SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking Debt Advice After My Mother's Death
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking Debt Advice After My Mother's Death Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted
My mother died suddenly May 15th. She did everything financially for my father. They'd been struggling with money after several bad breaks. We helped them out several times over the years but I didn't know how bad it was. I was heartbroken to find out that Mom even sold her wedding ring.

We've helped my dad sell the house they partially built to pay it off because he just can't maintain or afford it. We got him moved into an apartment with is subsidized for older people on social security. He's doing very well and is even socializing with his neighbors now.

Our problem is my mother's medical bills. They both spent several weeks in the hospital last year and have been paying it off. We contacted the hospital after Mom passed and made arrangements to cut down the payments so Dad could afford to pay them. They agreed but now we've gotten a letter from an attorney threatening to sue my mother's "estate" for the remaining 7% of the balance. There is no goddamn estate. There's only debt. We want to pay these people but how much should I worry about a lawsuit?

What's really crazy is when we called Amazon to make arrangements for what she owed them, they just forgave the debt outright.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Is this correct - he has little to no assets and only receives social security?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'd tell them to fuck off. If he has a negative net worth, what can they sue him for? AFIK you can not garnish SS payments and he's too old to harvest organs for repayment. If they have paid 93% of the over inflated debt, they the hospital is not loosing any money, so pops should not let his pride get in the way.

I would consider contacting a lawyer and getting a couple hundred dollar consult on how to proceed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
When my MIL passed her estate had to stand good for any outstanding debt that she had. What remained was quite small and was easily forgiven.

Although the hospital my opt to sue they won't find any assets and it should die a natural death.

All that said you should get a reply from some of SF members that are attorney's that will shed more light on the subject.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My sympathies and condolences to you my friend.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if they are truley broke ,
check to see ( with the head of the billing dept. In Person)

to see if they have financial assistance available.

not an e-mail, not a phone call

if they have any insurance at all ,
and
especially if they are a not for profit hospital ,
it may help you out considerably .

and look for a not for profit hospital for you father for the future and see if he is eligible for financial assistance .

check with an attorney to get the home out of your fathers name and in too your's a.s.a.p

get his funeral, grave and such paid for ,

on the day he passes , nothing of any value should be in his name,
get this taken care of long before his time is up

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, sorry for your loss.
Second I suspect that you received an auto letter that was generated once they were notified of her passing. Basically trying to get the estate to pay them. No research or thought on their part just an auto-pen letter. I understand there isn't any money there, they didn't know that and didn't research it.
Third, if dad only has the SS coming in I'm fairly certain that they can't come after that. I'd find a way to let them know that and then forget about it.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
42 years at Social Security so I used to see these situations all the time. As Skins accurately stated, the hospital cannot and will not garnish the SS, so absolutely no worries there. My area was Social Security, not dealing with debt. But I was around these situations enough to learn a few things. Bendable is right on target. My advice, take Bendable's advice. And don't lose a moment's sleep over your parent's debt. Sounds like your father is doing well. That's what is important.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Yes. After the house sells he wants to pay Us back for Moms expenses. After tHt I think he will have a little but not much.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As others have advised, check with a local attorney. Where I live you can apply for something called a "years support" and shield some assets.
Basically that means he could shield the minimal things he may have. There may also be a way to keep them from calling or contacting him. Hopefully your state has something similar.
I suspect they are just trying to scare your dad into coughing up some money. It may not be the medical providers themselves but a collection agency they sell hard to collect debt to.
They can't get blood out of a turnip.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if this is a direction for you, I just always communicate with people, especially in a hard time for you to go through.

Best of luck to you.

https://www.letterofhardship.n...or_medical_bills.php

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would consider contacting a lawyer and getting a couple hundred dollar consult on how to proceed.

not just any lawyer, contact one with elder law experience, may get assistance pro bono.

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is some scam deal. If you've negotiated the debt with the hospital, I would think they may not be aware of this BS. I'd contact them.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my dad died last year, my mom just told every debtor that he passed. She never got any threatening letters of anything that's I know of for medical bills credit cards etc.

What are they gonna do?

My guess is they are bothering you because you've been paying. I bet if you had told them to pound sand from jump, it would have been different.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Yes. After the house sells he wants to pay Us back for Moms expenses. After tHt I think he will have a little but not much.

This is where you need actual legal advice. Assuming she was a joint owner of the home, he may run into issues if he sells it, takes the equity and stiffs her other creditors. I know it sucks, but to protect him and you, get some clarity on how best to proceed.

I agree with the others that if it was as simple as they were both and jointly broke the creditors can pound sand, though you could try to pay them something out of fairness. I actually went through this with a relative who died upside down by thousands, and we just walked away from it all. House with reverse mortgage, car in the garage with perhaps $1K in equity, furnishings, etc. We just pointed creditors toward the estate, which didn't exist. I couldn't clean up 40 years of stupid.

Your case is different with dad still around and apparently some equity in the home. Just make sure he's not exposing himself to issues down the road.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
If I understand, your mom had no assets. Your dad sold their only asset being the house. The estate cannot pay any debts unless your father pays from his SS check. I don't think that he has to worry. The attorney trying to sue will have nothing to get. He probably doesn't know the financial state of the estate.

Best bet - check with an attorney. I don't think anyone can garnish SS payments so he may be able to stop the payments all together.

Last option since all he has is debt, File Bankruptcy.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I regret your loss. Your dad SS will be ok. In general, For most types of debt, including credit cards, medical bills, and personal loans, Social Security cannot be garnished to pay the debt. If you owe money to a creditor, the creditor can go to court and get an order to take money from your bank account. If your Social Security check is directly deposited in the bank, the bank is required to protect Social Security benefits from garnishment. When a creditor tries to freeze a debtor's bank account, the bank is required to look at the debtor's previous two months of transactions to determine if the debtor received any Social Security benefits by direct deposit. For example, if you receive $1,500 a month in Social Security, the bank is required to allow you to use up to $3,000 in your account.

Also, In Oklahoma, a creditor with a court order to collect a money judgment cannot touch most pensions or take consumers' homes unless you don't pay your mortgage. Sometimes there are 'exemptions' or reasons that the bank cannot garnish your account.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post

No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
not just any lawyer, contact one with elder law experience, may get assistance pro bono.

If the OP contacts a lawyer, it needs to be one with probate experience. The issue here is the hospital filing a claim against the estate. And yes, sometimes estates are all debt. The rules about debts, claims, and what a creditor can recover are completely state specific.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
When my alcoholic father died, my mother thought she was required to pay off all of his medical debts. They had been legally separated for over 25 years. He left nothing upon his death, not even a will.

She managed to pay the debt off by selling his junk car and from her meager social security.

In hind sight I wish she had contacted an attorney about it.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post