SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Country living can't be beat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Country living can't be beat Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
But you better be prepared for a potential squirrel bomb. I missed one landing on my head by about three steps just now. Eek

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and what about the Hickory nut bomb that just missed my son and I on Saturday?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Better hickory than chestnut.

Ever taken a riding mower under low hanging branches of a chestnut gone to seed?

Those spikey bastards hurt!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Wife & I were walking a village woodlands trail the other day when she screamed bloody murder. I nearly jumped in the creek I was admiring. She was startled by a huge green pine cone (2-3 lbs.) that came crashing through the pine canopy and landed a few feet from her. The squirrels are cutting big green Ponderosa Pine cones from the 3' dia. trees. Then the rodent dashes down to locate his harvest and drags one to a stump or boulder. He eats them like a southern boy eats corn on the cob.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Yes and what about the Hickory nut bomb that just missed my son and I on Saturday?

The ever present danger from all the walnuts it a bit scary as well.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The rattlesnakes and scorpions we worry about here in AZ. For the most part, we do not encounter them, due to good pest control, and good food source control for the snakes. But they are always out there.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Huh... Squirrel bombs... Never would've occurred to me in a million years. Will now.

Got a new hat OTW. Oilskin. Wonder how that'd hold up?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I've been tapped on the head by a swooping killdeer. Musta been mowing too close to the nest.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Had my hat stolen by an owl once. Darn near soiled myself.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Gustofer,

We kids played in the woods next to our property and wearing a coon skin hat was a ...hoot. A new kid was often inducted into the club by wearing the hat until the owl took the bait Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I've been tapped on the head by a swooping killdeer. Musta been mowing too close to the nest.

I've had both mocking birds and blue jay swoop me on the mower when cutting too close to a bush they had a nest in

felt the breeze when sitting on the back deck when hummingbirds come swooping around the side of the house to get at the feeders, I swear one missed my nose by less than an inch

seen squirrels have a bad day and fall out of the tree, but never close to me,

did have one get pinned to the leaning tree I was standing 2 ft away from, by a hawk,
heard the squirrel, then a commotion, turned to see the squirrel pinned by the throat, hawk looked at me, let go of the squirrel, and took off,

squirrel just sat there, stunned, for about 30 seconds , and took off, with a couple big talon marks on his neck,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post