future.

Civil rights activists and local aldermen criticized the operation . Residents of the Englewood neighborhood filmed police arresting a man and accused officers of trying to entrap poor residents with the truck. Residents featured in the video, which went viral, said the truck was stocked with Nikes.

The Cook County State's Attorney's Office says burglary charges were dropped against three people.

A Chicago Police spokesman says the department was not involved in planning the operation.

TRADEMARK AND COPYRIGHT 2018 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

LINK https://wgntv.com/2018/08/10/r...-thieves-in-chicago/

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Well, it could have been a truckload of watermelons...

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
"eroded trust between law enforcement and the community"

Yep it sure did. Eroded the trust that the police should be able to have that the community won't take stuff that doesn't belong to them.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
That's just the Crook county way. It's ok to be a thief as long as you blame it on being poor. Or being a minority.

We use bait cars all the time, and will never apologize for catching criminals.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't anyone teach them not to STEAL stuff and you won't get stung?
So much FAIL in this story!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
"eroded trust between law enforcement and the community"

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I follow second city cop blog quite a bit, and one of my favorite lines that they have posted more than once is something along the lines of, "someone needs to tell us which laws we are not allowed to enforce against certain segments of the population so that we are all on the same page."

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The thieves were poor people so they get a pass. Okey-dokey. Roll Eyes

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’m perfectly ok with criminals not trusting police.

Their statment means that the community is criminals. Why shouldn’t the community feel good about thieves being caught?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
“Terpay also denied allegations from community activists that police left the bait truck open. Video surveillance shows a man using box cutters to break open the safety seal on the unmarked trailer, she said, and additional footage shows two men finding the boxes of shoes, which were not visible from the street.”

Then this wasn’t “The truck was left with the back open and boxes of shoes about to fall out.”

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well they have to apologize to the criminals as it wouldn't be right if they didn't. I swear we are living in bizarro world.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicago

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Welcome to my world!

CPD SIG, I am well on the way now with our new "progressive" prosecutor being elected. He may even end up outdoing your Kim Foxx. He is already complaining that the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney's Office is filled with 3 decades worth of prosecutors hired by the outgoing prosecutor.

Just read this morning that Saint Michael Brown's absentee mother is going to run for the now empty Ferguson City Council seat. Eek

Fuck me sideways. Three more freaking years. Mad Eek Frown

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Well, it could have been a truckload of watermelons...

That would be considered hunting over a baited field.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand that the police were not involved,

It says the Chicago Police Department was not involved.

I’d say the operation was done by Norfolk Southern Railroad Police.

The apology is likely because Chicago is pissed they weren’t informed of it beforehand.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'd say NS shouldn't have apologized.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'll promise you this...back in the 2000s I welded new door hasps on almost every box car that came into Chattanooga's DeButts Yard from Calumet Yard in Chicago...it was almost a running joke, it was so bad. I'm embarrassed that NS would issue an apology for trying to catch those thieving bastards...

As a side note...in early summer of 2011, right before I retired, we welded a new door hasp on one of the broken into cars from Chicago...the smell of something dead was so strong we would not open it...a few weeks later we found out that they found two dead bodies in the boxcar at the Birmingham AL yard (I'm sure they were swelled up to the point of exploding)...if my memory is correct the car was carrying copper scraps.

I can only imagine how much worse it is now.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apology for what? Catching thieves? When I hear the words, "the community" I know blacks are involved. I hate thieves no matter the color.

What are the "communities" doing to rid themselves of crime? All they do is march & block roads. That's not going to get it done, stand up & take responsibility, don't ask others to fix your bullshit.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post