SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guess what this is(vintage engine part)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guess what this is(vintage engine part) Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
I bet there's only a few here who know what this is and what it goes on. Big Grin
I picked it up at an awesome estate sale today for $2.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Kanuter valve, obviously.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It looks like a distributor, but I have no idea off what engine.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like a tractor magneto, is it?

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Magneto?

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely a magneto, but I have no idea what it fits.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
It looks like a tractor magneto, is it?

Yeppers.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Flux Capacitor

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allis-Chalmers?

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
Allis-Chalmers?

I THINK it came off of a Farm-all.
I know they're as rare as hens teeth and it was cordoned for the scrap pile!! Eek

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If it's off a Farmall, it would be off a "new" letter series like an A, B, C or H.

I have an F-14. The F-12/F-14 engine is the basis of the A/B engine and uses an IH magneto with which I have become intimately familiar. And I don't mean that in a good way. I don't know if it's just my mag in particular or that style in general but it is a cast iron bitch to start when it's even a little bit damp out.

Edit: Can you get me a shot of the writing on the main casting? I may be able to narrow it down for you.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15208 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Fairbanks Morse FMJ
4B3

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Fairbanks Morse FMJ
4B3

Pretty sure that's an Allis Chalmers unit. B, C or CA most likely.

Edit: A quick surf shows it used on the Allis WC

Posts: 15208 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Will someone want or need this?

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Will someone want or need this?

Quite possibly. Post it on an antique tractors board like Yesterday's Tractors

Shaman
posted Hide Post
OK,
There's a tractor show in August here too.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You want Farmall?

This guy had Farmall and then some!

https://www.facebook.com/Dream...sts/1500869583296810

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone say Magneto??

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you do a mag check before starting to plow?

I love surf guitar too, that video was great, but big!

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:...

ALL MY BASS ARE BELONG TO HER!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post