SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird Virus message
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird Virus message Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I just got a weird virus nessage on this iPad, that I ignore at my peril, go to the App store and download some app or the 2 viruses would infect everything I own and the horse I rode in on.

What ought I to do? I imagine steering clear of that app might be a good start.

I just upgraded a few days ago to iOS 12.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert on Apple products, by any means. I've had the same things pop up on my iPad and have ignored them for the most part. Once in a while I'll do a hard reset (?) if it hangs up.

I get this from some websites on my Android phone, too.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This wouldn’t have anything to do with my failure to buy a couple zillion megabytes in the iCloud, would it, 200 weeks in?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I just got a critical security alert from google on one of my e-mail accounts.

posted Hide Post
I think it is a ruse to get you to download some malware. Others with more knowledge will be along I am sure. Would ignore for time being.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I just got a weird virus nessage on this iPad, that I ignore at my peril, go to the App store and download some app or the 2 viruses would infect everything I own and the horse I rode in on.

What ought I to do? I imagine steering clear of that app might be a good start.

I just upgraded a few days ago to iOS 12.

You are good to go brother! When you see these, go to Setting>Safari>Clear History and Website Data and restart Safari and then surf as normal. While in safari settings, make sure sure “Block Popups” is also checked.

I see these from time to time as well. While they try hard to make them look like viruses, mostly they are actually ads. In the same way you get ads pop up on certain websites, they use these services, to direct pop ups disguised as scary warnings and virus alerts, in an effort to get you to download something else. This is called Phishing, which is a fraudulent attempt at gathering data, CC info, private info, etc through legitimate looking means. This tactic is often used in email by disguising emails to look EXACTLY like it was sent by Apple, google, Norton, etc to get you to click on a link or call a number. Google or YouTube “how to avoid phishing attacks” to learn more.

In the end, the action of clearing the safari data is to blow out whatever cookie that add placed that makes it pop up again when you visit that website or an article from that domain. Happy surfing J!

Posts: 587 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep getting calls from Microsoft about viruses on my Windows system. Try as I might, I cannot find Windows on my Mac.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
This wouldn’t have anything to do with my failure to buy a couple zillion megabytes in the iCloud, would it, 200 weeks in?

As an Apple Stockholder I feel it is my Duty to inform you that YES, you do need to buy a couple zillion megabytes in the Icloud. It's beneficial to Our Great Nation and it will put another penny or two into my dividend.

As for your Virus issue, I would suggest Clorox, it not only kills bacteria and virus' but it also kills mold. Can't have a moldy Ipad can we?

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
2 viruses would infect everything I own and the horse I rode in on

I don’t know, but for God’s sake save the horses!
Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post